Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flights booked dogs coming too?

Flights booked dogs coming too?

Old Apr 7th 2013, 10:43 pm
Forum Regular

cushdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights booked dogs coming too?

Sorry if its been said before people but I just wanna make sure I get everything 100% right and have no hiccups,

Basically I am flying to Calgary may 18th alone booked single flight with CAnadian Affair. That's the simple part.

And now I have just booked my partners flight who's coming out a week later and she will be travelling with our shih tzu dog which will have a pet passport and vaccinated for rabies next week.

Now I rung air transat and they said all I do is call them with the flight details and pay the £180 and then they confirm by sending me an email with confirmation. So basically all my partner does it take the dog with her to Gatwick to check in and they take the dog and the confirmation booking with air transat letter? Obviously the dog will be in a vari kennel, but is it as easy as that? Also when she arrives in Calgary are there any specific things she has to do?

We are both British citizens with seperate lmo's.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flights booked dogs coming too?

Before Dog leaves you partner needs to take the animal to a vet to get a fit to travel letter / certificate - this should be no more than 48 hours before travel. We are doing ours the day before.

Also the dog should be listed on the Goods accompanying list, I put the name of dog, the breed, colour and microchip number (just for safety.) This allows animal to enter tax free.

Once you collect dog, it will need an examination, they will charge for this and then hopefully it will be plan sailing !
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
Before Dog leaves you partner needs to take the animal to a vet to get a fit to travel letter / certificate - this should be no more than 48 hours before travel. We are doing ours the day before.

Also the dog should be listed on the Goods accompanying list, I put the name of dog, the breed, colour and microchip number (just for safety.) This allows animal to enter tax free.

Once you collect dog, it will need an examination, they will charge for this and then hopefully it will be plan sailing !
Really? By whom and for what? Our dogs were not examined by anyone.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

London-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond reputeLondon-England-Lads has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Both ours were by a vet authorised by Canadian immigration, there was a $30 or so fee and it was just to say they were healthy to enter Canada. All happened at Pearson.
Old Apr 7th 2013, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Info is her under Canada and regulations.

One of the last mentioned.

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/gamme...voyageur&id=20

Same with all airlines.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:05 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of taking our cat and dog via airtransat from Manchester to Vancouver. Could the OP or London-England Lads confirm the cost per animal ?

I understand it is 275 dollars per animal?, both animals would need to be in Vari Kennels and therefore any specific Vari Kennels?

Do the Animals go as excess baggage or cargo and therefore do they get picked up int the terminal or from customs?

What additional fees are the on top of the 275 dollars, IE 30 dollar fee in Canada when you pick up the animals?

Do you know how much the fee is for the vet fit to fly cert?

Also do you just book your flight and then ring with your flight number and book the animals on?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Q:I was thinking of taking our cat and dog via airtransat from Manchester to Vancouver. Could the OP or London-England Lads confirm the cost per animal ? I believe it is still £180.00

both animals would need to be in Vari Kennels and therefore any specific Vari Kennels? We got ours from PETS AT HOMES- as long as it is IATA approved. The full description of kennel requirements are listed in the previous link.

Do the Animals go as excess baggage or cargo and therefore do they get picked up int the terminal or from customs?They go in cargo- can't remember where we picked them up, it was i believe in oversize luggage area

What additional fees are the on top of the 275 dollars, IE 30 dollar fee in Canada when you pick up the animals?Cost of getting animal to where you are staying and in Ontario, you need a dog licence.

Do you know how much the fee is for the vet fit to fly cert? I think each vet varies

Also do you just book your flight and then ring with your flight number and book the animals on?[/QUOTE] We checked flight first on net and when we knew there was availability - we then called air transat, checked availability to transfer dog. They can take four on each flight, we then booked flight and rung Air transat back straight away and they arrange the dog's ticket.

This is how I remember it all ? all though it was 4 years ago. We head back to Toronto in a few weeks and this is also what we are expecting !

R
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:33 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London-England-Lads
Q:I was thinking of taking our cat and dog via airtransat from Manchester to Vancouver. Could the OP or London-England Lads confirm the cost per animal ? I believe it is still £180.00

both animals would need to be in Vari Kennels and therefore any specific Vari Kennels? We got ours from PETS AT HOMES- as long as it is IATA approved. The full description of kennel requirements are listed in the previous link.

Do the Animals go as excess baggage or cargo and therefore do they get picked up int the terminal or from customs?They go in cargo- can't remember where we picked them up, it was i believe in oversize luggage area

What additional fees are the on top of the 275 dollars, IE 30 dollar fee in Canada when you pick up the animals?Cost of getting animal to where you are staying and in Ontario, you need a dog licence.

Do you know how much the fee is for the vet fit to fly cert? I think each vet varies

Also do you just book your flight and then ring with your flight number and book the animals on?
We checked flight first on net and when we knew there was availability - we then called air transat, checked availability to transfer dog. They can take four on each flight, we then booked flight and rung Air transat back straight away and they arrange the dog's ticket.

This is how I remember it all ? all though it was 4 years ago. We head back to Toronto in a few weeks and this is also what we are expecting !

R[/QUOTE]

Thanks very much hope all goes well for you second time around
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

No problems - do found Air Transat to be very helpful !
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the price depends on the size of the dog...

Also you don't drop the dog off at check in at Gatwick unless its changed. You have to go to cargo in north terminal. They need checking in earlier than humans too...
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond reputeBucks_Family has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Don't forget the price depends on the size of the dog...

Also you don't drop the dog off at check in at Gatwick unless its changed. You have to go to cargo in north terminal. They need checking in earlier than humans too...
This doesn't apply now, if it did before. I asked this question specifically to the Air Transat guy when I booked my larger dog's flight. He confirmed the weight of the dog plus their crate does not matter.
And I was told to take our dogs to check-in and present the emailed confirmation letter I've been sent by Air Transat.

It was a surprise to me too.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bucks_Family
This doesn't apply now, if it did before. I asked this question specifically to the Air Transat guy when I booked my larger dog's flight. He confirmed the weight of the dog plus their crate does not matter.
And I was told to take our dogs to check-in and present the emailed confirmation letter I've been sent by Air Transat.

It was a surprise to me too.
I have been told the same.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Mine neither
Stef
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Mine neither
Stef
i was told that an examination would only take place in the event that the animal was or appeared to be ill.
Mine was not examined and she flew into Toronto then on to Windsor Ontario. i had to pay a handling fee of around $50 if I remember correctly, but this was not for a vet exam
stef
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
i was told that an examination would only take place in the event that the animal was or appeared to be ill.
Mine was not examined and she flew into Toronto then on to Windsor Ontario. i had to pay a handling fee of around $50 if I remember correctly, but this was not for a vet exam
stef
Also I was told that if a rabies jab had not been administered prior to departure, that a vet at destination would administer one and you would be charged for that.

DO REMEMBER TO ATTACH Original docs in a clear envelope to the outside of the vari kennel and take photocopies with you, in case they come off during the flight.
Stef

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.