Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights to Calgary

Flights to Calgary

Old Oct 29th 2007, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Parris is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights to Calgary

Wanting to come out for Xmas has anyone seen any company offering any bargain flights or hotel/apartments for this time?

Thank-you
Tanya (Parris OH)
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights to Calgary

Originally Posted by Parris
Wanting to come out for Xmas has anyone seen any company offering any bargain flights or hotel/apartments for this time?

Thank-you
Tanya (Parris OH)
Hi Tanya

Did you try Zoom with the Muchmor discount code MM2007ZA - think you get 20% off

Gaynor
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:18 pm
Forum Regular

redrosed is an unknown quantity at this point

I was searching for flights in Jan, found Canadian Affair (Monarch airline) to be cheapest. Also Air Canada had some deals if you didnt have set dates?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:33 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure why you want to come to Calgary for Christmas. It's the city of the living dead during the holidays. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. But it's a period during which people spend time with their families in Calgary, go off to the mountains for skiing or fly to a tropical location to catch some sun.

Schools are closed for two weeks over Christmas / New Year, and quite a few companies shut down between Christmas and New Year too. It's an abysmal time to do a recce trip. You won't be able to view schools while they're in session, and it'll be pretty darn difficult to arrange any job interviews.

If you want to visit Alberta for skiing, that's a different matter altogether. It's a great time to do that. But in that case you would be better off heading to Banff or some such place. Of course you still would need to fly into Calgary, as it is the gateway airport for Banff, Lake Louise, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Panorama, et al.

But, since the Christmas / New Year period is high season for the ski resorts, there are no bargains to be had -- certainly none that I know of.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 3:57 pm
KJM
BE Enthusiast

KJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to allKJM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by redrosed
I was searching for flights in Jan, found Canadian Affair (Monarch airline) to be cheapest. Also Air Canada had some deals if you didnt have set dates?
We booked flights only week ago to Calgary and Zoom was the cheapest and that was Sat - Sat aw well.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 4:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by redrosed
We're using Canadian Affair over Christmas too. They were the cheapest by quite a bit. We'll be flying out (Calgary to Manchester) on Monarch in Dec and returning in Jan on Air Transat. I'm glad it's worked out that way around as I've since heard that Monarch pilots have a thing about landing in snow - not sure how true that is - but anyway, I'm glad they're not the ones we've got for the return leg!
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by AlexInBC
We're using Canadian Affair over Christmas too. They were the cheapest by quite a bit. We'll be flying out (Calgary to Manchester) on Monarch in Dec and returning in Jan on Air Transat. I'm glad it's worked out that way around as I've since heard that Monarch pilots have a thing about landing in snow - not sure how true that is - but anyway, I'm glad they're not the ones we've got for the return leg!
Thanks for all the info will check it all out.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
Not sure why you want to come to Calgary for Christmas. It's the city of the living dead during the holidays. Well, that's a bit of an exaggeration. But it's a period during which people spend time with their families in Calgary, go off to the mountains for skiing or fly to a tropical location to catch some sun.

Schools are closed for two weeks over Christmas / New Year, and quite a few companies shut down between Christmas and New Year too. It's an abysmal time to do a recce trip. You won't be able to view schools while they're in session, and it'll be pretty darn difficult to arrange any job interviews.

If you want to visit Alberta for skiing, that's a different matter altogether. It's a great time to do that. But in that case you would be better off heading to Banff or some such place. Of course you still would need to fly into Calgary, as it is the gateway airport for Banff, Lake Louise, Fernie, Kicking Horse, Panorama, et al.

But, since the Christmas / New Year period is high season for the ski resorts, there are no bargains to be had -- certainly none that I know of.
Have to go at this time unfort' OH in R.Marines and can't get any other time off during the year!! Have had years of it am use to it now!

Thanks for you info.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by burton bunch
Hi Tanya

Did you try Zoom with the Muchmor discount code MM2007ZA - think you get 20% off

Gaynor
Thanks for that code really helpful.