Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Freight shipping from Liverpool and immunisation certs

Freight shipping from Liverpool and immunisation certs

Old Apr 7th 2015, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ling_Noi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Freight shipping from Liverpool and immunisation certs

It looks like a job offer in Toronto will be coming my way in the next few days and I need to prepare things as they will be expecting me within 5 weeks.

We're doing our best to trim what goods we are taking over down to only the necessary items but there are things that we won't be able to take in our standard baggage allowance:

* Clothes and shoes
* Books
* PS4, Blu-ray discs, personal computer and monitor

Most of this stuff is too heavy to get on the plane and I'd like to ship it in a partial container. Time isn't a big problem and it doesn't matter if it takes several weeks.

I live in Liverpool so ideally I'd like to drop this off at one of the ports here and collect it from a port in Toronto as we will probably be moving around within the first few months. Any suggestions on companies or how much I can roughly expect to pay on a cubic meter/kg basis?

Immunisation certificates - we've done the medical already as part of the FSW. I'm British and my wife is Thai - are we going to be asked for these?
Old Apr 7th 2015, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Goodbhoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Freight shipping from Liverpool and immunisation certs

Originally Posted by Ling_Noi
It looks like a job offer in Toronto will be coming my way in the next few days and I need to prepare things as they will be expecting me within 5 weeks.

We're doing our best to trim what goods we are taking over down to only the necessary items but there are things that we won't be able to take in our standard baggage allowance:

* Clothes and shoes
* Books

Most of this stuff is too heavy to get on the plane and I'd like to ship it in a partial container. Time isn't a big problem and it doesn't matter if it takes several weeks.

I live in Liverpool so ideally I'd like to drop this off at one of the ports here and collect it from a port in Toronto as we will probably be moving around within the first few months. Any suggestions on companies or how much I can roughly expect to pay on a cubic meter/kg basis?

Immunisation certificates - we've done the medical already as part of the FSW. I'm British and my wife is Thai - are we going to be asked for these?
I paid just over 5K for a 20 foot container in the last month.
The price was a standard price for a container this size.
This was for professional packers who came and packed everything and will unpack in Toronto as well.

I also moved from Liverpool to Toronto and my wife and children are finally about to land at Pearson international Airport within the next 20 minutes.
I was quoted 4-6 weeks delivery and so far it still has not turned up.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Once the shipment arrives in Canada it will have to be shipped to a bonded or sufferance warehouse for clearance. You won't be able to pick it up at a port yourself and you can clear the goods yourself at usually the nearest Customs office that clears these type of goods. Which forwarding address will you be using you can use a care of address. Don't forget to have a list of goods (duplicate) one for yourself and one for Customs when you go to clear the goods.
My suggestion is use a freight forwarder and pay for door to door service.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

you can get small crates/boxes if you dont need a full container yourself and they have different sizes.
International Removals | Overseas Moving and UK Shipping
Old Apr 18th 2015, 11:28 am
Just Joined

diswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of lightdiswell is a glorious beacon of light

We've just done this in our move from Silverstone to Waterloo. Thanks to the awesome advice from this website, the customs official at Kitchener (where we cleared our belongings) said we had the best paperwork she'd seen in 22 years. :-)

Chalk up another point for BE!
Old Sep 9th 2015, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
you can get small crates/boxes if you dont need a full container yourself and they have different sizes.
International Removals | Overseas Moving and UK Shipping
Minimum 2m^3 we only need 0.54m^3

Price for 2 cubic metres is reasonable though.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 5:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Minimum 2m^3 we only need 0.54m^3

Price for 2 cubic metres is reasonable though.
I'd suggest contacting Air Transat cargo, the items can go on the same flight as you (though that isn't necessary) and you have 48 hours from when they arrive to collect them from the Cargo department (though you have to go to the Customs office to clear them first). My son bought several boxes over that way and found it was actually cheaper than shipping them; insurance was minimal too.

http://www.leisurecargo.com/?m=1
Old Sep 9th 2015, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I'd suggest contacting Air Transat cargo, the items can go on the same flight as you (though that isn't necessary) and you have 48 hours from when they arrive to collect them from the Cargo department (though you have to go to the Customs office to clear them first). My son bought several boxes over that way and found it was actually cheaper than shipping them; insurance was minimal too.

LeisureCargo: The Total Air Cargo Management Experts
Yeah I've got a quote from them and it's very cheap. I will go with them more than likely.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 8:49 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

You speak Thai OP?
Old Sep 9th 2015, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You speak Thai OP?
Just a bit. The Mrs is from Bangkok.
Old Sep 9th 2015, 9:48 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Just a bit. The Mrs is from Bangkok.
Though so. I used to live there (great city to spend a few years as an expat) so I picked up a little for day to day use. Enough to know what your user name means at least.
Old Sep 12th 2015, 4:02 am
Just Joined

davekays is an unknown quantity at this point

* Clothes and shoes
* Books

I've been using [http://www.excess-baggage.com] for years. I think about 700GBP for 83cuft (sea). You can also ship part air & sea with them. Find an alternative distributor for supplying the packaging... it may work out cheeper! As you say, somethings are too heavy/expensive for plane, but in contrast to air, underutilizing an allocated slot/sea container had cost penalties! Also, make sure you list as much as possible such as serial numbers and the like because you could get a hard time arriving at port (if moving isn't stressful enough). There is a document called 'I Declare' [http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/p...5056-eng.html] that might be worth reading. You need not learn the hard way like me then! Hope this helps.