Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

which foods to take to canada

Wikiposts

which foods to take to canada

Old Jan 27th 2006, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

firefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nicefirefox is just really nice
Default which foods to take to canada

Hi all,

Which foods that you canot get in canada should we take with us.
IE english mustard PG Tips tea and so on
many thanks
Andrew
Old Jan 27th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: which foods to take to canada

Marmite is thin on the ground!
Old Jan 28th 2006, 1:35 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Some would say that's the best place for it!!

J
Old Jan 28th 2006, 2:05 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't seen any Battenburg Cake around these parts. Kinda miss those.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by firefox
Hi all,

Which foods that you canot get in canada should we take with us.
IE english mustard PG Tips tea and so on
many thanks
Andrew
Hi Andrew,

We're in BC. We have found familiar brands of teabags readily available. However, what we've really missed is instant gravy e.g. Bisto. They just don't sell it! Also, crisps are rubbish here! No Walkers. And a poor range of flavours & greasy! Yuck.

The thing we have noticed in BC though is how expensive the food it. Cheese is particularly dear. We seem to be spending a bigger proportion of my salary on food now than in the UK. Ahhh....I love Tescos and Morrissons and their good value. Never thought I'd say that!!

Sarah
Old Jan 28th 2006, 2:29 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by SarahBC
Hi Andrew,

We're in BC. We have found familiar brands of teabags readily available. However, what we've really missed is instant gravy e.g. Bisto. They just don't sell it! Also, crisps are rubbish here! No Walkers. And a poor range of flavours & greasy! Yuck.

The thing we have noticed in BC though is how expensive the food it. Cheese is particularly dear. We seem to be spending a bigger proportion of my salary on food now than in the UK. Ahhh....I love Tescos and Morrissons and their good value. Never thought I'd say that!!

Sarah
I agree
We spend a bigger percentage on foodstuffs here than the UK
I find decent teabags are expensive, as are Kelloggs cereals, cheese, Yogurts, (well loads of stuff seems pricey to me...............some about the same)
Soap powder isn't too bad if you buy the big packs from places like Walmart (ASDA) and fresh meat, particularly Beef is reasonable.
On the whole you can get most things here, but yes, crisps, cordial, Colemans packet mixes and a decent tin of baked beans would be on my list.
Picked up a tin the other day to try, got it home and realised they were "Baked Beans in Maple Syrup'..................they were foul !
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:38 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Dude,

Leave the stuff and just embrace what Canada has to offer...things are different, stuff you might want might not be available here.

So the fish and chips taste different, the beans are different, teabgas taste funny, milk is called something different, blah de blah.

It's different because it's a long long way away on a different continent; keep it different and embrace that difference

Rich.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 3:59 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
Depends on where you live.

Marmite readily available in most major grocery stores in Calgary.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by stepnek
Haven't seen any Battenburg Cake around these parts. Kinda miss those.
I realise that this doesn't help you but it is available at the British Shop, Northland Drive Calgary. Or at least it was the last time I was in before Christmas.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:06 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Dude,

Leave the stuff and just embrace what Canada has to offer...things are different, stuff you might want might not be available here.

So the fish and chips taste different, the beans are different, teabgas taste funny, milk is called something different, blah de blah.

It's different because it's a long long way away on a different continent; keep it different and embrace that difference

Rich.
Hear Hear,
Ain't worth putting energy into, anyway gives Brits bad stereotype, like Beer swillers on Spanish Costas.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Dude,

Rich.
Well said Rich.

However one small point "teabgas taste funny" what h*ll are/is teabgas? If its teabags your meaning you supposed to pour hot water over them and drink the resulting liquid, not eat them. :scared:

Cheers
Steve
Old Jan 28th 2006, 4:14 am
Forum Regular

Spongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura aboutSpongebob has a spectacular aura about

We have been hear 5 years and still miss somethings, but it is not an issue any more.

However even though we have embraced canada and its foodstuffs we still miss certain items and will bring those items back with us (such as paxo stuffings) whenever we go back to see parents in the UK.

I think most people miss some type of british food regardless of how long they have been here.
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

offwego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hangman
Depends on where you live.

Marmite readily available in most major grocery stores in Calgary.

And Bisto gravy granules in Sobeys Calgary
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:05 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

i just bought a new jar of marmite here , and it seemed different, paler brown and more runny, whoever heard of runny marmite??
Old Jan 28th 2006, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spongebob

However even though we have embraced canada and its foodstuffs we still miss certain items and will bring those items back with us (such as paxo stuffings) whenever we go back to see parents in the UK.

I think most people miss some type of british food regardless of how long they have been here.
Exactly. I'm all for embracing what's new but there's nothing wrong with missing and enjoying a few of those treats that are maybe only available in the UK or wherever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.