Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

French School in Montreal

French School in Montreal

Old Sep 26th 2020, 3:11 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: French School in Montreal

Originally Posted by dbd33
But not wildly so, unless you're dealing with an extreme like Gaspe or New Brunswick; then it's like trying to speak English with a Geordie. By and large, the French and the Canadians can understand one another.

That statement made me laugh, I worked in Montreal in a company (Japanese owned) which employed a very multi-national workforce. Language and accents was always a minefield however we had francophone Quebecers enven other francophone Quebecers couldn't understand unless the spoke very slowly (not usually done in French) .

Last edited by JGK; Sep 26th 2020 at 3:18 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2020, 8:01 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's all too rigidly categorized for me. No politics, no digressions, yes/no answers only. I hope that does make the site more informative and a valuable resource for somebody.
I can’t help but think...”don’t sweat the small stuff”. We are still here, still supportive so that’s a big Yeah from us ?
Old Oct 28th 2020, 1:23 am
Just Joined

kitmonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Assume your here so welcome!

Been here 11 years and both wife and daughter did full time French immersion. Wife stopped after 3 months to set up house, daughter carried on for 6 - 9 months (I forget what level that is)

Its cheap (free!), it will help you understand what you are (an immigrate! which we all found a shock but liberating!, The method is effective but they both found it extremely stressful at the start. Its 100% in French so you do the first month having little to no clue what the teacher is saying. Then slowly the understanding comes around and when you start speaking the accent is very much more like the locals. I seriously doubt you will have any appetite for extra tuition if your 5 days a week full time. During the breaks in the schooling year get out, enjoy the place find a local group to talk to.

Personally I don't speak French and came here to work in a global company. I soon realized that they all speak English and no matter how much I learn the language or immerse myself in the Franco culture I will always be an 'Anglo'.

I don't love the politics here but I could say the same for other places I have lived. 99% of the people are great and the city is one of the world greatest and going to get better with several investments. Best of luck to you Sir and PM me if you think I might be able to point you in the right direction. Cheers