Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Food costs per week

Wikiposts

Food costs per week

Old Sep 4th 2004, 8:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

SANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really niceSANDRAPAUL is just really nice
Default Food costs per week

What does a family spend on food a week.

Family of 3?
Family of 5?

It makes a difference on the numbers of mouths to feed.

What is this as a percentage of the household income?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 1:01 am
squarepants

Default Re: Food costs per week

This might help:

http://www.canadaone.com/ezine/exper...qa.html?id=133

Originally Posted by SANDRAPAUL

Family of 3?
Family of 5?

Old Sep 5th 2004, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

Bozlyone is an unknown quantity at this point

Family of 3?
Family of 5?

I too wanted to find out this question. Now that we have made the move over it is becoming clearer that the price of food here is not that cheap.

There are 6 of us in my family 2 adults and 4 children under 8. For the first few months we have easily spent $200 per week on food shopping. I am hoping to get this down slightly if possible but I know it wont come down by too much. There are savings to be made if you buy in bulk at places like Costco etc just like in the UK.

Eating out is a lot cheaper than in the UK. If you want more specific detaill let me know and I will give you specific prices. You can also go on to the Safeway webiste but you have to take into account that most of the superstores have a discount program (which does not cost anything) and you get additional money off.

http://www.safeway.com you will need to put in a Canadian postcode ( ex. T6G 1T6)

Good luck
Old Sep 5th 2004, 2:10 am
squarepants

Yes.....but costco doesn't just hand out card membership to everyone There is that new one ( sams club ) that just opened near us, it's a lot better.

I am a costco member, but find we don't go there very often, and still have to pay the full fee for renewal of our cards.

Originally Posted by Bozlyone
I too wanted to find out this question. Now that we have made the move over it is becoming clearer that the price of food here is not that cheap.

There are 6 of us in my family 2 adults and 4 children under 8. For the first few months we have easily spent $200 per week on food shopping. I am hoping to get this down slightly if possible but I know it wont come down by too much. There are savings to be made if you buy in bulk at places like Costco etc just like in the UK.

Eating out is a lot cheaper than in the UK. If you want more specific detaill let me know and I will give you specific prices. You can also go on to the Safeway webiste but you have to take into account that most of the superstores have a discount program (which does not cost anything) and you get additional money off.

http://www.safeway.com you will need to put in a Canadian postcode ( ex. T6G 1T6)

Good luck

Old Sep 5th 2004, 6:41 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Family of 3?
Family of 5?

Obviously this depends on how fussy you are and how expensive your tastes are. I shop at "No Frills" once a week for two adults and a toddler, and probably average $100 per week, although if we had to cut back we could probably remove some of the luxury items and bring it down to $50-60 per week. Percentage of household income will depends on the houshold income!
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:04 am
squarepants

$100 a week, that is not bad, our is less than that of course, but then again, I just go for the unbranded stuff at zehrs, and I get pc points for that What counts as luxury items in your case?

Luxury for me, is my lactose free milk, @ $4.39 for a 2ltr box.

Originally Posted by iaink
Obviously this depends on how fussy you are and how expensive your tastes are. I shop at "No Frills" once a week for two adults and a toddler, and probably average $100 per week, although if we had to cut back we could probably remove some of the luxury items and bring it down to $50-60 per week. Percentage of household income will depends on the houshold income!

Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:11 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by squarepants
What counts as luxury items in your case?
Name brand toilet roll
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:14 am
squarepants

Don't be shy, drop ( pardon the pun ) names Why so, if it's for the bog?

Originally Posted by iaink
Name brand toilet roll

Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Yes.....but costco doesn't just hand out card membership to everyone There is that new one ( sams club ) that just opened near us, it's a lot better.

I am a costco member, but find we don't go there very often, and still have to pay the full fee for renewal of our cards.
Same with us...unless I'm making soup or chilli or whatever in bulk and freezing it....I tend to buy alot of fresh fruits/vegs and in the winter they are expensive.

Wish we had more variety of no-name brands like you do in Ontario. We are very limited here in paradise
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:29 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Don't be shy, drop ( pardon the pun ) names Why so, if it's for the bog?
Cottonelle, avoiding the details lets just say I get a much easier time from the wife if i dont but the cheap stuff!!! All a bit OT though.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willmore
Wish we had more variety of no-name brands like you do in Ontario. We are very limited here in paradise
That's the price you pay for living in paradise.
Old Sep 5th 2004, 7:32 am
squarepants

You can keep your paradise popped out an hour ago to zehrs, and got some more pop ( cranberry juice, ginger ale, lemonade, tonic water, soda water ), all for 99c each for 2 ltr bottle. presidents choice of course, and got meself some points for that Why spend $1.69 for a name brand?

Originally Posted by willmore
Same with us...unless I'm making soup or chilli or whatever in bulk and freezing it....I tend to buy alot of fresh fruits/vegs and in the winter they are expensive.

Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:26 am
Invisi... K

ksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond reputeksct97 has a reputation beyond repute

do the shop own brands taste like national branded products? i mean here in england, stuff in sainsbury's and tesco's are packed usually by the same people who do branded stuff like kellogs for example... this the same over there in canada?
Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:30 am
squarepants

Do they taste like branded products, no is the answer to that. They taste a lot better in my opinion, and to think you are paying half the price, is just flippin' brilliant.

I have never been one for labels anyway !

Originally Posted by ksct97
do the shop own brands taste like national branded products? i mean here in england, stuff in sainsbury's and tesco's are packed usually by the same people who do branded stuff like kellogs for example... this the same over there in canada?

Old Sep 5th 2004, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

You can keep your paradise popped out an hour ago to zehrs, and got some more pop ( cranberry juice, ginger ale, lemonade, tonic water, soda water ), all for 99c each for 2 ltr bottle. presidents choice of course, and got meself some points for that Why spend $1.69 for a name brand?
You can stop gloating any time.....there are still advantages to living in expensive paradise!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.