Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ford Explorer XLT

Ford Explorer XLT

Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ford Explorer XLT

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
plenty of room, for dog and even some luggage if necessary, unlike the TJ Jeep we have just bought, which is useless for the dog
How big is this dog, 5' ?
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dbd33
A point about the Explorer is that the space is distibuted oddly, the cargo area is relatively large while the back seat is slightly cramped. It would suit a family that favoured the dogs over the children, an English family, perhaps.
HA!

I have 2 dogs, a Doberman and a Boxer. I have two kids 12 years and 10 and I can say that my kids have ample (more room than my dogs). I have long legs and have my seat right back but they still have LOTS of room. Even when I have 3 similar aged kids in the back they are pretty comfy. (I own a really old one too!).

Each to their own style of vehicle - having driven some executive cars and 4x4's - I can say the first sit in the Explorer I hated it. Being on the opposite side of the vehicle did feel odd and probably added to my distain - but now I like it

....also.....Talk about generalise the whole English population - what absolute crap. - I wasn't going to mention it as I feel it was posted in a "troll" like fashion to incite some sort of row - but I did anyway!
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:37 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NatsnSid
....also.....Talk about generalise the whole English population - what absolute crap. - I wasn't going to mention it as I feel it was posted in a "troll" like fashion to incite some sort of row - but I did anyway!
I'm English. I have children. I have a dog. I am aware of creeping nannyism and metrosexuality in the UK but I think I know what values define our great country and putting the children in the roomy boot while squishing the dog in the little back seat is not one of them.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 4:58 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

How big is this dog, 5' ?
He's a Chow, so a decent size, about 60lbs and he had plenty of room in a PT, I think two chows could lay down quite comfortably tbh.

Here's a pic of him so you get the idea of size!

Oh Just noticed the 5' He's not a wolf As for the TJ, with the soft top on it, it's impossible to get him in the back. It's also impossible to get him in the back seat, so he has to sit rather uncomfortably on the front seat with DD in the back seat. If we could get him in the back we would have to fold the back seat down so we could only have two people in the car. So not a practicle vehicle for children and dogs all travelling together.
Attached Thumbnails Ford Explorer XLT-sitting-sofa-001.jpg  
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for saying that you have long legs and push the seat right back and still have enough legroom. My Hubby is tall, and this was a worry for us as it always is when we want to buy a new car of any description. My boys are 13 and 15 and the 15 year old is as big as his dad...so couldn't be expected to squish in.
lol
Stef
HA!

I have 2 dogs, a Doberman and a Boxer. I have two kids 12 years and 10 and I can say that my kids have ample (more room than my dogs). I have long legs and have my seat right back but they still have LOTS of room. Even when I have 3 similar aged kids in the back they are pretty comfy. (I own a really old one too!).

Each to their own style of vehicle - having driven some executive cars and 4x4's - I can say the first sit in the Explorer I hated it. Being on the opposite side of the vehicle did feel odd and probably added to my distain - but now I like it

Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:05 pm
Assimilated Pauper

He's a Chow, so a decent size, about 60lbs and he had plenty of room in a PT, I think two chows could lay down quite comfortably tbh.

Here's a pic of him so you get the idea of size!
Ah. Our dog is around 75lbs (and probably 5' from nose to tail). He has to do with the back seat of a Beetle.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:05 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

So not a practicle vehicle for children and dogs all travelling together.
I've travelled in the back of a TJ. Once was enough. Not a practical vehicle period.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:09 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

HA HA HA - the seats are not small ....my children are not hobbits, however they are both skinny - perhaps this appears to give them more room?

Generalised values....think they left a long time ago....

Good luck with your car search OP....I hope you find one to fit you all in, comfortably.
N
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:12 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Ah. Our dog is around 75lbs (and probably 5' from nose to tail). He has to do with the back seat of a Beetle.
The dog thinks I've gone mad, hugely suspicious of what a tape measure will do to him, he is about 3'5" from nose to where the tail joins his body. He likes to lay down when travelling and go to sleep, quite often upside down if he is on a back seat. He finds the Spitfire really uncomfortable as there just isn't enough room for him in that. And for some strange reason he always thinks he should be able to drive
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:13 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

And for some strange reason he always thinks he should be able to drive
Let me guess, is it a male dog
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by iaink
Let me guess, is it a male dog
Yep
Old Aug 4th 2010, 5:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

HA HA HA - the seats are not small ....my children are not hobbits, however they are both skinny - perhaps this appears to give them more room?
I hesitate to speculate about the configuration or appearance of your progeny and can only suggest that anyone considering an Explorer for use by people with average or plumper legs ought to rent one for a weekend so as to see how much crouching and groaning results. They might then consider that children, and dogs, are prone to expansion.