Reload this Page >

Fredericton, NB

Fredericton, NB

Old Jan 31st 2010, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Matt_Geo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fredericton, NB

Hello expats,

I was wondering if I could get any expats from New Brunswick to answer a few questions, namely, whats Fredericton like ?

I have been offered a place for study for my doctorate there, the supervisor and research on offer is what I really like and I have friends from Saint John (I used to work in Mineral Exploration in Ontario) that say Fredericton and the University of New Brunswick is pretty good...

Any info / help would be much appreciated.

Matt
Old Jan 31st 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fredericton, NB

Originally Posted by Matt_Geo
Hello expats,

I was wondering if I could get any expats from New Brunswick to answer a few questions, namely, whats Fredericton like ?

I have been offered a place for study for my doctorate there, the supervisor and research on offer is what I really like and I have friends from Saint John (I used to work in Mineral Exploration in Ontario) that say Fredericton and the University of New Brunswick is pretty good...

Matt
What's Fredericton like, bloody cold this weekend
Old Feb 1st 2010, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Matt_Geo
Hello expats,

Matt
Hi Matt,
We love living in Fredericton -well we live just outside city limits! It's not a very big city, smaller than Saint John but much nicer. It's a very pretty city, lots of walking trails, parks etc. I have heard that UNB is very good here, no personal experience of it except it's huge and you'll get fit walking about it as it's on a hill!! There is one mall here but plenty of the usual shops on both sides of the river (Walmart, Zellers, Canadian Tire etc), if you want a better choice of shopping though Moncton is about 2hr drive away and Saint John about an hr away.
If you have any other questions or want any specific info ask away.

Sinead
P.S yes it is very cold this weekend!!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 9:57 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Stop whining about the cold it is only -20c today (ok so windchill makes it -26c).

We preferred Fredericton over the other cities in NB and I think the university life is very attractive here. Fredericton is a government and university city with a large student population. I believe it has above average facilities for a city of it's size due to the population make up.

I wouldnt live anywhere else

I know one of the Chemistry prof's at UNB and a Geology Prof at Saint Thomas uni, if that is relevant I can pose some questions you may want to put to them.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

chobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nicechobert is just really nice

My wife is from Fredericton so I've visited on a few occasions to see the in-laws etc. I've found the place to be very friendly with a good down-town area for shops / restaurants etc and as others have mentioned, some decent sized malls within 10-15 minute drive. Good reputation for eduction and the university is certainly considered one of the best in Canada.

Edit to say: It was -26 over Christmas and I've been before when it's touched -40. So cold - yes - but where isn't in Canada during winter!?

Last edited by chobert; Feb 2nd 2010 at 10:07 am. Reason: added some weather info!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chobert
Edit to say: It was -26 over Christmas and I've been before when it's touched -40. So cold - yes - but where isn't in Canada during winter!?
Coastal BC?
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Coastal BC?

Does coastal BC not get colder in the winter I appreciate that it may not get the figures quoted above, but I would be truly amazed if temperatures didn't drop.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Does coastal BC not get colder in the winter I appreciate that it may not get the figures quoted above, but I would be truly amazed if temperatures didn't drop.
Haha, of course it does.

Although for the past month and a half we've been having temperatures of 10 Celsius. It's hard to remember what frost looks like! Good for my flowers, not so good for the Olympics!
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Stop whining about the cold it is only -20c today (ok so windchill makes it -26c).
According to weather network it was -31 with windchill earlier
I think it feels colder at the minute as it's been an unusually warm winter so far so when it does get colder you feel it!!

Originally Posted by chobert
My wife is from Fredericton so I've visited on a few occasions to see the in-laws etc. I've found the place to be very friendly with a good down-town area for shops / restaurants etc and as others have mentioned, some decent sized malls within 10-15 minute drive.
Agree, there are some really good restaurants downtown here and everyone we have met is very friendly too
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 10:22 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha, of course it does.

Although for the past month and a half we've been having temperatures of 10 Celsius. It's hard to remember what frost looks like! Good for my flowers, not so good for the Olympics!
It was a record month. Warmer than the average march apparently.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:19 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Coastal BC?
rain rain and cloudy pah who wants to live in BC, I prefer cold and snowy Fredericton anytime. We have a short wet spring, generally long hot summer, and short wet autumn (October)
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

cargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nicecargomatic is just really nice

rain rain and cloudy pah who wants to live in BC, I prefer cold and snowy Fredericton anytime. We have a short wet spring, generally long hot summer, and short wet autumn (October)
same here, cold is soooo much better than rain. Hence the reason we moved to Woodstock NB instead of Vancouver BC. I was in Vancouver in November and all it did while I was there was rain. It maybe -17 here but still have nice blue skies most of the time
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

when does winter run from and to though?
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:27 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strawberry
when does winter run from and to though?
From the end of autumn, to the start of spring, of course.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 4:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by R I C H
From the end of autumn, to the start of spring, of course.
well yes, I know that, I just meant the months in NB particularly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.