Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

Wikiposts

FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FROZEN Pensions - Action Needed

Originally Posted by skiboy10
Excellent post! I also agree with you about dbd33's attitude - could it be sour grapes as he perhaps doesn't qualify for a British pension?
I expect I could get a British pension. However I would be ashamed to claim a state benefit. I'm not in genuine need like a refugee or a single mother.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 11:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

dbd33's suggestion of ending indexing for ALL expat pensioners would at least mean all expat pensioners are treated the same and would leave the government with more money to spend on their beloved immigrants - who contribute SO much to the economy!!!!

(By the way - this is a sarcastic post!)
Yes, it cuts costs and addresses the issue of fairness. Taxpayers, and pensioners who have stuck by their country, would love it.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

First of all I must thank everyone for their posts on this matter whatever their view as it has brought up what I and quite a lot feel is an important discussion and issue.

I don’t think for one minute that this will influence peoples decision to emigrate to a certain country and to suggest this is just ludicrous like I said before people who come up with comments like this either won’t need the money or have nowhere near paid enough contributions to be bothered or are not entitled to it….why you would not want to claim a full pension @ approx £4500 ($9500) per year is beyond me. I’m sure it could be put to good use….at least I could save it & it could pay for my holiday every year if need be.

We could use this same attitude for students here in the UK for example as to which University they wish to attend…either run up thousands in fees in England or say well it’s your own fault if you had gone to Scotland to study there are no fees so we have no sympathy for you as you knew what you were getting into so tough luck get out and get a job and pay off your debts…or another idea would be to lobby the government to change the system…or we could just sit back and say yes Mr B liar no Mr B liar we believe everything you say Mr B liar……because your our leader (I know for now)

This issue could however influence an older parents decision on whether they could afford to come live with their family in old age in another country say once they are widowed for example or it could force them to spend the rest of their life alone in the UK….even old people still wish to have independence and not become a burden.

Nobody as of yet I have asked has actually told me as to why pensions are frozen anyway…and why not across the board. There is nothing else to it I believe than a money saving scam by the government. The whole pension issue at present is a joke they have destroyed it totally. Older honest hard working people have been shafted and it is a disgrace where and who they give the money to in this country.

I also have served all over the world in the forces for the last 21 years. I could say I will be very lucky but I have bloody earned it on OP tours / Wars / Conflicts…..yes including Bosnia where it was suggested I go live…after atrocities we saw while there is a pretty sick suggestion. I will be lucky to have a Mil pension which for some strange reason is NOT frozen (not that I am complaining though). We hopefully will be mortgage free on emigrating and shouldn’t have any money worries but I still believe I should have my pension linked and not frozen as we bloody paid for it as have 1000’s of others regardless of where they are in the world.

One poster mentioned that I know what I’m getting into so should have no cause to complain, that is true but it doesn’t mean we should just sit back and take it & do nothing about it….or stay in the UK……or move to Bosnia. 48 of the Commonwealth countries are in the same boat.

The more the info is spread about groups taking action the better but everyone has to pull together and help take action or nothing will ever change, we just carry on pi**ing into the wind…..coz that’s the way it’s always been.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
We could use this same attitude for students here in the UK for example as to which University they wish to attend…either run up thousands in fees in England or say well it’s your own fault if you had gone to Scotland to study there are no fees so we have no sympathy for you as you knew what you were getting into so tough luck get out and get a job and pay off your debts…
Money is a major factor in the choice of university; some kids commute from their parent's houses to save money, others choose the school with the most scholarships; that's why so many Canadians go to schools in the US.

I do say "tough luck get out and get a job and pay off your debts" if, that is, you've chosen parents too feckless to fund your education.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
I expect I could get a British pension. However I would be ashamed to claim a state benefit. I'm not in genuine need like a refugee or a single mother.
REFUGEE....JESUS GIVE ME STRENGTH AND DON'T GET ME STARTED.

Anybody who actualy belives that there are genuine refugees coming to the UK are wired to the moon...or uranus.

150 + British Soldiers have died in Iraq as have 1000's of American's and yes even Canadians to make their countries safe for them as we did in your Beloved BOSNIA / Macedonia / Kosovo the list goes on....even if we were lied to.

So why the Hell would they ever need to come to the UK accross endless other borders and countries to sleep rough in France waiting for the slightest opportunity to get accross the Channel to the UK. If they were genuine refugees would you not just stumble into the nearest safe country to get help there and claim asylum.....But then again you wouldn't get a free house / free health care / free legal aid / free food and clothes vouchers / free interpretors / free transport and you can sit there and say that these people are in genuine need more that a British pensioner and less of a burdon on the community.....your a disgrace.

I serve with Gurkha soldiers who are treated lower than these so called bloody REFUGEES they have so much pride to serve in the British Army (more than I have) but once they have served their adopted country most of them have an even bigger fight on their hands.....to gain residency to remain in the UK.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Money is a major factor in the choice of university; some kids commute from their parent's houses to save money, others choose the school with the most scholarships; that's why so many Canadians go to schools in the US.

I do say "tough luck get out and get a job and pay off your debts" if, that is, you've chosen parents too feckless to fund your education.
OH yes "Let them eat cake"

You need to live in the real world dude
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

150 + British Soldiers have died in Iraq as have 1000's of American's and yes even Canadians to make their countries safe for them as we did in your Beloved BOSNIA / Macedonia / Kosovo the list goes on....even if we were lied to.
Your support of the Bush government's imperial adventures has nothing to do with the condition of genuine refugees who may come from almost anywhere in the world.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

First of all I must thank everyone for their posts on this matter whatever their view as it has brought up what I and quite a lot feel is an important discussion and issue.

I don’t think for one minute that this will influence peoples decision to emigrate to a certain country and to suggest this is just ludicrous like I said before people who come up with comments like this either won’t need the money or have nowhere near paid enough contributions to be bothered or are not entitled to it….why you would not want to claim a full pension @ approx £4500 ($9500) per year is beyond me. I’m sure it could be put to good use….at least I could save it & it could pay for my holiday every year if need be.

We could use this same attitude for students here in the UK for example as to which University they wish to attend…either run up thousands in fees in England or say well it’s your own fault if you had gone to Scotland to study there are no fees so we have no sympathy for you as you knew what you were getting into so tough luck get out and get a job and pay off your debts…or another idea would be to lobby the government to change the system…or we could just sit back and say yes Mr B liar no Mr B liar we believe everything you say Mr B liar……because your our leader (I know for now)

This issue could however influence an older parents decision on whether they could afford to come live with their family in old age in another country say once they are widowed for example or it could force them to spend the rest of their life alone in the UK….even old people still wish to have independence and not become a burden.

Nobody as of yet I have asked has actually told me as to why pensions are frozen anyway…and why not across the board. There is nothing else to it I believe than a money saving scam by the government. The whole pension issue at present is a joke they have destroyed it totally. Older honest hard working people have been shafted and it is a disgrace where and who they give the money to in this country.

I also have served all over the world in the forces for the last 21 years. I could say I will be very lucky but I have bloody earned it on OP tours / Wars / Conflicts…..yes including Bosnia where it was suggested I go live…after atrocities we saw while there is a pretty sick suggestion. I will be lucky to have a Mil pension which for some strange reason is NOT frozen (not that I am complaining though). We hopefully will be mortgage free on emigrating and shouldn’t have any money worries but I still believe I should have my pension linked and not frozen as we bloody paid for it as have 1000’s of others regardless of where they are in the world.

One poster mentioned that I know what I’m getting into so should have no cause to complain, that is true but it doesn’t mean we should just sit back and take it & do nothing about it….or stay in the UK……or move to Bosnia. 48 of the Commonwealth countries are in the same boat.

The more the info is spread about groups taking action the better but everyone has to pull together and help take action or nothing will ever change, we just carry on pi**ing into the wind…..coz that’s the way it’s always been.
Excellent post! There has been a lot of sanctimonious rubbish posted on this topic - most of it completely irrelevant!
I also would like to know exactly why this policy of differentiating between expats in different countries was established. If it was for financial reasons then we should be told. No one seems to have an answer!
The retirement pension is not to be sneezed at - unless you have more money than sense! It is an entitlement NOT a benefit!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

OH yes "Let them eat cake"

You need to live in the real world dude
I don't know how much more real my world can get. I pay the tuition bills.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:12 am
Assimilated Pauper

Excellent post! There has been a lot of sanctimonious rubbish posted on this topic - most of it completely irrelevant!
I also would like to know exactly why this policy of differentiating between expats in different countries was established. If it was for financial reasons then we should be told. No one seems to have an answer!
The retirement pension is not to be sneezed at - unless you have more money than sense! It is an entitlement NOT a benefit!
Are you in favour of freezing the pension for all people who have left the country?
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Your support of the Bush government's imperial adventures has nothing to do with the condition of genuine refugees who may come from almost anywhere in the world.
I wouldn't P**S on Bush or B liar they have a lot to answer for and should be held to account for what mess they have created.

Refugees from almost anywhere in the world.....mmmm let me see where are you suggesting then.

Dharfor....err no coz they don't give a toss about them.

And as I said why do refugees have to cross endless miles to make for the UK then.

We went to Sierra Leon....oh yes silly billy....they have masses of oil there don't they.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Are you in favour of freezing the pension for all people who have left the country?
Are you genuinly asking these questions to be annoying.....
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes - if it can be frozen for Commonwealth countries it can be frozen for the rest of the world. That is equitable! And would save the Government even more money for handouts in the UK!

There would be an uproar and perhaps ALL expats would end up getting index-linked pensions!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

Are you genuinly asking these questions to be annoying.....
No. Your complaint seems to be that it's unfair to pay increases to some people and not to others. The sentiment of the UK taxpayer is doubtless that, since the pensioners have pissed off to pastures greener, paying them anything is inappropriate. Paying everyone the rate at the time they left seems a fair compromise and has the added benefit of leaving money in the country for the benefit of the population there; immigrant or not.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I don't know how much more real my world can get. I pay the tuition bills.
Well thats very good of you aint it to be one of those model parents where everything is rosey in your world and nice and fluffy lah dee daa dee daa.....have you ever set foot in some of the inner cities in the UK where some parents are struggling to eat never mind pay their kids through Uni......

Like I said your attitude is let them eat cake and it's their own fault for chosing parents who can't afford to send them to Uni........that is pretty sad really is....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.