Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food differences (i.e. where's the bacon?)

Food differences (i.e. where's the bacon?)

Old Jul 15th 2018, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

nanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond reputenanite2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Food differences (i.e. where's the bacon?)

Hi guys!

I just recently moved to Toronto, and enjoying it so far. I've been checking out the local supermarkets (Metro, Sobeys, and Loblaw), and I have some questions about the food differences here that I hope someone can help me with:
  1. Where can I get some decent bacon? I mean a decent thick slice of back or middle cut bacon? All the bacon I've seen so far are the thin rashers that are 90% fat - what do Canadian butchers do with the rest of the pig?
  2. What is the difference between white and brown eggs, other than the colour? Brown eggs *seem* to be more expensive - why?
  3. What's a decent loaf of bread? The ones I've tried so far are all sweet and very dry.
  4. Is Canadian butter...OK? It looks very pale...
  5. Any recommendation for a decent cookie/biscuit that isn't Oreos? What is the nearest equivalent to some chocolate Hob Nobs?
I'd love to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Thanks!
Old Jul 15th 2018, 10:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Food differences (i.e. where's the bacon?)

Originally Posted by nanite2000
[*]What is the difference between white and brown eggs, other than the colour? Brown eggs *seem* to be more expensive - why?

Thanks!
It is the colour or breed of the chicken that determines the colour of the egg.
One can tell the poss colour of the eggs by looking at the hens ears if one has the inclination.

How do I know this ? We've kept hens.

I suppose people think brown egg shells look more sturdy and wholesome . A nonsense of course.
Old Jul 15th 2018, 11:01 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Bacon, bake it in the oven and pour the excess fat off. It's yummy. You'll learn to love it and when you next taste British bacon it will taste off. Peameal bacon is quite nice.. that's the back bacon round bit

​​​​​​Bread. I don't eat the stuff but husband says Ace bakery products are good, also Sobey's bakedin store. For sliced there are several German style breads that don't have so much sugar.

​​​What else did you ask? Cookies? Again I don't eat them but try oatmeal raisin from the bakery section

​​​​​​It's not easy trying to shop when you first arrive and the best way is to stop trying to find the same stuff.

Didn't brown eggs cost more in the UK too? People think they taste better but eggs tastw of what they are fed. If all the hems are fed the same then all their eggs will taste the same.

Last edited by bats; Jul 15th 2018 at 11:03 pm. Reason: Forgot the eggs
Old Jul 16th 2018, 12:35 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
It is the colour or breed of the chicken that determines the colour of the egg.
One can tell the poss colour of the eggs by looking at the hens ears if one has the inclination.

How do I know this ? We've kept hens.

I suppose people think brown egg shells look more sturdy and wholesome . A nonsense of course.

I sell eggs. One of my customers told me that it was only when she went to university that she discovered that white eggs exist. She's a cradle.

Bacon, and most of the other desirable food items not offered in supermarkets, is available at the St. Lawrence Market.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 12:54 am
Just Joined

MinsterMan83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out Bulk Barn for UK biscuits, they even stock Garibaldi biscuits. Walmart also stock own brand rich teas, although I’ve never bought any.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 1:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nanite2000
Hi guys!

I just recently moved to Toronto, and enjoying it so far. I've been checking out the local supermarkets (Metro, Sobeys, and Loblaw), and I have some questions about the food differences here that I hope someone can help me with:
  1. Where can I get some decent bacon? I mean a decent thick slice of back or middle cut bacon? All the bacon I've seen so far are the thin rashers that are 90% fat - what do Canadian butchers do with the rest of the pig?
  2. What is the difference between white and brown eggs, other than the colour? Brown eggs *seem* to be more expensive - why?
  3. What's a decent loaf of bread? The ones I've tried so far are all sweet and very dry.
  4. Is Canadian butter...OK? It looks very pale...
  5. Any recommendation for a decent cookie/biscuit that isn't Oreos? What is the nearest equivalent to some chocolate Hob Nobs?
I'd love to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Thanks!

Hello and welcome to BE! Glad you've found us

Lou's double smoked back bacon is pretty close to UK bacon but without the bit of streaky on the end. I used to combine a few slices of lou's with a couple of rashers of typical Canadian streaky extra thick cut. Walmart are usually the cheapest place to buy it but Loblaws also sell it.
https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Meat-%26.../p/20285088_EA
Some people like 'peameal' bacon but it's not something i enjoy, although it's thicker than most bacon here.. just wash the peameal off!

Bread - https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ditalia.../6000196795247 is the nearest I've found to a basic white loaf. Just look for 'continental' ones

Canadian butter is fine - you can get lurpak butter which is Danish too, which looks the same.

Go to Fortinos (or similar) and get the chocolate digestives - they are almost identicle to McVitae's choc digestives (milk or plain). Haven't found anything similar to hobnobs, but you can buy hobnobs here - or if you are desperate, order them from Amazon.
https://www.loblaws.ca/Food/Pantry/C...20325376001_EA
Walmart sell chocolate hobnobs online, not always in store
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/mcvitie.../6000196203597
Bulk Barn and Walmart both sell quite a few Brit biscuits (though ask for cookies, as biscuit here is something completely different!) and other British foods.You can also get Branston, sandwich spread, pickled onions, some Brit chocolate like curly wurlies etc., at Bulk Barn -

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en/Products/C.../International

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 16th 2018 at 1:23 am.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 1:24 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Lou's double smoked back bacon is pretty close to UK bacon but without the bit of streaky on the end. I used to combine a few slices of lou's with a couple of rashers of typical Canadian streaky extra thick cut.
Some people like 'peameal' bacon but it's not something i enjoy, although it's thicker than most bacon here.. just wash the peameal off!

Bread - https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/ditalia.../6000196795247 is the nearest I've found to a basic white loaf. Just look for 'continental' ones

Canadian butter is fine - you can get lurpak butter which is Danish too, which looks the same.

Go to Fortinos (or similar) and get the chocolate digestives - they are almost identicle to McVitae's choc digestives (milk or plain). Haven't found anything similar to hobnobs, but you can buy hobnobs here - or if you are desperate, order them from Amazon.
Bulk Barn and Walmart both sell quite a few Brit biscuits (though ask for cookies, as biscuit here is something completely different!) and other British foods.You can also get Branston, sandwich spread, pickled onions, some Brit chocolate like curly wurlies etc., at Bulk Barn -

Bulk Barn - International
you can get Lurpak? I used to love that stuff, and Wheelbarrow. Now I get Kawartha Dairy or Stirling. Both local.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 2:20 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think we must be in some sort of Brit enclave here on the Island. All of these things have been available for years here. Walmart, Superstore and Bulk Barn between them cover pretty much every need. The only thing I think I still miss is the Bisto Best gravy granules. I can even pick up UK baked beans these days - in bulk!
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:13 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Thick cut bacon is close to what you're looking for .......... or go to a butcher's shop, they usually sell sliced bacon and you can ask them them to cut it thicker. BUT be careful .......... the other week OH asked for some thick cut double smoked bacon from a butcher we occasionally use.

We got 8 slices and it cost about $15.

Buy specialty bread, or bread from the bakery section of a supermarket, or go to a private bakery.

Buy your cookies from the store bakery or a bakery.

Brown eggs have long been thought to be "better" or "better for you" than white eggs ............ used to be the same in the UK as well. I think it might have been because white eggs are more commonly laid. Buy extra large eggs if you can ......... the regular size ones are really tiny!

But do try to find Canadian replacements for foods, then you won't end up hankering for British all the time!
Old Jul 16th 2018, 7:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
Brown eggs have long been thought to be "better" or "better for you" than white eggs ............ used to be the same in the UK as well. I think it might have been because white eggs are more commonly laid.
Brown egg laying breeds are far more prolific than white egg layers. I have hens that lay both, along with blue egg layers, no idea how they'd be viewed by the OP.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 8:20 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Please elaborate a bit on this. I've raised chickens and had no idea and in some circles it might make a great parlour trick.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

Allie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond reputeAllie73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
The only thing I think I still miss is the Bisto Best gravy granules. I can even pick up UK baked beans these days - in bulk!
Amazon.ca sells Bisto. I've bought it from there a few times.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie

Lou's double smoked back bacon is pretty close to UK bacon but without the bit of streaky on the end. I used to combine a few slices of lou's with a couple of rashers of typical Canadian streaky extra thick cut. Walmart are usually the cheapest place to buy it but Loblaws also sell it.

Bulk Barn - International
OK Siouxie, where do you get your Lurpak from in Canada? Based on your comment I googled it and I see you can get it on line via Amazon and Walmart.com. I don't see a bricks and mortar shop that sells it? Lurpak is what I was brought up on and still get when I go back to the UK every years and stay with my mother for a few weeks.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 12:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Hobnobs are available here in Sobeys. They are in with the rest of the biscuits not the world/imported stuff

As for Bacon Loblaw here does Bacon rounds. This is not middle bacon but a compromise vs going to a Butcher and paying a lot as mentioned above.
PC Naturally Smoked Bacon Rounds | PC.ca

Streaky bacon is fine if you are draping a bird with it ( ooh err Mrs) or you like it cremated. You could also find a decent Butcher/farm buy the side in bulk and slice it yourself. This would likely be more cost effective per kg.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Bacon, bake it in the oven and pour the excess fat off. It's yummy.
Grilling that way works too.

Maple Leaf packs are consistently far and away the best for more meat/less fat - you can get lucky with other brands, but rarely - just buy the when they're on offer for $3 or $3.50 (most likely Shoppers Drugmart for that) and keep a couple of packs in the freezer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.