Fruit

Old Jun 24th 2004, 10:24 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough
Default Fruit

I am sitting here with a half pound punnet of English strawberries and half a pint of double cream.

What are the strawberries like in Canada, and all the other fruit too?

Taste
Quality
Price
Old Jun 24th 2004, 11:24 am
Just Joined

glasnidouglas is an unknown quantity at this point

Liftman

I lived in Vancouver for over 5 years and can honestly tell you that the fruit (and veg) do not taste as nice as the British/European. I knew people from various countries who lived in Vancouver and they all thought the same. There is no taste whatsoever, and they are also very expensive. In UK you pay a certain price for melon/cauliflower/etc. but in Canada you pay per kilo.... and it can cost a small fortune.
Glasni
Old Jun 24th 2004, 11:24 am
Just Joined

glasnidouglas is an unknown quantity at this point

Liftman

I lived in Vancouver for over 5 years and can honestly tell you that the fruit (and veg) do not taste as nice as the British/European. I knew people from various countries who lived in Vancouver and they all thought the same. There is no taste whatsoever, and they are also very expensive. In UK you pay a certain price for melon/cauliflower/etc. but in Canada you pay per kilo.... and it can cost a small fortune.
Glasni
Old Jun 24th 2004, 11:51 am
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Fruit

Originally posted by liftman
I am sitting here with a half pound punnet of English strawberries and half a pint of double cream.

Taste
Quality
Price

Hi

We live in the Okanagan where fruit is grown so it is very fresh and cheap too! It tastes much better than most of the fruit I have tasted in the UK. Along the side of the roads are fruit stalls where they sell it and so it does not come much fresher than that!

Veggies are about the same as in the UK however potatoes here are horrible! Hard to find good cream too and I often crave for single cream.

Enjoy your strawberries,
JJ
Old Jun 24th 2004, 11:52 am
Forum Regular

Taste
Quality
Price

Hi

We live in the Okanagan where fruit is grown so it is very fresh and cheap too! It tastes much better than most of the fruit I have tasted in the UK. Along the side of the roads are fruit stalls where they sell it and so it does not come much fresher than that!

Veggies are about the same as in the UK however potatoes here are horrible! Hard to find good cream too and I often crave for single cream.

Enjoy your strawberries,
JJ
Old Jun 24th 2004, 3:33 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Taste
Quality
Price
We get them from the farmers stall at tyhe end of our road, and they are just perfect. $3 a punnet. The imported out of season ones are crap though, taste like they are diluted down or something, but the local in season ones are great. Dont worry about the fruit. My wife is lactose intollerant, so I have to make do with cool whip though. Just not the same as real cream

Iain
Old Jun 24th 2004, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

We went to a pick your own strawberries 2 weeks ago (which is very popular on the island), and it cost 2 dollars a pound, which is pretty cheap. Cant get fresher than that. Some varieties are nice while other ones lack flavour.

As for out of season strawberries, dont buy them. They are usually over sized and are devoid of flavour.

Melon is cheap when in season, we have seen it as low as 49 cents per pound recently and it will go down further.

Apples same as UK in taste and price, pears can be pricey.

Potatoes are not very good, cauliflower is more expensive than the uk as well.
Old Jun 25th 2004, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Taste
Quality
Price

PEI potatoes are good and theres an abundance of them here in NS Liftman so you'll be ok
Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

Have generally found apples to be big and bland. This is odd in that, say, Braeburns still get shipped from New Zealand whether in Canada or the UK. Just seems that the North American market prefers things really big and hence tasteless and the small tasty ones get sent to Europe.

However, given the positive replies above perhaps I'm missing something - where are you folks buying your apples from? I've not had much joy in Vancouver - do you stay away from the supermarkets?

Cheers, Iain
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Iain Mc
Have generally found apples to be big and bland. This is odd in that, say, Braeburns still get shipped from New Zealand whether in Canada or the UK. Just seems that the North American market prefers things really big and hence tasteless and the small tasty ones get sent to Europe.

However, given the positive replies above perhaps I'm missing something - where are you folks buying your apples from? I've not had much joy in Vancouver - do you stay away from the supermarkets?

Cheers, Iain
HI

When I don't buy of the fruit stalls in the summer then it is either Safeway or Sav On. The apples I buy are also shipped from NZ, so not sure, next time I buy one I will eat it really slowly and have a think about whether or not it really is good! I am sure sometimes we get used to things without really noticing!!!! Trouble is when I go back to the UK on trips I spend all my time eating chocolate and not apples so I guess it has been a long time since I ate UK fruit! Do you know anywhere that sells UK chocolate?!

JJ
Old Jun 25th 2004, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

donglemouse is an unknown quantity at this point

there's a Cadbury's shop in the Bay in Toronto - but it's probably a long way for you to come........
Old Jun 25th 2004, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

jazzyc is an unknown quantity at this point

as a professional pastry chef running my own business in the uk i use huge amounts of berries over the year.There is nothing like english strawberries but the season is so short and so weather dependant so most of the time its force grown spanish, dutch, etc
You can get decent raspberries again for a short time but i think its generally poor in the uk unless you get organic.the other berry seasons are very short after that its imported tasteless expensive stuff.
Western canada will provide me a great choice of of fruit for my business when i set up there and what ive tasted in vancouver has been to a higher standard
Old Jun 25th 2004, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

For those of you in Toronto you could try where I work (http://www.wholefoods.com/toronto)
It's an all natural & organic supermarket so basically everything we sell is all natural (ie no artificial ingredients, flavours, colours, sweetners etc) and some is organic too. Our produce dept is pretty good and gets stuff from all over. Also the meat and Seafood is good as we only buy our stuff from farms we certify and personally inspect so no hormones and all proper natural feed with no animal by products and no iradiation etc.

Ours is the first one in Canada but we have like 160 stores in the US and are the only supermarket chain in the world certified organic in the US.

For those in Vancouver we are opening a new store in west vancouver at the new Park Royal Village next to the Park Royal mall (www.shopparkroyal.com) and we are opening another one in Oakville just west of Toronto and then more in the next few years in the GTA and Vancouver areas etc.

I work mainly with grocery purchasing and we bring stuff in from all over the world including some British stuff but it is hard because of our ingredient rules, gotta avoid all those E numbers.

Well that is the end of my plug but it's worth a look if you want some goof natural and organic produce/meat/seafood etc and also we have a bakery and prepared foods section and more.

Drew
Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:27 pm
Glaswegian

Do you know anywhere that sells UK chocolate?!
There are a couple of shops in Calgary that sell it too - but the Lindt chocolate our local superstore sells is way better.

They also sell things like hob nobs if you get really desperate for that UK style low chocolate content high sugar fix.

Apples taste like apples, but then I don't like them that much anyway.

The saskatoon berry pies sold by the saskatoon farm nearly Calgary are better than anything containing strawberries that I've ever tasted.

Fresh Okanagan grapes taste like bugglegum, but they make great jelly.

Old Jun 25th 2004, 2:50 pm
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a great little sweet shop in Banff that sells all kinds of English chocolate and confectionery. It was like paradise the first time I went in there.

Fruit is okay in Calgary from the supermarkets, but I've had some horrible experiences with watermelon. I find selection is a little limited compared to the big UK supermarkets.

Forget real cream - it just doesn't exist in [at least this part of] Canada. You'll have to make do with synthetic stuff, or squirty stuff from the cans. Fortunately, Ambrosia custard is sold everywhere in Calgary, which almost makes up for the shortfall.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.