Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

GB DRIVING LICENCE EXCHANGE TO CANADIAN DRIVING LICENCE FOR TWP'S

GB DRIVING LICENCE EXCHANGE TO CANADIAN DRIVING LICENCE FOR TWP'S

Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

sarah.h is an unknown quantity at this point
Default GB DRIVING LICENCE EXCHANGE TO CANADIAN DRIVING LICENCE FOR TWP'S

hi i am moving to vancouver in summer as a TWP can i exchange my GB driving licence to canadian driving licence without sitting in the test,please help
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: GB DRIVING LICENCE EXCHANGE TO CANADIAN DRIVING LICENCE FOR TWP'S

Hi Sarah,

I'll move this thread to the main Canada forum (the immigration one is only for visa/legal type queries), but if you do a quick search or look in the Wiki hopefully you'll find the answer.

Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sarah.h
hi i am moving to vancouver in summer as a TWP can i exchange my GB driving licence to canadian driving licence without sitting in the test,please help
Hi Sarah,

You can exchange your GB license for a full Canadian driving license as long as you have had your GB for 2 years (not including provisional).

So long as you have had it for 2 years then you just need to pop into an ICBC branch your GB driving license, ID (passport works) and $31. They will give y ou an eye test and ask you 3 questions on driving. The questions are pretty straight forward, but are not multiple choice.

I am in BC on a TWP and switched my license over no problem..

All the info can be found here: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ntry/australia
Old Jun 7th 2011, 8:34 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by burks
Hi Sarah,

You can exchange your GB license for a full Canadian driving license as long as you have had your GB for 2 years (not including provisional).

So long as you have had it for 2 years then you just need to pop into an ICBC branch your GB driving license, ID (passport works) and $31. They will give y ou an eye test and ask you 3 questions on driving. The questions are pretty straight forward, but are not multiple choice.

I am in BC on a TWP and switched my license over no problem..

All the info can be found here: http://www.icbc.com/driver-licensing...ntry/australia
Like, what does a flashing green light at a set of traffic lights signify? And no, it's not the same as Ontario!
Old Jun 7th 2011, 9:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

burks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond reputeburks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Like, what does a flashing green light at a set of traffic lights signify? And no, it's not the same as Ontario!
Yep that is one of the Questions I was asked. I was pretty lucky because 2 of my 3 questions I wasn't exactly sure of the answers.. so the lady at ICBC basically prompted me to say the correct thing. Nice of her ay!?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 10:44 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

As said, just swap it over.

Make a photocopy before you do so. If you return to the UK you can swap it back. However, I believe you can only swap it back for an automatic transmission license unless you can prove you passed your test an a manual. As long as you have your old UK driver's license number DVLC can verify this on their computer.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 5:16 pm
Just Joined

brent is an unknown quantity at this point

we went there 7 years ago and had to resit the driving test wifee passed first time i failed twice but got it the 3rd time test is pretty easy compared to ours but when i worked there 3 years ago so brits just exchanged thier licence to canadian ones
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:49 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
As said, just swap it over.

Make a photocopy before you do so. If you return to the UK you can swap it back. However, I believe you can only swap it back for an automatic transmission license unless you can prove you passed your test an a manual. As long as you have your old UK driver's license number DVLC can verify this on their computer.
I'm not sure if this still applies, But I believe you can hand over your photo card but hold onto the paper portion for when you go back to the UK.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I'm not sure if this still applies, But I believe you can hand over your photo card but hold onto the paper portion for when you go back to the UK.
Canadian licences

If you are the holder of a Canadian licence you will receive automatic transmission only when exchanging for a British licence. This can only be upgraded to manual upon presentation of confirmation, from the relevant licensing authority, of a manual test being passed or a manual test is passed in this country.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...nce/DG_4022562

You are probably right about holding onto the paper part.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:37 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

You don't need to hold onto anything other than your driver number. When you return to the UK , contact the DVLA , tell them that you would like your UK license back. They will have all your entitlement categories on file and so will issue the appropraite license back. You don't need to worry about the "automatic only" thing as you are not swapping a license that was gained in Canada you are reclaiming your UK one
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I kept mine! Thought it was bad enough them taking my photocard.. wasn't letting them have the paper version as well!