Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

flying out dogs

flying out dogs

Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:51 pm
Highland Member

Highlander05 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flying out dogs

Has anyone any 1st hand experience on flying out dogs, Glasgow ~ Vancouver. Any information would be most appreciated.
Best airline ........ process ......... how stressful for dog ..........prices etc.
Thx
Old Mar 9th 2006, 1:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flying out dogs

I did Glasgow-Toronto-Winnipeg last Oct with mine...but that was AC and the transatlantic part of that route doesn't exist anymore Real shame...especially as they forgot to charge me a penny, obviously didn't deal with livestock regularly!!!!

But as regards ground staff at Abbotsinch airport, they were fine with the dog, no problems there. We saw him be loaded on, all was fine. And it was okay to leave the castors on his crate, a guy went behind him up the belt into the hold.

Dog was a bit fretful when being wheeled round airports, but fine otherwise. No ill effects noticeable. He had a drink of water at Toronto and didn't mess his crate at all.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 6:07 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light

Not to Vancouver, but 2 dogs and our cat flew LHR to Toronto. Cost was £660 with British Airways. BA were wonderful! Animals all arrived happy and content and were not stressed in the slightest.
Old Mar 12th 2006, 11:01 pm
Forum Regular

martikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant futuremartikaxx has a brilliant future

Hi
Air Canada, easy - if you have all the shots and vet certificate saying the dog is healthy to travel, not stressful for the dog, give a nice soft bedding to lie on though and the cost was minimal (if you do it yourself and dont go through a shipping agency) about 400 quid I seem to remember. I bought the crate from Air Par in Colchester which was also cheap.
Good luck
Old Mar 12th 2006, 11:09 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Hi

I'm looking to fly my Cocker Spaniel out from Manchester to Toronto. I would expect to be flying him out probably just after Christmas this year. AC don't run a winter service from Mcr to TO so any ideas on other airlines. I've flown with Zoom before and they were fine. Not too sure about dogs though. Any ideas anyone?

Drew
Old Mar 12th 2006, 11:28 pm
Here at last!!!

sydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant futuresydney has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Hi

I'm looking to fly my Cocker Spaniel out from Manchester to Toronto. I would expect to be flying him out probably just after Christmas this year. AC don't run a winter service from Mcr to TO so any ideas on other airlines. I've flown with Zoom before and they were fine. Not too sure about dogs though. Any ideas anyone?

Drew
Hi
We did Man-Toronto last year with Air Transat (Canadian company) through Globespan. The dog travelled as excess baggage and cost about £125. It was a pain to book because we didn't know whether to book the dog first and hope we got seats or book our seats and hope that the dog would fit (I think that it is best to book your seats first). Once booked we then had to buy a crate from a company (I can't remember who but I'll look it up if you need to know) and they brought the crate to the airport for us (that cost about another £125ish). It depends on the size of your dog.
They were very good with the dog but the plane was uncomfortable to travel on with small seats and little legroom. However the staff were very helpful almost as compensation. But it was easy to travel with the dog and we were only doing it once.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:37 am
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sydney
Hi
We did Man-Toronto last year with Air Transat (Canadian company) through Globespan. The dog travelled as excess baggage and cost about £125. It was a pain to book because we didn't know whether to book the dog first and hope we got seats or book our seats and hope that the dog would fit (I think that it is best to book your seats first). Once booked we then had to buy a crate from a company (I can't remember who but I'll look it up if you need to know) and they brought the crate to the airport for us (that cost about another £125ish). It depends on the size of your dog.
They were very good with the dog but the plane was uncomfortable to travel on with small seats and little legroom. However the staff were very helpful almost as compensation. But it was easy to travel with the dog and we were only doing it once.
Syd

Thanks for the reply. If you could dig out the number of the company you got the crate from then I'd really appreciate it.
Whereabouts do you live.
Cheers
Drew

PS What kind of dog have you got and what vaccinations etc did he or she need. My vet has told me that all our guy need needs is a rabies shot and a health certificate issued by the UK Government.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Syd

Thanks for the reply. If you could dig out the number of the company you got the crate from then I'd really appreciate it.
Whereabouts do you live.
Cheers
Drew

PS What kind of dog have you got and what vaccinations etc did he or she need. My vet has told me that all our guy need needs is a rabies shot and a health certificate issued by the UK Government.

Try a Varikennel crate - they're just a big plastic pet carrier, available in different sizes. I got mine from an online pet shop. Means you can use it again, rather than just getting a wooden one made and having to chuck it away when you get there.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Syd

Whereabouts do you live.
Cheers
Drew

Try Varikennel - I got mine online for 2 cats. They're ABTA approved for airline use and come in different sizes. We bought Vet Beds for them that wick away moisture (ie. pee) and they still use them as they can be washed.

Only vaccination required for Canada is rabies and a 'fit to fly' certificate issued by your vet no more than 48 hours before flying.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by TrishB
Try Varikennel - I got mine online for 2 cats. They're ABTA approved for airline use and come in different sizes. We bought Vet Beds for them that wick away moisture (ie. pee) and they still use them as they can be washed.

Only vaccination required for Canada is rabies and a 'fit to fly' certificate issued by your vet no more than 48 hours before flying.

?ABTA??? What am I like???? I meant IATA!! (It's too damn early in the morning to be at work!!)
Old Mar 13th 2006, 10:39 pm
Kelly

Originally Posted by TrishB

Trish
Thanks for the info. You still got a lot of snow up there?

Drew
Old Mar 14th 2006, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Highlander05
Has anyone any 1st hand experience on flying out dogs, Glasgow ~ Vancouver. Any information would be most appreciated.
Best airline ........ process ......... how stressful for dog ..........prices etc.
Thx
We flew our 2 Springer Spaniels from Glasgow to Vancouver last November with British Airways. It was £90 for each dog. We were charged an extra £200 for the transfer between flights at Heathrow, when they take them to the kennels. We hadn't been told about this in advance and were a bit annoyed (to say the least!) You have to give BA the dimensions of your crates in advance and they tell you if they have the space on the flight you want to book.

Our dogs were fine on arrival and I was worried sick about them. Altogether they had been travelling for 23 hours. Remember they need to get rabies shots to come to Canada.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:15 am
Highland Member

Highlander05 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone for your advice.
I think we will fly out with BA - have done all the other airlines and BA were best for us ~ so i am hoping they will be for the dogs as well.
will have to check the Heathrow transfer though if the flight is not direct.
1 of my dogs gets travel sick :scared: so will have to speak to my vet about that. Not too pleasant for the other dog in the crate

Originally Posted by Higgy
We flew our 2 Springer Spaniels from Glasgow to Vancouver last November with British Airways. It was £90 for each dog. We were charged an extra £200 for the transfer between flights at Heathrow, when they take them to the kennels. We hadn't been told about this in advance and were a bit annoyed (to say the least!) You have to give BA the dimensions of your crates in advance and they tell you if they have the space on the flight you want to book.

Our dogs were fine on arrival and I was worried sick about them. Altogether they had been travelling for 23 hours. Remember they need to get rabies shots to come to Canada.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:25 am
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Has anyone here used the Bach flower remedies on their dogs prior to flight? It's probably not scientifically evaluated but they certainly don't do any harm and holistic vets approve. I'm going to try using a combination of the remedies for coping with fear and anxiousness.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 10:30 am
Livin' it large in BC.

Chops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to allChops is a name known to all

Originally Posted by h_henry
Has anyone here used the Bach flower remedies on their dogs prior to flight? It's probably not scientifically evaluated but they certainly don't do any harm and holistic vets approve. I'm going to try using a combination of the remedies for coping with fear and anxiousness.
We took our dog to BC for 3 months last winter. Flew from LHR to Calgary via Air Canada.

Everything worked out ok if a bit expensive.

We were told that it was best not to drug the dog as it can complicate or confuse matters if the animal becomes unwell for any reason.

Bear in mind the cargo hold will be dark and warm so the dog will just sleep. The stressful bit will be at the airports. On the way out our dog remained with us until the last minute which helped keep her calm.

The only bad bit was when she was dumped in the baggage reclaim for some time whilst the missus was grilled by Canadian Immigration.

She (the dog ) is pretty highly strung but seemed to be over experience in no time at all.

Ian.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.