Reload this Page >

Fly sprays....which ones work??

Fly sprays....which ones work??

Old Jun 11th 2004, 1:45 pm
mickj

By the time this thread ends, you guys are going to become BIOCHEMISTS

Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fly sprays....which ones work??

Originally posted by Lothianlad
Nothing you have can be worse than the midges in the Highlands of Scotland....this is the time of year they eat you alive. When it's warm and humid like it is now (well, it's like that down here in Leeds) they are evil b******s.
Sorry to say that the mozzies here ARE worse in a couple of respects. They seem far more aggressive for starters, second they can carry west nile disease, which is no fun for kids or oldies, and thirdly it seems they really like brits, and the bites seem to come up as big lumps on most of the foreigners, presumably because they havent been exposed as kids and built up the necessary antibodies or whatever to deal with them. Thats before we even get into black fly, deer fly and "no-see-ums"!

DEET is the only thing that really works, it stops them biting, but they are still really iritating as they still buzz around you. Everyone will just have to weigh up the risk of the Deet against the risk of the bites.

My personal choice is Off Skintastic, good enough to keep them away while golfing, doesnt smell to bad and goes on easy from the pump bottle. If I am stuck in the woods I use the "Deep Woods" Off, which is pretty nasty and pungent, but is enough of a life saver that I always have a small bottle in my bike saddle bag incase of a flat.

http://www.mosquitoes.com/off_skintastic.asp#

http://www.mosquitoes.com/off_sportspump.asp

I got a "skeeter vac", which catches hundreds of the very young ones every day, but not nearly enough to make the yard bug free. Maybe given enough time it will make an impact, the jury is still out.

Iain

Last edited by iaink; Jun 11th 2004 at 2:22 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 2:56 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fly sprays....which ones work??

Originally posted by dbark
OK, I modify my statement from "highly" to "moderately" toxic. The New Scientist website agrees, saying that the US Environmental Protection Agency classifies DEET as moderately toxic.

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99991199

The incident data in the DEET re-registration eligibility decision by the EPA shows that DEET use is related to seizures in children.

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/0002red.pdf (page 22 of the RED, page 34 of the PDF file.)
The most common base in spray insect repellants is DEET. When reading the directions on the spray bottles you should note that the manufacturers suggest that the spray not come in contact with human skin, eyes, nose or mouth! Harmful if swallowed! Using toxic pesticides is a personal decision that each person and family member must make based on warning labels that identify potential hazards based on the product being used.

http://www.ticktape.com/Page2m.htm

Ultimately it is everyone's individual choice whether to use toxic chemicals on themselves and their children. I was stating my personal belief that I would not use DEET on children unless in extreme circumstances, and certainly not on a regular basis.
A few important quotes from the EPA regarding DEET:

1) “The EPA believes it does not present a health concern to the general US population�.
2) “The observed incidence of recognized seizures is about one per 100 million users�.
3) “Empirical testing does not demonstrate significant human toxicity to DEET�.
4) “The available data do not support a direct link between exposure to DEET and reported seizure incidences (14 cases)�.

http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/REDs/0002red.pdf

No where does the EPA or the manufacturers of DEET suggest that DEET not be applied to the skin (unless skin is abnormal)! They suggest that DEET not be applied to the hands of children because it may end up in the mouth or eyes. No where does the EPA classify DEET as “moderately toxic�, and quoting another source that misquoted the EPA does not make it so.

No where does the EPA state that re-registration of DEET has anything to do what so ever with seizures in children. The purpose of re-registration only regards statements by some manufactures that suggest concentrations of DEET of 15% or lower are safer for children than products with higher concentrations - there is no proof to make that claim. In other words, the EPA is saying that products containing 95% DEET may be just as safe as products containing 10% DEET for children. Not that claiming on the label that any DEET product is safe for children is legal.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jun 11th 2004 at 3:26 pm.
Old Jun 11th 2004, 3:16 pm
mickj

Hmmmmm.....I don't like the sound of this, and where it's heading. Let's all pause for a minute here, and think about the neighbours, and not just ourselves. Someone next door might be allergic to some of the stuffs in these things.

I know I have been getting a blocked nose lately, due to things in the air. What happened to good ole RAID? That use to work a treat back in the days !

Old Jun 11th 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

A blocked nose........I bet it is the pollen you are allergic to!
Old Jun 11th 2004, 7:45 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

West Nile...vs ....DEET

And my kid will get DEET the risk is lower than the West Nile and other related mosquito borne infections.

Ohh… and having climbed the mountains of Scotland and camped in northern Ontario… the Scottish bugs are wimps compared to a full blooded northern Ontario mosquito
Old Jun 11th 2004, 8:39 pm
mickj

Ah.....but you haven't climed Kilimanjaro ! Are you up for a bout with the african mosquito then, they are more deadlier than the ones in northen ontario? No amount of DEET will quench those ones.

Originally posted by MikeUK
West Nile...vs ....DEET

And my kid will get DEET the risk is lower than the West Nile and other related mosquito borne infections.

Ohh… and having climbed the mountains of Scotland and camped in northern Ontario… the Scottish bugs are wimps compared to a full blooded northern Ontario mosquito

Last edited by mickj; Jun 11th 2004 at 8:45 pm.

Old Jun 12th 2004, 12:05 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by mickj
Ah.....but you haven't climed Kilimanjaro ! Are you up for a bout with the african mosquito then, they are more deadlier than the ones in northen ontario? No amount of DEET will quench those ones.
Well I'm not climbing it then....

I've got plenty to go at over in BC now....
Old Jun 12th 2004, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dr. Who is an unknown quantity at this point

Also consider wearing white - dark colours tend to attract the bugs.

But when out in the woods, more important than bug spray, don't forget the bear spray! I find the bear's bite worse than the mosquito or even blackfly, and as they weigh in at about 500lbs and can run at 30mph, it is good to have someting to keep them away. The spray works like an industrial strength mace - just spray it at the bear if they charge at you - I am not sure if it works so well but I am sure you woulkd get a refund if it did not.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 4:48 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Dr. Who

But when out in the woods, more important than bug spray, don't forget the bear spray! I find the bear's bite worse than the mosquito or even blackfly, and as they weigh in at about 500lbs and can run at 30mph, it is good to have someting to keep them away. The spray works like an industrial strength mace - just spray it at the bear if they charge at you - I am not sure if it works so well but I am sure you woulkd get a refund if it did not.
In six years in Ontario I have seen 2 bears, and both times the bear was as anxious to get out of my way as I was to get out if its. On the other hand I have seen countless millions of mosquitos, and they seemed very anxious to make my aquantaince! I am told that the best defence against a bear is a 45!! I dont think you want to pussy foot around an agressive bear with pepper spray, so if you are really worried, carry a handgun and learn how to use it.

Good tip about the colours though.

Iain
Old Jun 12th 2004, 6:16 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by Dr. Who

Are you sure that a black bear wouldn't just grab your bottle of cayenne pepper and spray it all over you (to make you a little less bland) before it eats you?

My bear medicine is a .416 Weatherby Magnum.
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Dr. Who is an unknown quantity at this point

You guys are right of course - a colt 45 will do the job nicely and whatever you want to load those .416 Weatherby Magnum rounds into will stop just about anything! Trouble is - carrying a handgun is illegal in Canada (unless it is in locked box and you are going to or from the range) and a rifle is illegal in most places people hike.

On a more serious note - I agree with iaink that most Black/Brown bears will run when they see you - they will also do this even if they have cubs - and one is actually lucky to get to see one. The Grizzly on the other hand - is a different matter - but I don't often hike on the west Coast. But even in Ontario where I do hike, rouge Black bears have been known to attack - so just in case I carry my can of spray which only weights a few ounces (lighter than a .45) and it gives me comfort - even if that comfort is knowing I will taste better when the bear gulps me down
Old Jun 12th 2004, 9:53 pm
mañana is my busiest day

One more thing about black bears. If you ever see a black bear in the woods that doesn't run away from you (98% of the time they will), but instead begins to follow you, that is a sure sign it would like to make a meal out of you. That is definitely predatory behavior in a black bear.

By the way, I took two very large black bears in northern Alberta with my .416 Weatherby Magnum. When they saw me with that cannon, both bears shit themselves.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Jun 12th 2004 at 10:00 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2004, 5:56 pm
dealing with it

Chopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really niceChopper-Chris is just really nice

http://www.snopes.com/spoons/oldwives/skeeters.htm

interesting
Old Jun 14th 2004, 7:32 pm
Part Time Poster

Dealing with black bears is really easy..

Carry your food or some food in the top of your rucksac...

if the bear follows you , just pull out the food, and drop it....

No Black bear will pass on a free meal...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.