Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

furniture--to ship or not to ship......

furniture--to ship or not to ship......

Old Aug 9th 2006, 7:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!
julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default furniture--to ship or not to ship......

hi! just a quickie -- i read somewhere here about the cost of shipping furniture over to canada. i would say leave it here -- the cost of shiping is prohibitive. we bought all our furniture brand new (nothing beats the smell of new leather!), and that was from the Brick. some say the Brick is expensive, but we spent around $3500 for a 3+2 seaters and a set of mahogany tables.
of course we lost out when we suddenly changed our minds to emigrate back to the uk, but you cant win em all, eh?
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:56 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: furniture--to ship or not to ship......

hi julius, thanks for the info, spooky, started thread few days ago if your interested or this is the one you are refering to, loads of good comments, ta rae

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=389186
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:59 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julius smith
hi! just a quickie -- i read somewhere here about the cost of shipping furniture over to canada. i would say leave it here -- the cost of shiping is prohibitive. we bought all our furniture brand new (nothing beats the smell of new leather!), and that was from the Brick. some say the Brick is expensive, but we spent around $3500 for a 3+2 seaters and a set of mahogany tables.
of course we lost out when we suddenly changed our minds to emigrate back to the uk, but you cant win em all, eh?
forgot, middle age alzheimers (spelling?) slipping in, why did you return, or would you rather not say, understand if that is the case, i'm about to go in around 2 months to edmonton you see and nosey, ta.
Old Aug 9th 2006, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Deckchair is on a distinguished road

Hello All! I'm a newbie to the forum. Have been browsing for a bit but only just registered today.

Just wondered in addition to shipping costs - how does it work with Customs? How do you declare etc, do they make you pay any duties? We are weighing up a move back to the U.K.

Thanks in advance for replies!
Old Aug 9th 2006, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

julius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond reputejulius smith has a reputation beyond repute

hi, rae!
yep, i understand completely what kind of thoughts you are probably getting right now!
as all the guys/gals who know me by now on this forum will confirm, we made over 6 trips to ontario,canada before taking the plunge and thought that we were doing the right thing and finally decided to move in 2004. but once over there, what with the different culture, lifestyle or even just the way things are done, it just escalated from there and we decided to move back.
one thing that made it real easy was our house was still here, so we moved straight back in! but i reckon had we stayed for just 1 or 2 mnths longer, we would have gotten through the teething probs and stayed! thats hindsight!
dont get me wrong -- we're all very happy to back in blighty, but blighty doesnt hold the things we came back for any more, sad to say. whatever made england england just isnt there anymore. what with the probs we are having now here, i sometimes wonder if we would have been better off there....!! anyway, we still have our immigration, if thats any consolation!

Originally Posted by rae
forgot, middle age alzheimers (spelling?) slipping in, why did you return, or would you rather not say, understand if that is the case, i'm about to go in around 2 months to edmonton you see and nosey, ta.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 1:43 pm
rae
Settled.

hi, rae!
yep, i understand completely what kind of thoughts you are probably getting right now!
as all the guys/gals who know me by now on this forum will confirm, we made over 6 trips to ontario,canada before taking the plunge and thought that we were doing the right thing and finally decided to move in 2004. but once over there, what with the different culture, lifestyle or even just the way things are done, it just escalated from there and we decided to move back.
one thing that made it real easy was our house was still here, so we moved straight back in! but i reckon had we stayed for just 1 or 2 mnths longer, we would have gotten through the teething probs and stayed! thats hindsight!
dont get me wrong -- we're all very happy to back in blighty, but blighty doesnt hold the things we came back for any more, sad to say. whatever made england england just isnt there anymore. what with the probs we are having now here, i sometimes wonder if we would have been better off there....!! anyway, we still have our immigration, if thats any consolation!
brave move, i know i'll stick it out whatever, partly because i'm honest enough to admit i wouldn't want to be deemed a failure-no offence, thats my particular circumstance with people who are against the move and would just love to see me come home with my tail between my legs, and also because i know if i leave ties here i will come home. i am removing the option and severing all links. brutal i know, but i am great believer in, in at the deep end, then i'll have to ,make a go of it and get my head down, mrs g may not be happy but she can always come back on her own......now there's a thought, all the best rae.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 5:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

yep, i know the feeling well!
we felt like that too, as if we were a bunch of losers coming back, but then we had a lot at astake; eg my kids schooling for one, as they werent getting along, etc.
and to tell you the truth, it was me too who was missing the quirky english things, like milk floats, the general easier attitude to life and work, the easy commute to almost anywhere, and basically everything english!
but looking at today's headlines, i am having second thoughts, but then again, this terrorist problem is everywhere, not just the uk, and i for one think we are much better here at handling it than the US at present.
i dont know about severing all links though, mate! i hava always tried to follow that age old thingy about burning bridges, and so far, it aint gone wrong for me!
seriously, that requires a good ol chat with your other half before committing to, as you never know what might change over there for you.
have you been there to look around or do you have relatives or friends there at all, as that will definitely help you fit in?

Originally Posted by rae
brave move, i know i'll stick it out whatever, partly because i'm honest enough to admit i wouldn't want to be deemed a failure-no offence, thats my particular circumstance with people who are against the move and would just love to see me come home with my tail between my legs, and also because i know if i leave ties here i will come home. i am removing the option and severing all links. brutal i know, but i am great believer in, in at the deep end, then i'll have to ,make a go of it and get my head down, mrs g may not be happy but she can always come back on her own......now there's a thought, all the best rae.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:01 pm
rae
Settled.

yep, i know the feeling well!
we felt like that too, as if we were a bunch of losers coming back, but then we had a lot at astake; eg my kids schooling for one, as they werent getting along, etc.
and to tell you the truth, it was me too who was missing the quirky english things, like milk floats, the general easier attitude to life and work, the easy commute to almost anywhere, and basically everything english!
but looking at today's headlines, i am having second thoughts, but then again, this terrorist problem is everywhere, not just the uk, and i for one think we are much better here at handling it than the US at present.
i dont know about severing all links though, mate! i hava always tried to follow that age old thingy about burning bridges, and so far, it aint gone wrong for me!
seriously, that requires a good ol chat with your other half before committing to, as you never know what might change over there for you.
have you been there to look around or do you have relatives or friends there at all, as that will definitely help you fit in?
no relatives, some friends already and some coming with us who i have met via the job i/v's.
don't intend to tell the boss to stick it, so in fairness you are right, i am not burning my bridges totally, as for the mother in law that could be a different matter and if i start 'talking' to mrs g she'll think i've another woman.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 6:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

.. anyway, we still have our immigration, if thats any consolation!
Maybe I have misunderstood your post. Do you mean your permanent resident status in case you want to return to Canada? If that is the case, there are residency obligations and being away a certain length of time will invalidate your Canadian immigrant status.
Old Aug 10th 2006, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Unhappy Re: furniture--to ship or not to ship......

hi, there!
yes, i meant the perm resident bumpf.
yes, i agree--you have to be living in canada for a total of 3 yrs out 5, but that 3 yrs does not have to be all in one lump--ie you can come and go as you please, within the 5 yrs, but you must complete 3 years in all.
i also heard that your kids schooling is classed as a valid excuse for being away, too?

Originally Posted by Liana
Maybe I have misunderstood your post. Do you mean your permanent resident status in case you want to return to Canada? If that is the case, there are residency obligations and being away a certain length of time will invalidate your Canadian immigrant status.