Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Free banking in Canada

Free banking in Canada

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

craig_hoxton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Free banking in Canada

Just making you guys aware that if you are about to come to Canada/already here and have a PR Card/Landed Immigrant status within the last year, you can open a FREE bank account (they call them Chequing Accounts) at the following banks:

CIBC
Scotiabank
RBC

They usually offer the free period for about a year.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:50 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Free banking in Canada

Interesting...but then you have to change. I guess they 'bank' on people not changing.

Might as well go straight to PC and stay with them.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Essex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really niceEssex_Man is just really nice

Loblaws do free banking.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of lightenglishrose1 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for that Information, this should be put on at the top of the forum header. Maybe one of the moderators should do this so that others can see it easily. I wonder from others on here which one is the best of the three?
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by englishrose1
Thanks for that Information, this should be put on at the top of the forum header. Maybe one of the moderators should do this so that others can see it easily. I wonder from others on here which one is the best of the three?
Too many worthy topics though to give them all a sticky thread I suspect.

Im sure no end of people will be able to find it once they enter "Free Banking" in the search function.

Its not really free banking anyway is it? Its just a sweetener to draw you in so they can start to charge you fees in a years time

PC (loblaws) really is free banking, and is available to PRs anyway (if not those on TWPs)

Waived fees for keeping a certain balance is also not free banking in my opinion
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 3:59 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been banking with PC (president's choice) for the past 7 years or so. They are fine overall. Direct debit is free and you can use any CIBC machine with no charge or any amicus machine (in all 711 stores). I don't find the employees in the Superstores overly knowledgeable or helpful though.

ING is also a good one and their rates tend to be even better than PC. Their 5 year fixed mortgage is 3.99 at the moment.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We negotiated free a banking package in with our mortgage when we first moved over. As soon as we got rid of the mortgage it took them two years to figure out we were getting free banking. I nearly called them and told them
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to allNicola N-A is a name known to all

you can open a PC account on a TWP.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

MarkThompson is an unknown quantity at this point

I had no idea banks here charged a fee so I didn't shop around and just opened an account with the first bank that I came across, bad move.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 4:22 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

For anyone moving to the Vancouver area, Coast Capital (a credit union) offer free banking.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkThompson
I had no idea banks here charged a fee so I didn't shop around and just opened an account with the first bank that I came across, bad move.
The fees they do charge are hardly extortionate though and, if by doing so they avoid the pitfalls that the UK banks did, I will pay them.

Having said that, I have a PC bank account
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

paolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to beholdpaolosmythe is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JonboyE
For anyone moving to the Vancouver area, Coast Capital (a credit union) offer free banking.
i was gonna mention those guys. it is available to all in BC and not just the Van vacinity correct?

i loved being able to use the 'exchange' ATMs and get my cash for free when in TOR. presumably other provinces have their own credit unions?
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paolosmythe
i was gonna mention those guys. it is available to all in BC and not just the Van vacinity correct?

i loved being able to use the 'exchange' ATMs and get my cash for free when in TOR. presumably other provinces have their own credit unions?
Each credit union sets its own rates. I don't think VanCity offer a free chequing account.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The credit unions around here charge similar fees to the main line banks, but at least they are locally owned.

On the subject of west coast banks, Citizens Bank (Vancity) did offer free chequing. One of my cards is through them. We recently got mail saying they were abandoning the personal banking arena. At least they were up front about it, saving they were giving up because the couldn't make any money at it unless they got much larger.

That probably doesn't bode well for other small banks / CUs offering free banking.
Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:08 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of deals out there - it pays to shop around.

My main current account with TD is "free" - as long as I keep a minimum deposit in there. Ok so I'm losing out on some bit of interest but the benefits with the account are much better then what I've seen offered through some of the free banking options so it works for me......

Savings I use ING - no fees, good interest rate and easy to do anything online.

Last edited by Rob_999; Oct 5th 2009 at 10:10 pm. Reason: their, there, they're - blame it on sleep deprivation....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.