Flights to NS

Old Jun 16th 2012, 1:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flights to NS

Hi All,
Have just been looking at the costs of flying to NS from various airlines you dont seem to get much change from 800 .
When I last looked about 8 months ago on average prices were around 500 pounds,quite a considerable jump in such a short time.
My question being is,as I am having to travel back and forth to the uk once every 35 days ,what route would work out cheaper ie flying direct to NS or if possible flying into the US and then onto NS.
Or flying into Toronto then onto NS ,or booking well in advance or waiting for last minute deals,dodgy I know.
I am just trying to find a more cost effective way to fly over and save a few pennies one way or another,or would I be better sticking to the likes of BA or AC and collecting airmiles or some such incentive scheme they may offer.
I only intend to do this for a couple years ,to make sure that we have made the right decision and then I would start looking for a job over by.
PS I would be flying from Scotland.

Best Regards
Arty & Family
Old Jun 16th 2012, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to NS

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi All,
Have just been looking at the costs of flying to NS from various airlines you dont seem to get much change from 800 .
When I last looked about 8 months ago on average prices were around 500 pounds,quite a considerable jump in such a short time.
My question being is,as I am having to travel back and forth to the uk once every 35 days ,what route would work out cheaper ie flying direct to NS or if possible flying into the US and then onto NS.
Or flying into Toronto then onto NS ,or booking well in advance or waiting for last minute deals,dodgy I know.
I am just trying to find a more cost effective way to fly over and save a few pennies one way or another,or would I be better sticking to the likes of BA or AC and collecting airmiles or some such incentive scheme they may offer.
I only intend to do this for a couple years ,to make sure that we have made the right decision and then I would start looking for a job over by.
PS I would be flying from Scotland.

Best Regards
Arty & Family
From Halifax to Toronto return was $700 when I flew in Feb which I would have thought was a cheap time of year. Then I flew from Toronto to Gatwick which was about 300GBP. It took me 24hrs door to door!
Air Transat only flies from May to Oct from Halifax which makes it harder the rest of the year.
Haven't tried through US maybe it's an option...
Old Jun 16th 2012, 6:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi DandNHill,
thanks for the reply( 24 hours ) that is a sore one ,the best I have managed to price is £720 with BA flying to London then over to Halifax .
Just wish a Flyglobespan or Zoom would appear on the horizon from what I gather they were always full and made money ,unfortunately they got stung by some Credit Card clearing company.
Cheers Again
Arty & Family
Old Jun 17th 2012, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi All,
have found a couple of better options flying from Edinburgh with Icelandic Air at around 520 pounds and also with BA again around 520 give or take a few quid.Unfortunately the first one comes in at 6 hours and 20 odd minutes and the second 10 hours,each one has one stop off.
Arty & Family

Last edited by Arty; Jun 17th 2012 at 4:38 pm. Reason: Missed the Edinburgh part
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
have found a couple of better options flying from Edinburgh with Icelandic Air at around 520 pounds and also with BA again around 520 give or take a few quid.Unfortunately the first one comes in at 6 hours and 20 odd minutes and the second 10 hours,each one has one stop off.
Arty & Family
10 hours?? Yuck!! I know which one I'd go for!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

The 6 hour one is the way to go,unfortunately some times it will work for us and now and again the 10 hour one is the only option.

ns better be worth it.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:45 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

The 6 hour one is the way to go,unfortunately some times it will work for us and now and again the 10 hour one is the only option.

ns better be worth it.
It will be! When are you heading out, are you coming for visit or waiting for pr? Beers on the deck need to be scheduled
Old Jun 18th 2012, 3:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
It will be! When are you heading out, are you coming for visit or waiting for pr? Beers on the deck need to be scheduled
Hi Nikki,
coming over for a visit hopefully around Oct we dont want to activate (if and when we get our PR)till the last possible minute .This is because of the 5 year rule and with me coming and going for the first couple of years I do not want to lose anymore days than I have too.
Sounds good for the beers,,hope you and the gang are doing well and look forward to meeting you again.

cheers
Arty & Family
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

bdmceng is an unknown quantity at this point

Not long back from our Recce to NS, the contents of which will put up as a thread later. We flew Edinburgh-Heathrow-Halifax, dates and times of our choosing, 600quid each. varying dates a day either way made little cost difference (lowest was about 560). Booked through travel up website, combination of BA / AC /BMi. BA & AC were good! Have friends who travel often through US to NS (Newark) and said US customs were such a nightmare that the Heathrow option would be preffered or somewhere else in Canada, although internal flying in Canada seems pricey.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bdmceng
Not long back from our Recce to NS, the contents of which will put up as a thread later. We flew Edinburgh-Heathrow-Halifax, dates and times of our choosing, 600quid each. varying dates a day either way made little cost difference (lowest was about 560). Booked through travel up website, combination of BA / AC /BMi. BA & AC were good! Have friends who travel often through US to NS (Newark) and said US customs were such a nightmare that the Heathrow option would be preffered or somewhere else in Canada, although internal flying in Canada seems pricey.
Hi,
Many thanks for your reply,looks like Edinburgh is the way to go.Just wish we could get direct flights from Scotland,not so much to save money(which would be nice)but cutting down on travel time:].
Again thanks for your detailed reply.

Arty&co
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

zippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nicezippy666 is just really nice

Just to say we flew from NS to Man with Icelandair in March, and have to say the service was exceptional. Even with the stop in Iceland it was a really good flight with roomy seats and great staff - plus the bonus is plenty of baggage allowance, also if you are able to book a couple of months in advance the price is really good.

Not sure if this helps but just thought younshould know that the Air Iceland flights are well worth it.

Good Luck
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by zippy666
Just to say we flew from NS to Man with Icelandair in March, and have to say the service was exceptional. Even with the stop in Iceland it was a really good flight with roomy seats and great staff - plus the bonus is plenty of baggage allowance, also if you are able to book a couple of months in advance the price is really good.

Not sure if this helps but just thought younshould know that the Air Iceland flights are well worth it.

Good Luck
Hi Zippy666,
thanks for the info

Arty & Family
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:21 pm
active again

amherstburgmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Iceland has some good deals to and from Glasgow at the moment. Sometimes catch a deal on AC direct to/from Heathrow. Don't go via the US - life's too short.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by amherstburgmac
Iceland has some good deals to and from Glasgow at the moment. Sometimes catch a deal on AC direct to/from Heathrow. Don't go via the US - life's too short.
hi there,
Iceland do have some good deals:-)
As you say life is too short,without having to go thru all the hassles with American border control.
Cheers
Arty & Family