Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fumigation at customs!

Fumigation at customs!

Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all
Default Fumigation at customs!

Had a shipping guy out to estimate shipping costs. He really tried to put me off taking any gardening equipment (i was going to take the lot, shovels, forks, strimmer etc). He said anything that has had contact with the outside including camping stuff would be unpacked to be checked and probably fumigated. I know i can get the old jiff out for some things but can't see me getting very far with the strimmer.
Can anyone enlighten me, have you been fumigated? and is it a costly procedure?

Many thanks

justie
Old Jul 21st 2010, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Fumigation at customs!

costly if found, YES

likely, maybe

We shipped outdoor stuff, trampoline, garden furniture etc. I put on the goods to follow sheet 'Trampoline, powerwashed'

I don't know if that was sufficient to put the customs person off the scent so to speak, but it worked.

The consequences can be costly as they will charge you for cleaning OR disposal, both being pricey.

You takes your chance.

Good luck!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

jenny28 is an unknown quantity at this point

We brought our camping stuff over including 4 tents of various sizes. We had gardening equipment listed but didn't bring it in the end. Our things where not fumigated.
Maybe we where lucky.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jenny28
We brought our camping stuff over including 4 tents of various sizes. We had gardening equipment listed but didn't bring it in the end. Our things where not fumigated.
Maybe we where lucky.
We brought all our gardening equipment with us and simply washed them with the garden hose. No fumigation for us.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 2:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

We just washed stuff with water and bleach. When we were with customs in Fredericton, they guy looked down the list of stuff packed in our container and pointed at the garden pots and tools. I jumped in with 'yes, and we scrubbed them and cleaned them with bleach'. He smiled and told us that was great, and they wouldn't bother opening the container to check because we obviously knew what we were doing.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

justie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to alljustie is a name known to all

Thank you sooo much for all your replies thats very helpful!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 4:40 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by justie
Had a shipping guy out to estimate shipping costs. He really tried to put me off taking any gardening equipment (i was going to take the lot, shovels, forks, strimmer etc). He said anything that has had contact with the outside including camping stuff would be unpacked to be checked and probably fumigated. I know i can get the old jiff out for some things but can't see me getting very far with the strimmer.
Can anyone enlighten me, have you been fumigated? and is it a costly procedure?

Many thanks

justie

Jays fluid is your friend

We got told if they find something with dirt on then they ship it all back at your expense We or should I say "I" cleaned everything about three times!
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

our bikes got queried.

i stated that they were spotless as they had always been stored in the house.

that was good enough.

it seems they only fear great globs of mud
Old Jul 21st 2010, 6:56 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Jayes fluid is the best as a disinfectant.

Shame someone did not tell the British Army some years back. A whole shipload of military vehicles coming for an exercise was turned away as they had not been washed before being put on the ship.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

not totally troooooooo. it was during foot and mouth - they had been prepped as per 'normal', just not to the new improved f&m stringent expectations (they had come straight from Salisbury Plain to Marchwood to be loaded - loads of foot and mouth all over the area) - ask dinger24 about his boots... at the time even people were getting off planes and having to wade through disinfectant troughs at YYC...

A little bit norty of you to bring this up to frighten the OP
Old Jul 21st 2010, 10:17 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Our shipping company dealt with this for us and had a form comfirming that this has been done prior to the outdoor goods being loaded into the container.

Our only glitch was at customs releasing the container that when asked for our proof that the items had been cleaned with the appropriate canadian recognised jeys fluid stuff we didnt have a copy of this form, it was all held and sent on to the agent this end in Canada, the customs guy let it go, but I was freaking for a bit that they would use the opportunity to order the container be opened at large expense to us

All seems a nonsense, when you can travel normally without any of this issue.

You take your chances I guess, but it is not unheard of that they will request to open up your container and bill you
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Our shipping company dealt with this for us and had a form comfirming that this has been done prior to the outdoor goods being loaded into the container.

Our only glitch was at customs releasing the container that when asked for our proof that the items had been cleaned with the appropriate canadian recognised jeys fluid stuff we didnt have a copy of this form, it was all held and sent on to the agent this end in Canada, the customs guy let it go, but I was freaking for a bit that they would use the opportunity to order the container be opened at large expense to us

All seems a nonsense, when you can travel normally without any of this issue.

You take your chances I guess, but it is not unheard of that they will request to open up your container and bill you
FFS not only are non Canadian qualifications good enough for Canada, now the rest of the world's cleaning products are not up to scratch.
Old Jul 21st 2010, 11:50 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
FFS not only are non Canadian qualifications good enough for Canada, now the rest of the world's cleaning products are not up to scratch.
I know according to the paperwork we were given by our shipping co there was a specific cleaning product we had to use , granted this could be their doing, but we just paid the $100 to try and save pain later on, something beginning with V
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think that they are generally that bothered, unless you are unlucky and get a pedant looking at your shipping docks. When we shipped our stuff, including bycles and large garden pots but not rusty/dirty old tools we were just told the mention Jeyes fluid on the form by our packers. We dis jet wash everything though.

All seems a little pointless when as far as I can see there is nothing to stop you landing in a pair of muddy wellies
Old Jul 22nd 2010, 5:51 pm
Forum Regular

I can envisage a series of posed photographs with jeyes fluid in one hand and hose in the other. Do you reckon that would be a first.....