Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flying to AB - working in BC

Flying to AB - working in BC

Old Dec 31st 2008, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about
Default Flying to AB - working in BC

We are moving over to the Okanagan in March next year, coming over on a TWP whilst PNP application is going through.
I am looking at booking flights for the end of March. The best price is with Canadian Affair, however the flight from Gatwick to Vancouver is not direct and stops at Calgary. So I figure that we would be better off landing in Calgary and taking a internal flight to Kelowna.
Has anyone landed in a different province to the one that they intend to work? Will it cause complications, we will be travelling with our 3 and 4 year olds, so just want to make the journey and painless as possible!!!
Old Dec 31st 2008, 2:14 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flying to AB - working in BC

If your flight stops at Calgary (or anywhere else in Canada for that matter) en route to Vancouver, you will have to clear immigration at that point irrespective of where your ultimate destination is. So from a TWP/Landing perspective, the question is moot.

From a whats easiest with small children perspective, I'll leave others more qualified than I to comment!

AX
Old Dec 31st 2008, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Whether you land in Vancouver or Calgary you'll still need another flight to Kelowna. And it's the sme distance either way - give or take. Or you could drive.....

Wouldn't advise that as an intro to distance driving in Canada.
Old Dec 31st 2008, 7:52 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
Whether you land in Vancouver or Calgary you'll still need another flight to Kelowna. And it's the sme distance either way - give or take. Or you could drive.....

Wouldn't advise that as an intro to distance driving in Canada.
It is a 4 1/2 drive from Vancouver to Kelowna, pretty much all along freeways. In good weather it is a breeze.

In March you could easily run into a snowstorm on the Coquihalla or Connector summits and it is a driving nightmare. Not what you want after a long journey from the UK!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 1:27 pm
Banned

driverpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

Doesnt matter one bit, just explain what you are doing at Calgary airport, and you will not have a problem.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

That's 4 and 1/2 hour drive with kids, just after an international flight, driving out of the lower mainland on the wrong side of the road, and not knowing the directions.

It could end up a 10 hour nightmare.

And the hire company will probably not have 3 booster/child seats, and if they did they wouldn't all fit in the back of a car; you'ld have to get a van - if available - which would be much more expensive......

Last edited by triumphguy; Jan 1st 2009 at 3:12 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:21 pm
Banned

I flew to Edmonton in March then flew on to Abbotsford Airport BC straight after the Edmonton flight (Well after a brief visit to a friend in Edmonton) So i was awake for nearly 24 hours which i handled but did not like. If i were you, considering you have children, i would get a flight to Abbotsford then drive to Kelowna. But having said that i am not sure if you can fly to Abbotsford from Calgary as i did it from Edmonton, so look into that or see if you can fly to Edmonton instead of Calgary........

Hope this helps
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by driverpaul
I flew to Edmonton in March then flew on to Abbotsford Airport BC straight after the Edmonton flight (Well after a brief visit to a friend in Edmonton) So i was awake for nearly 24 hours which i handled but did not like. If i were you, considering you have children, i would get a flight to Abbotsford then drive to Kelowna. But having said that i am not sure if you can fly to Abbotsford from Calgary as i did it from Edmonton, so look into that or see if you can fly to Edmonton instead of Calgary........

Hope this helps
Why on earth would you suggest overflying Kelowna to Abbotsford and then drive for 3.5 hours back to Kelowna, when you can fly directly to Kelowna from Calgary or Edmonton?

WestJet operates four direct flights per day Calgary to Kelowna and Air Canada (Tango) operates three direct flights per day Calgary to Kelowna.

Depending what time the flight arrives in Calgary from the UK those internal flight connections will be reduced.

Air Canada does not operate any direct flights Edmonton to Kelowna and WestJet operates three direct Edmonton to Kelowna flights daily making Calgary the better bet for a connection.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Both airports have hotels attached, although we are a long way from booking yet, I've already decided we'll fly to Vancouver , stay overnight in the hotel there ( which is amazing- expensive, but you can get great deals on line and it would be a very special way to arrive in Canada!). We'll then drive to the Okanagan the next day, we'll drive rather than fly as we'll have a vast amount of luggage and a dog hopefully arriving after us. That's the plan anyway.
I don't know how good the hotel at Calgary airport is, but the Fairmont at Vancouver really is very nice and good with kids.
I wouldn't chance a connecting flight on the same day as a charter flight- we've been delayed with Thomas Cook before and others on the flight missed their connection. With 2 little ones, I'd definitely head for a bed and fly/ drive the next day.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have flown to Vancouver then driven to Salmon Arm (1 hour north of Kelowna) with kids....

Do yourself a favour! Fly don't drive.

It's probably $50 cheaper to fly to Calgary first.

Use that to get a taxi to where you're staying in Kelowna!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:59 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
Both airports have hotels attached, although we are a long way from booking yet, I've already decided we'll fly to Vancouver , stay overnight in the hotel there ( which is amazing- expensive, but you can get great deals on line and it would be a very special way to arrive in Canada!). We'll then drive to the Okanagan the next day, we'll drive rather than fly as we'll have a vast amount of luggage and a dog hopefully arriving after us. That's the plan anyway.
I don't know how good the hotel at Calgary airport is, but the Fairmont at Vancouver really is very nice and good with kids.
I wouldn't chance a connecting flight on the same day as a charter flight- we've been delayed with Thomas Cook before and others on the flight missed their connection. With 2 little ones, I'd definitely head for a bed and fly/ drive the next day.
This seems a good plan. Suggest you don't skimp on the rental vehicle, get a van with lots of room. If you have loads of baggage and a dog, weight on a domestic flight could be a problem and the drive can be a bit of an adventure. As you say, a connecting flight with a charter can be a bit of a gamble. Google map the journey, leave plenty of time and it should not be a problem. Unless you have done it before getting from YVR to highway 1can be a bit of a challenge. I use half a dozen routes into and out of the airport depending on time of day, but the simplest is get onto Marine Drive, to Brunette and then onto highway 1. In rush traffic this can take a while, but it is the most straight forward.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 3:52 pm
Banned

Well if you can fly to Kelowna then thats your best bet. I flew over Kelowna at night and it didnt seem far from Abbotsford. I had a feeling you can fly direct to Kelowna from either Ed or Cal i think it is a bigger town than Abbotsford. But if i am wrong i'm sure Prarie Dawg will correct me!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:30 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
This seems a good plan. Suggest you don't skimp on the rental vehicle, get a van with lots of room. If you have loads of baggage and a dog, weight on a domestic flight could be a problem and the drive can be a bit of an adventure. As you say, a connecting flight with a charter can be a bit of a gamble. Google map the journey, leave plenty of time and it should not be a problem. Unless you have done it before getting from YVR to highway 1can be a bit of a challenge. I use half a dozen routes into and out of the airport depending on time of day, but the simplest is get onto Marine Drive, to Brunette and then onto highway 1. In rush traffic this can take a while, but it is the most straight forward.
I agree about the van and I would insist on winter tires or snow chains. Check the state of the roads before you head out. It can be fine and clear in March, but I've also driven through a whiteout on 97C in the middle of May. You can get road information here.

As The Aviator says, there are many routes from YVR to Hwy1. If you are traveling after 9.00 am on a weekday or at the weekend (when the Massey tunnel is open for two lanes southbound) then I think the following is easier (less city traffic) and possibly quicker:

Drive out of the airport and the road divides: left towards Vancouver and right signposted Hwy99 Seattle. Follow to the right towards Seattle and keep on the freeway and go through the Massey tunnel. About 6-7 kms after the tunnel take the Hwy 10 exit and turn back over the freeway towards Surrey and Hope. Keep on Hwy 10 through Surrey into Langley. The road bypasses the centre of Langley. Turn left onto Glover Road at the end of the commercial area and follow the signs to Hwy 1.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

thesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura aboutthesidds has a spectacular aura about

Thanks for all your replies and advice
I think that we will probably fly to Calgary - stop over in an airport hotel then get an internal flight to Kelowna the following morning!!
Am I just being paranoined, thinking that we will have a problem with immigration because we a landing in Alberta but then working in BC
We have LMO's, job offer letters and TWP approval letters from CIC.
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 2:12 pm
Banned

I had a job offer in Edmonton in March 08. I flew into Edmonton cleared the Immigration there. I then had to meet with someone to see my apartment in Ed and then flew onto see family near Langley. I think whatever airport you fly into they can issue you your visa, as long as you have all your documentation, i don't foresee you having any problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.