Reload this Page >

Gated communities in Edmonton?

Gated communities in Edmonton?

Old Mar 20th 2019, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

london.2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Gated communities in Edmonton?

Hi,

Are there any gated communities in Edmonton where you can rent a condo or apartment that is managed by a property management company? - similar to what is typically found across the US.

These are usually communities of a 100-or-so condos or apartments (ground or 1st floor), they got a company office etc. and you just deal with them for rental etc. usually having available units to move in asap.

If yes, can you suggest any names or locations I can check for?

Also, what are the 'better' areas of Edmonton? I've heard the name Strathcona and Glenora a lot, is there like a top 5 list of areas that are more desirable (or maybe just a general geography such as 'look in the South West')?

We are a couple, not a family, so schools etc. are of no interest.

Any suggestions much appreciated.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gated communities in Edmonton?

What are you hoping to get out of a gated community? Are you looking for 24 hour security, or are you likely to be away a lot?

I wouldn't say a gated community is that common here. It makes me think of US style new McMansions, or South Africa!
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:08 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
What are you hoping to get out of a gated community? Are you looking for 24 hour security, or are you likely to be away a lot?

I wouldn't say a gated community is that common here. .....
They're not that common in the US either, and often the gates are left open most of the day/time, or you can just drive up and the gates open, or people just tail-gate through. It is rare that there is a guard house manned 24/7, and therefore the benefits are often illusory.

If the roads in a gated community are state/city maintained, and most are, the roads are a public right of way and blocking the road with a gate isn't actually legal anyway!

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 21st 2019 at 3:13 am.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about Alberta, but I know of a few gated communities in BC, and they are generally for 0ver 50, 55 or 60 (depending on the rules ......... but they are also usually independently owned houses or condos.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 5:30 am
Just Joined

london.2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't say a gated community is that common here. It makes me think of US style new McMansions, or South Africa!
Hi, I'm not looking for a gated one, just thought that it'd be easier to describe the type - in case they are the same in Canada.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 11:54 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london.2014
Hi, I'm not looking for a gated one, just thought that it'd be easier to describe the type - in case they are the same in Canada.
Google is your friend
Townhouse complex's
https://www.google.ca/search?q=townh...cr%3DcountryCA

Condo complex's
https://www.google.ca/search?q=condo...cr%3DcountryCA
Old Mar 21st 2019, 11:58 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by london.2014
Hi,

Are there any gated communities in Edmonton where you can rent a condo or apartment that is managed by a property management company? - similar to what is typically found across the US.

These are usually communities of a 100-or-so condos or apartments (ground or 1st floor), they got a company office etc. and you just deal with them for rental etc. usually having available units to move in asap.

If yes, can you suggest any names or locations I can check for?

Also, what are the 'better' areas of Edmonton? I've heard the name Strathcona and Glenora a lot, is there like a top 5 list of areas that are more desirable (or maybe just a general geography such as 'look in the South West')?

We are a couple, not a family, so schools etc. are of no interest.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

I live in a gated building.

Certainly in Toronto it is very common for buildings to have front desk security/concierge and property management on site too. If you are buying a unit be prepared for a management fee that over time will likely rise above the rate of inflation is my only warning.