Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

flying out weds, computers, can i dhl them as GTF?

flying out weds, computers, can i dhl them as GTF?

Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:13 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute
Default flying out weds, computers, can i dhl them as GTF?

hi, im shipping my stuff groupage so it will be 12w to get there, i wondered can i dhl or fed ex my two computers ( mine and sons) to canada, and pick them up from customs using my GTF list? or does my whole GTF have to arrive in one go?

also anyone flown air transat with a bay? he is 14m and i have paid for him to have a seat but he has to have a car seat that is covered by canadian laws, im not sure how to find out if mine does? dont want to get there and be told we cant use the car seat and have to hire or buy one there
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:30 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flying out weds, computers, can i dhl them as GTF?

A couple of years ago, the police did a big stop check in our town checking child car seats to see that, firstly, they were legal and, secondly, that kids were being strapped in correctly. I didn't have my kids with me at the time but I asked them to check my car seat. It was a Britax one we'd bought with us from the UK. It was still in perfect condition and identical to ones you could buy here. However, they told me that it wasn't legal in Canada, purely because it didn't have the Canadian safety logo on it (although it did have the European one). I was advised that had I had a child in it at the time, they would have given me a ticket!
Old Dec 17th 2011, 7:40 pm
finally together...

__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute__TJ__ has a reputation beyond repute

crud. ok well his safety is the most important thing so if i have to get dh to get another one to meet me at the airport with ( he is there already) that is do-able. i just wonder about the plane, will they let me on with it i asked on the phone line but they couldnt say definitively, and im trying to tie up all the possible pooch screws that could occour!

thanks for the tip tho, i will deffo get car seat properly fitted and checked. he is one of my three favourite children
Old Dec 17th 2011, 10:15 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by __TJ__
crud. ok well his safety is the most important thing so if i have to get dh to get another one to meet me at the airport with ( he is there already) that is do-able. i just wonder about the plane, will they let me on with it i asked on the phone line but they couldnt say definitively, and im trying to tie up all the possible pooch screws that could occour!

thanks for the tip tho, i will deffo get car seat properly fitted and checked. he is one of my three favourite children
If you're flying from the UK, I don't see how they can expect you to have a Canadian car seat anyway for the flight?! Surely, if you have a UK approved one.

Also, as far as a car seat this end, we never did purchase another one. When the one we had was identical to those here apart from the safety stamp being different, it seemed a bit silly. The car seat stop check that I encountered was the only one I've come across too. Don't get me wrong, if I felt that by purchasing another car seat was going to make a difference to my child's safety I wouldn't have hesitated but, for the sake of a different stamp, it seemed a bit pointless.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:07 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

hi, im shipping my stuff groupage so it will be 12w to get there, i wondered can i dhl or fed ex my two computers ( mine and sons) to canada, and pick them up from customs using my GTF list? or does my whole GTF have to arrive in one go?

also anyone flown air transat with a bay? he is 14m and i have paid for him to have a seat but he has to have a car seat that is covered by canadian laws, im not sure how to find out if mine does? dont want to get there and be told we cant use the car seat and have to hire or buy one there
With regards to the computer question, as long as you declare all goods when you land you can import the goods in bits and pieces, all they will do when they release the goods is cross out each line item and ask you "is that everthing". We had GTF by ship and air, air turned up 7 days after we landed and ship turned up 12 weeks. All was on GTF as seperate lists which were stapled to main form.....we got all goods released ok.

JB

Last edited by JB0591; Dec 17th 2011 at 11:14 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2011, 11:54 pm
finally together...

Thanks jb that helps, I thought but wasn't sure that gtf can be in Sri bs and drabs. Will make sure they are on my b4a.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 12:07 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheThornes
If you're flying from the UK, I don't see how they can expect you to have a Canadian car seat anyway for the flight?! Surely, if you have a UK approved one.
It is Transport Canada rules that the airline has to conform to and affects Canadian registered A/C only not any old flight coming into Canada on any carrier.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 3:41 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

Thanks jb that helps, I thought but wasn't sure that gtf can be in Sri bs and drabs. Will make sure they are on my b4a.
Just to let you know (if you dont know this), you dont have to fill in B4 form before you arrive, they will do that for you. All you need is the GTF on a list (or multiple lists) with prices and serial numbers of electrical items, also photos of jewellery etc.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 6:52 am
finally together...

Photos of jewellery???!!!! Gulp! I have a rather extensive collection three days may not be enough! I have valuations etc

Question about "used prior to emigration" what about Christmas pressure, dh has bought me a ring but it's off being resized and won't be ready in time(despite me telling them the deadline was set in stone, and why!) I haven't actually "used" it yet, how do I get round that?

Will call airtransat again about the car seat thing because it's bothering me! Thanks all!
Old Dec 18th 2011, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Photos of jewellery???!!!! Gulp! I have a rather extensive collection three days may not be enough! I have valuations etc

Question about "used prior to emigration" what about Christmas pressure, dh has bought me a ring but it's off being resized and won't be ready in time(despite me telling them the deadline was set in stone, and why!) I haven't actually "used" it yet, how do I get round that?

Will call airtransat again about the car seat thing because it's bothering me! Thanks all!
Oh how CBSA love travellers like you
Lets have some fun with this example but also use it for the benefit of others. Obviously you have read information about settlers effects and used terms prior to landing in Canada. So what do travellers do ? they go out and buy new stuff that dont meet the regulations or will not qualify
They then arrive in Canada and declare their goods etc. Lets just say CBSA examine them and find these goods that dont qualify or meet the regulations what is the CBSA officer supposed to do and better still if it was your job what would you do?

Dont fret too much over it unless it happens to be a 3 carat, princess cut d coloured flawless diamond ring from Tiffanys.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 5:07 pm
finally together...

right so as i have actually worn it ( for all of half and hour) its ok
and no its a 5 carat ruby it was a bargain tho!

so the new book i got dh for his christmas, hypothetically could be due duty? does it matter that he is already settled in canada (of two weeks) what does that do to the effects? going slightly with it all.
Old Dec 18th 2011, 5:56 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

so the new book i got dh for his christmas, hypothetically could be due duty?
CBSA will quiz you in the plot. If you can't clearly outline the nuances of character development, they'll deem the book is new and you'll have to pay duty.

Old Dec 18th 2011, 7:15 pm
finally together...

theres no plot lol its the charley boorman drives across canada. and having seen the series i can give detailed descriptions about his stops along the way

seriously tho, what about xmas gifts? they are wrapped and ready to go, do i have to declare them. will they make me stand there in front of the kids and tell them what i have bought them for xmas? i got ds a tablet pc and its a big surprise, and dd is getting a bunch of games for her ds etc. im happy to list them and hand them to the customs officer but can i ask them for discretion do you think they will or be jobsworth about it?

technically. i knwo the goods should be used before import, but gifts? surely four days before christmas they will be lenient?
Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

theres no plot lol its the charley boorman drives across canada. and having seen the series i can give detailed descriptions about his stops along the way

seriously tho, what about xmas gifts? they are wrapped and ready to go, do i have to declare them. will they make me stand there in front of the kids and tell them what i have bought them for xmas? i got ds a tablet pc and its a big surprise, and dd is getting a bunch of games for her ds etc. im happy to list them and hand them to the customs officer but can i ask them for discretion do you think they will or be jobsworth about it?

technically. i knwo the goods should be used before import, but gifts? surely four days before christmas they will be lenient?
This is our favourite time of the year as we get to spoil christmas for kids
arriving in Canada to start their new lives in Canada.
The BSO will question you about the gifts and will inadvertently activate the tannoy system that will announce to all in the immediate area what gifts you have got for your kids. Several of the officers will then take possession of the said nintendo games and dissapear into a room for several hours where they will review the content of these games to ensure that they are not prohibited. Just ignore the laughter and shouts coming from that room its not like they are having fun or anything.