Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying with baby

Flying with baby

Old Mar 6th 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying with baby

Originally Posted by dingbat
I If you are breast feeding: Feed as often as the baby wants, don't give a monkey's if the old git next to you nearly drops dead from shock when you get out the feeding tackle.
:
really??? its ok to offend people? some people arent just a bit indignant about this they are deeply embarassed. so maybe a bit of consideration for your neighbour might be reasonable?
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

VCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really niceVCox is just really nice

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
really??? its ok to offend people? some people arent just a bit indignant about this they are deeply embarassed. so maybe a bit of consideration for your neighbour might be reasonable?
Is it OK to leave your baby crying of hunger then? How about a bit of consideration for the mother? It's not easy to feel comfortable breastfeeding in public, precisely because of the attitudes of ignorant people like you.

How many breastfeeding women have you seen flashing their assets around for all to see? The reality is you'd have to peer very closely indeed to catch a glimpse of flesh, or heaven forbid a nipple.

Talk about offending people, you seem to have no problem doing so!
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:20 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever find yourself stuck on a plane next to a nursing mother, you might console yourself that she's breast feeding a member of her own species. My sister-in-law in South Africa belongs to a group of people who are passionate about saving orphaned vervet monkeys. My SIL bottle feeds them, but a member of her group breast feeds them. I dare say she refrains from doing that on planes, though.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 9:27 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Which bloody century were you born in? If people are embarassed it's their problem for being smallminded FFS. Looking the other way is always an option of course which is actually what decent people who DON'T find it offensive do anyway...
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:22 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. Woe betide anyone who tells me to feed my children in a toilet as well. I have been known to pick up an objectors plate in a restaurant and walk towards the loo. When the "embarrassed" or indignant objector protests my only quiet and usually polite response is to ask why my baby has to eat in there then? It usually shuts them up. I feed discreetly, I really and truly do not give a hoot if people claim to be embarrassed. They have sex, breasts were built to feed infants, infants are human, the objectors can suck it up as it were.
Old Mar 6th 2006, 10:39 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you ever find yourself stuck on a plane next to a nursing mother, you might console yourself that she's breast feeding a member of her own species. My sister-in-law in South Africa belongs to a group of people who are passionate about saving orphaned vervet monkeys. My SIL bottle feeds them, but a member of her group breast feeds them. I dare say she refrains from doing that on planes, though.
LMAO. That would be a conversation starter for sure...
Old Mar 7th 2006, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

i knew this would get some replies but posted it anyway. Nowhere in the post did i say i was offended by breast feeding, what annoyed me was the lack of consideration for others in doing so. i know my mother would be embarrased and my father would have been mortified. They are all decent human beings and old gits and certainly wouldnt want a baby to starve. the orginal post was ,
don't give a monkey's if the old git next to you nearly drops dead from shock when you get out the feeding tackle. Relax,
Yes feed your baby but do it discretely and dont flash the boobs all over the place. you expect consdieration from your neighbours presumably? not to wake the baby etc etc, so why not consider them?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:07 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Yes feed your baby but do it discretely and dont flash the boobs all over the place. you expect consdieration from your neighbours presumably? not to wake the baby etc etc, so why not consider them?
Exactly. A bit of give and take, not just take, is nice on a plane.

If people want a child-free flying environment, let THEM worry about how to get it (fly bussiness or move seats, it is THEIR problem not yours).
Please don't develop this sort of arrogant attitude. Many people would love a childfree flight but can't afford to pay for business/first class. Also, I expect that a childfree airline would be very popular, but it would never be allowed because of the many parents who would cry discrimination if it was attempted. YES, flying with a baby is very stressful, but it's a choice that you have made. The person next to you didn't make that choice, so cut them some slack. I flew back from Vancouver a while ago on a flight which included seven newborn babies. Many of the parents were great, but some of them had the entitlement attitude displayed above, and of course everybody suffered for it.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

yodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant future

Most new born babies sleep almost all the time so I really dont think its a problem.
What will you say to 7 toddlers...thats stress with a capital S

And sitting next to a parent with a new born baby.. you might as well help out with the carrying if shes travelling alone. Just a few hours flight anyway.

Attitude is everything
Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
Exactly. A bit of give and take, not just take, is nice on a plane.

Please don't develop this sort of arrogant attitude. Many people would love a childfree flight but can't afford to pay for business/first class. Also, I expect that a childfree airline would be very popular, but it would never be allowed because of the many parents who would cry discrimination if it was attempted. YES, flying with a baby is very stressful, but it's a choice that you have made. The person next to you didn't make that choice, so cut them some slack. I flew back from Vancouver a while ago on a flight which included seven newborn babies. Many of the parents were great, but some of them had the entitlement attitude displayed above, and of course everybody suffered for it.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Chipotle will become famous soon enoughChipotle will become famous soon enough

The variety of people in an airplane often represents the real world out there (some old, some young, some babies). In an ideal world we would all tolerate one another. In reality we don't. Over the years I have travelled all over the place in every airline imaginable and I am dismayed to see that in every plane there is someone who excels at tutting and complaining at the smallest baby/child cry.

Some may think ignoring such attitudes is arrogant, I just feel children (cries and all) have as much right to be ANYWHERE as adults do and because they cannot defend such a right themselves, it is up to their parents to ensure it is done.

If baby cry annoys you, whether in an airplane or elsewhere, move away as far away from it as you can!!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 11:43 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Chipotle
If baby cry annoys you, whether in an airplane or elsewhere, move away as far away from it as you can!!
You know most people can't on a plane, so why even suggest it?
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:00 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
If you ever find yourself stuck on a plane next to a nursing mother, you might console yourself that she's breast feeding a member of her own species.
LMAO!
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

yodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant futureyodiyokun has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
You know most people can't on a plane, so why even suggest it?
then you may have to live with it....at least for a few hrs
Old Mar 7th 2006, 12:47 pm
Pinko lentil-hugger

Originally Posted by yodiyokun
then you may have to live with it....at least for a few hrs
Nobody is saying otherwise. Doesn't mean they have to like it, though.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 1:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmmm, screaming baby or breastfeeding mother.

I know which I would rather be stuck next to in a metal tube for 8 hours!

Give and take is right, and its possible to breast feed discreetly, so dont worry about that. If you are worried about it you could always pump ahead and just deliver by bottle, although our new one is very picky about what she will drink and how its delivered Our problem is one day its got to be bottle, and the next its gotta be boob

As others have said though, try not to give a rats ass about those without kids who are scowling, trust me, anyone who has had kids will be sympathetic, we have all been there! Shouldnt be hard not to give a shit as its amazing how as a new parent instinct takes over and the only thing that matters is juniors wellbeing and comfort.

Hopefully junior will sleep most of the time, I know ours is most content when moving in the car seat, so hopefully it will be OK. If its not then it will be a hellish 8 hours, but noone will die and life will go on as before. Ive a suspicion its an easier trip to make with a sleepy 8 week old than an antsy bored 3 year old

Im not going anywhere till they are at least 8

Last edited by iaink; Mar 7th 2006 at 1:50 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.