Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying with my cat

Flying with my cat

Old Apr 6th 2019, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

christopher123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flying with my cat

Hi, I am in the process of organising my flight with my cat to Toronto. I am looking at British Airways, Air Canada, Air Transat and KLM. If anyone has any experience with these I would love to hear your experiences.

My main question is around the process of checking in with a pet. When I get to the airport what do I need to do, and how does checking in with a pet work? Do I need to take my cat out of her container at any time and if I do is this done in the public scanning area or a seperate room? Is my cat taken when I check my luggage or later on?

I am also thinking of putting a blanket in the cage, and some ice cubes in the small food container that is attached to the cage door so she will have water during the flight as it melts. Is this a good or bad idea?

I have been trying to find this information online and its been a bit difficult so if anyone has any information here I would really appreciate it as I am quite worried about the experience and how my cat will react.

Thanks in advance.

Chris
Old Apr 7th 2019, 1:53 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying with my cat

Originally Posted by christopher123
Hi, I am in the process of organising my flight with my cat to Toronto. I am looking at British Airways, Air Canada, Air Transat and KLM. If anyone has any experience with these I would love to hear your experiences.

My main question is around the process of checking in with a pet. When I get to the airport what do I need to do, and how does checking in with a pet work? Do I need to take my cat out of her container at any time and if I do is this done in the public scanning area or a seperate room? Is my cat taken when I check my luggage or later on?

I am also thinking of putting a blanket in the cage, and some ice cubes in the small food container that is attached to the cage door so she will have water during the flight as it melts. Is this a good or bad idea?

I have been trying to find this information online and its been a bit difficult so if anyone has any information here I would really appreciate it as I am quite worried about the experience and how my cat will react.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Hello and welcome to BE! Exciting times ahead for you!

Air Transat allow cats to travel (in their carrier) in the cabin or as checked luggage, if that's of help to you - they also allow you to arrange everything yourself (Air Canada / BA tend to want you to use a pet transportation company) - AT are considerably cheaper as well. Your pet will remain in the carrier at all times, unless they wish to inspect for health reason.

You will need a 'fit to fly' certificate from your vet.
You can read more about it on AT's website - use the dropdown https://www.airtransat.com/en-CA/Tra...d-service-dogs

We've also got a wiki article about it - and there's a ton of threads on the subject of transporting pets generally (including descriptions of what happens at the aiport) if you do a quick search (use advanced search)
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Transporting_Pets-Canada
Old Apr 7th 2019, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute

We traveled with a cat using Air Canada out of Heathrow but it was a while ago. We had to take the cat out at Heathrow, so they could x ray the carrier. We had it as checked luggage but it was in a crate, not sure if that makes a difference. Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Grimnorth
We traveled with a cat using Air Canada out of Heathrow but it was a while ago. We had to take the cat out at Heathrow, so they could x ray the carrier. We had it as checked luggage but it was in a crate, not sure if that makes a difference. Good luck.
Did you do it in a separate room or was it in the public area?
Old Apr 7th 2019, 2:53 pm
Forum Regular

Grimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond reputeGrimnorth has a reputation beyond repute

Public area, the wife had to hold him. It was ten years ago but she still has the claw marks I think.
Old Apr 7th 2019, 8:11 pm
Just Joined

Tabindi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christopher123
Did you do it in a separate room or was it in the public area?
When we did this three years ago our cats flew in the cabin with us on an Air Canada flight. My husband took them to a separate room to scan the carrier. Very easy!
Old Apr 7th 2019, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Well I am going to have to put her in the hold as I think the flight is a bit too long for her to be in the cabin. The only thing I am worried about is taking her out when there are loads of people and noise. I was hoping they had some private area for this.
When they do the scan do they take the carrier then? or do you keep it with you until you board?