Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Funds on person, on arrival

Funds on person, on arrival

Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Funds on person, on arrival

Hi all,

Is it still cash/cheques equal to or greater than CAD$10k that must be declared on arrival in Canada.

I'll be arriving next week to turn my LMO into a work permit and will be bringing approx CAD$9,000 in a mixture of cash and travellers cheques. Can I expect a lot of questions about it? Should I just wire it, or at least part of it, over?

Many thanks!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funds on person, on arrival

Still $10k

Id wire it myself, I always feel I am carrying a "Mug me" sign if I have more than a few hundred in cash on me.... probably because its such an unfamiliar feeling
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iaink
Still $10k
Id wire it myself, I always feel I am carrying a "Mug me" sign if I have more than a few hundred in cash on me.... probably because its such an unfamiliar feeling
Thanks for your reply Iaink.

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I'll probably look so nervous that i may as well have a giant 'mug me' and arrow floating above my head.

I'm not keen on carrying that much through, but I heard a bank transfer will take about a week, so not good when I need cash for a house rental deposit etc immediately.

I think the 'sensible' thing to do is maybe take $5k in travellers cheques, and wire the rest.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 5:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

You are right, having immediate access to the funds once transfered is a consideration.

SWIFT transfer usually takes 3 or 4 working days for the funds to arrive, then its a question of how long your new canadian bank decides is appropriate to release the funds to you. In theory they shouldnt place a hold on the funds, but its best to check first.

Perhaps there is something to be said with opening an international account in advance (HSBC offer this,and there are others I guess) in order to know you have funds available immediately in a canadian account, even if you later close it and transfer your everyday banking here to somewhere with lower (or no) fees.

Travellers cheques are secure I suppose, but its inconvenient to have to hunt down a bank that will cash them without taking its pound of flesh...
Old Mar 30th 2010, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
You are right, having immediate access to the funds once transfered is a consideration.

SWIFT transfer usually takes 3 or 4 working days for the funds to arrive, then its a question of how long your new canadian bank decides is appropriate to release the funds to you. In theory they shouldnt place a hold on the funds, but its best to check first.

Perhaps there is something to be said with opening an international account in advance (HSBC offer this,and there are others I guess) in order to know you have funds available immediately in a canadian account, even if you later close it and transfer your everyday banking here to somewhere with lower (or no) fees.

Travellers cheques are secure I suppose, but its inconvenient to have to hunt down a bank that will cash them without taking its pound of flesh...
I opened an account with RBC when I was here last September for the interview. E-mailed my contact at my branch, and she says they won't charge me for depositing travellers cheques in my account, even upto 10k
Old Mar 31st 2010, 12:37 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by wolstie
I opened an account with RBC when I was here last September for the interview. E-mailed my contact at my branch, and she says they won't charge me for depositing travellers cheques in my account, even upto 10k
WIll you have immediate access to the finds though...best to check first, some banks here have funny ideas