Reload this Page >

Former Employer won't provide letter of experience

Former Employer won't provide letter of experience

Old Mar 12th 2016, 3:12 am
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road
Default Former Employer won't provide letter of experience

Hi all

I live in the US but am posting this in the Canada forum in the hope that someone might be able to advise. I was transferred to the US from Canada a couple of years ago by my current employer, who is now sponsoring me for a green card. Most of the process is complete, but for my I-140 I need a letter of reference from my original Canadian employer who I first worked for when moving over from the UK.

They are deliberately avoiding my phone calls and ignoring my emails requesting for a letter. I knew from the beginning of the process that I might have a problem with them given that they were unhappy when I chose to leave. All the letter needs is my start and finish dates as well as a list of my responsibilities-it's not even a reference letter.

It's a small business without a proper HR department and I've tried contacting the owner on several occasions, without success. Unfortunately there are no ex-employees that I know who might be able to help with a letter, as i know that this is sometimes acceptable.

Does anyone know if there is any way that I can compel them to provide such a letter, or whether there are any trade bodies in Canada that can require them to do so?
Old Mar 12th 2016, 4:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Former Employer won't provide letter of experience

Originally Posted by laidback4
Does anyone know if there is any way that I can compel them to provide such a letter, or whether there are any trade bodies in Canada that can require them to do so?
There is no way at all to compel them to provide anything other than what is mandated by law, a Record of Employment (government form) and T4.
Old Mar 12th 2016, 10:04 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

I live in the US but am posting this in the Canada forum in the hope that someone might be able to advise. I was transferred to the US from Canada a couple of years ago by my current employer, who is now sponsoring me for a green card. Most of the process is complete, but for my I-140 I need a letter of reference from my original Canadian employer who I first worked for when moving over from the UK.

They are deliberately avoiding my phone calls and ignoring my emails requesting for a letter. I knew from the beginning of the process that I might have a problem with them given that they were unhappy when I chose to leave. All the letter needs is my start and finish dates as well as a list of my responsibilities-it's not even a reference letter.

It's a small business without a proper HR department and I've tried contacting the owner on several occasions, without success. Unfortunately there are no ex-employees that I know who might be able to help with a letter, as i know that this is sometimes acceptable.

Try making it easier for them. Write the letter and email it asking them to print it on headed notepaper, sign it, and return. They probably can't be faffed looking up all that stuff and typing it out
Old Mar 13th 2016, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Whether your strategies work or not, I'd suggest compiling evidence (written is obviously best: emails, letters) that you made every effort that you possibly could to contact them ("read receipt" on emails; copies of emails; recorded mail etc.). No idea if for the application you are doing this will help, but I think you should compile the evidence anyway.

S
Old Mar 13th 2016, 2:03 pm
Just Joined

Martine2890 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all

Hi, I am an HR Counselor in the province of Québec. The law in Québec is such that you can claim such a letter that we call a work certificate: article 84 of Les Normes du Travail. From what province were you leaving? Sorry for my English!
Old Mar 13th 2016, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all for your responses. The job was in Ontario by the way. I'm in Canada for a couple of days at the moment and may pop in and see the employer and just try to persuade them to provide the letter. I'm hoping that they will find it more difficult to refuse if I'm actually there.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 3:01 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Lol yeh the Canadian way is to say "we will look into that for you straight away" then when u leave they will forget about it

Good luck tho anyhow. Best to at least try IMO
Old Mar 13th 2016, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi good luck!
Please update as to how you get on if you can!

S
Old Mar 13th 2016, 5:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hi good luck!
Please update as to how you get on if you can!

S
Old Mar 13th 2016, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your responses. The job was in Ontario by the way. I'm in Canada for a couple of days at the moment and may pop in and see the employer and just try to persuade them to provide the letter. I'm hoping that they will find it more difficult to refuse if I'm actually there.
In that case, do as Bats suggested & write up the letter for them, take it along & get them to print on letterhead & sign.
Old Mar 13th 2016, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martine2890
Hi, I am an HR Counselor in the province of Québec. The law in Québec is such that you can claim such a letter that we call a work certificate: article 84 of Les Normes du Travail. From what province were you leaving? Sorry for my English!
Hi!

There does not seem to be similar provision in the Ontario Employment Standard laws, unfortunately for the OP.
Old Mar 14th 2016, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

ScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond reputeScottyB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Whether your strategies work or not, I'd suggest compiling evidence (written is obviously best: emails, letters) that you made every effort that you possibly could to contact them ("read receipt" on emails; copies of emails; recorded mail etc.). No idea if for the application you are doing this will help, but I think you should compile the evidence anyway.

S
Great advice and this is what I had to do.

Send a recorded letter, kept the proof, included copies of my multiple emails and read receipts and I even copied my Mobile Phone Bill showing repeated calls to the Company concerned.

I wrote a letter supporting my application and referenced my challenges in getting the reference attaching all my proof and had no issues, best of luck.

Regards

ScottyB
Old Mar 14th 2016, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Well, I left a voicemail today and I did get an email back from a staff member there shortly afterwards. He advised the owner is dealing with my letter, is off until Monday next week and that he'll chase him up to respond to me at that point. Feels like a fob-off to me, but I'll wait until then and see what transpires. At least they are now responding anyway!
Old Mar 14th 2016, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'd ensure you include that email in the compilation that I suggested that you do.

S
Old Mar 16th 2016, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

An update as promised - my former employer emailed me out of the blue this morning, asked me a couple of questions about the immigration lawyer, and then provided the letter that I asked for! Obviously I'm very happy. Thanks to those of you that replied.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.