Future Shop

Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Future Shop

Originally Posted by willmore
Sent karma for that! All I know is that I love my Mac!
Your not wrong, I have just bought myself a Mac PowerPC "I'm Lovin It" to quote a bad advert for fast food. I was a FreeBSD Unix user both on the desktop and server for about 10 years, I hate windows with a passion - but generally I have to use it for work and some stuff at home so have for the last couple of years run it in a virtual machine emulator.

Dozzzzy

PS Thanks for the karma, here's some for you too
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macmike41
"Mac OS X is the best Macintosh operating system ever for UNIX users" .... I guess that says it all eh - UNIX cant run on its own so if it has to run on summit its best on a OSX Mac.

Don't worry willmore I've dug a deep trench and got my tin hat on.
You seem a little confused Unix does not run on Mac OSX, Unix is Mac OSX with a very nice and usable GUI on top rather than the standard Unix X GUI interface, although you can run that as well if you so wish.

A little very potted history

FreeBSD started development way back in 1993, from tapes of the UBC modified Bell Labs OS. BELL/AT&T development went on and is generally called "System V" today, I think. Berkley Uni, to an early copy and started hacking it about and this eventually became the basis of the BSD distributions. You can look here for a fuller history of FreeBSD and how it came about.

At around FreeBSD version 4, Apple took a snapshot of FreeBSD and started modifying it so that it ran on PowerPC chips and this became Darwin, which is available to download and run. And then they ported over all the Mac niceties and that is what is Mac OS X. Here is a link to a rather fuller history of Apple and Max since its inception in 1976.

Here endeth the lesson. Sorry to preach

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 21st 2006, 9:50 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dozzzzy
You seem a little confused Unix does not run on Mac OSX, Unix is Mac OSX with a very nice and usable GUI on top rather than the standard Unix X GUI interface, although you can run that as well if you so wish.

A little very potted history

FreeBSD started development way back in 1993, from tapes of the UBC modified Bell Labs OS. BELL/AT&T development went on and is generally called "System V" today, I think. Berkley Uni, to an early copy and started hacking it about and this eventually became the basis of the BSD distributions. You can look here for a fuller history of FreeBSD and how it came about.

At around FreeBSD version 4, Apple took a snapshot of FreeBSD and started modifying it so that it ran on PowerPC chips and this became Darwin, which is available to download and run. And then they ported over all the Mac niceties and that is what is Mac OS X. Here is a link to a rather fuller history of Apple and Max since its inception in 1976.

Here endeth the lesson. Sorry to preach

Dozzzzy
WOW Glad you don't speak like that in real life - wouldn't have understood a word you said !! Good to meet you on Saturday .... hope all is well in your world.

Karma to you for posting something that I only understood one line of .....!!

J
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 12:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jenwren
WOW Glad you don't speak like that in real life - wouldn't have understood a word you said !! Good to meet you on Saturday .... hope all is well in your world.

Karma to you for posting something that I only understood one line of .....!!

J
I'm just your average techo geek , but I can speak propper some times.

Yea, it was good to see you last week, nice to put faces to words. Thanks for the karma

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Your not wrong, I have just bought myself a Mac PowerPC "I'm Lovin It" to quote a bad advert for fast food. I was a FreeBSD Unix user both on the desktop and server for about 10 years, I hate windows with a passion - but generally I have to use it for work and some stuff at home so have for the last couple of years run it in a virtual machine emulator.

Dozzzzy

PS Thanks for the karma, here's some for you too

Congratulations on coming over the the winning team! Enjoy your powerbook - I love mine!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 5:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

speaking of mac's, anyone tried playing around with the Win XP boot loader? - http://onmac.net/
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
speaking of mac's, anyone tried playing around with the Win XP boot loader? - http://onmac.net/

I really want to buy a new powerbook with the intel chip, but Im waiting to hear from amy or you on what they are like!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

I really want to buy a new powerbook with the intel chip, but Im waiting to hear from amy or you on what they are like!
expensive
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 6:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
expensive
Well on a serious note for a moment bob - if you ever get your hands on one and are able to try it out, I would love to hear your UNBIASED opinion!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:14 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wizzard
When I bought my last laptop I got it from Best Buy. Same model as in Future Shop but $200 cheaper as it was on sale. Both stores will match each others advertised price so it is worth checking which models are on sale because you can save a couple of hundred bucks and they tend to revolve the models on sale every month. Also I don't believe the staff at Best Buy are on commission so they tend to leave you alone unless you ask for help. The main thing with laptops is they are all pretty much pre made brand name ones either HP or Compaq (made by HP) or Sony or Toshiba etc. so you are getting the same laptop no matter where you buy it and the larger volume stores like Best Buy or Futureshop tend to be cheaper because or their purchasing power, unlike a regular PC where you can by so many combinations and components right down to building from scratch that it can often be cheaper to go to smaller stores etc. Sometime's online retailers like www.tigerdirect.ca have good deals but they still struggle to beat the prices of Bes Buy etc.
They are just the same store. They are owned and operated by the same parent company.

Buy online
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Grah
They are just the same store. They are owned and operated by the same parent company.

Buy online
Boycott them - they dont carry any apple products!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 7:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Boycott them - they dont carry any apple products!
Tiger? Errr....they do actually...
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:08 am
BE Enthusiast

I played with on at the apple store in Burmingham several weeks ago it wass very nice, but I'll wait till they stuff the Intell chip in the in 17" case, size does mater

I have today just agreed terms with an eBayer to add a 23" monitor to the 20" one I already have load of desktop real estate, that what I like God alone knows how I'm going to get my powerPC and two screens as carry on luggage when I finally get to fly over, can't ship them as I don't want to be with out them for that long

Anybody know how much approximately 120 lb. of excess baggage will be?

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bob
Tiger? Errr....they do actually...
Really - not in Victoria!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 8:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I played with on at the apple store in Burmingham several weeks ago it wass very nice, but I'll wait till they stuff the Intell chip in the in 17" case, size does mater

I have today just agreed terms with an eBayer to add a 23" monitor to the 20" one I already have load of desktop real estate, that what I like God alone knows how I'm going to get my powerPC and two screens as carry on luggage when I finally get to fly over, can't ship them as I don't want to be with out them for that long

Anybody know how much approximately 120 lb. of excess baggage will be?

Dozzzzy
Thats a good idea - I think I will pop down to my apple store and test it out as well - but would still like to hear from an expert before I actually buy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.