Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Football in Toronto

Football in Toronto

Old Aug 23rd 2011, 11:05 am
Forum Regular

Canadian_Fig is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Football in Toronto

I now have PR status in Canada and am based in Toronto...

I have been looking for places to play football mainly on a 'for fun' level rather than uber competitive level!
All searches seem to point me to childs leagues or organised events and approaching my mid 30's not what i am looking for :P

I was wondering if anyone local to Toronto is involved in any football, it has been suggested i just head down High Park on a saturday and ask to join any games going on...i might give that a go but was wondering if anyone here plays or knows how best to get involved in something, its mainly for the fitness and enjoyment of a good kick about rather then winning medals and being competitive.

And I mean what the locals call 'Soccer' not what i call 'handball' commonly know as American Football in europe
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 1:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football in Toronto

Originally Posted by Canadian_Fig

I have been looking for places to play football mainly on a 'for fun' level rather than uber competitive level!
All searches seem to point me to childs leagues or organised events and approaching my mid 30's not what i am looking for :P

I was wondering if anyone local to Toronto is involved in any football, it has been suggested i just head down High Park on a saturday and ask to join any games going on...i might give that a go but was wondering if anyone here plays or knows how best to get involved in something, its mainly for the fitness and enjoyment of a good kick about rather then winning medals and being competitive.

And I mean what the locals call 'Soccer' not what i call 'handball' commonly know as American Football in europe

I played in pick up games in Sunnybrook Park for years. It was just a matter of standing on the sidelines and waving until dragged into the game. Note that it's technically unlawful to play but I was only fined once, $52, in years of playing once a week. Curiously, we were never fined for our flagrant consumption of alcoholic beverages in the park after games.
Old Aug 23rd 2011, 4:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Football in Toronto

Originally Posted by Canadian_Fig

Type in "Trinity Bellwoods Free Pick Up Soccer" on Facebook. Usually we kick of at 3pm on a Sunday. I am on holiday but do some administration on the page.

Also check out Toronto Sports and Social. Good for meeting people and fun although not particularly good for fitness. I currently have two spaces on my team "roster" although these are for females.