Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Funding University - Tax Breaks

Funding University - Tax Breaks

Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute
Default Funding University - Tax Breaks

At first glance it looks like RESPs are for building up fairly small sums over a period of time - is that correct?

Is it possible say to contribute $5k or $10k in the same year that the student spends it and receive a tax break on the contribution?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:55 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Funding University - Tax Breaks

Originally Posted by jimf
At first glance it looks like RESPs are for building up fairly small sums over a period of time - is that correct?

Is it possible say to contribute $5k or $10k in the same year that the student spends it and receive a tax break on the contribution?
Isn't the point of a RESP that you build up funds with smaller contributions over a longer period? i.e. open the RESP at birth, contribute monthly to have a decent pot by age 18? That's what we've done for our two (3 & 6).

I don't believe that the parent gets any tax break if you pay for tuition or expenses in the year the student is in higher education. The student does get a tax break on their tuition fees & AFAIK this can be rolled forward to when they have more income.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 2:22 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

RESP is a sheltered fund that the govt. contributes up to $400 a year. if you contribute $2000. If you drop in $10k they contribute more, but no the full 20%, I believe the limit is $1000. This is only if you have unused contributions.

Growth is tax sheltered. There are no tax deductions for the contributor. As has been said, most education costs are a deductible expense.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat

I don't believe that the parent gets any tax break if you pay for tuition or expenses in the year the student is in higher education. The student does get a tax break on their tuition fees & AFAIK this can be rolled forward to when they have more income.

If the student doesn't need all of their education deduction they can assign it to a parent. I did this myself when in university.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 4:09 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
If the student doesn't need all of their education deduction they can assign it to a parent. I did this myself when in university.
Now that I come to think of it, Mrs AX did the same with her father.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 8:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Now that I come to think of it, Mrs AX did the same with her father.
Up to $5,000 can be transferred to a parent in the year it is paid. So that is worth $750 to the parent. Each province has its own transfer amount as well.

Any amount not used by the student or transferred can be carried forward by the student and used in future years.