Reload this Page >

Flights Airports, Accomodation general advice

Flights Airports, Accomodation general advice

Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

iec2014 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flights Airports, Accomodation general advice

Hello all,

I am heading to Canada on a working/holiday in May and have a few questions to ask prior to booking my flight.

I have decided to go to Toronto, and was hoping to find out where would best suit a sociable 20something that is open to all types of work?
Here is some (hopefully) useful information about me.

I would like to live close to the "action" being from a City and enjoying all that comes with it noise, pollution, traffic haha
I don't mind if I am not in the centre of it all but would prefer not to be too far away(assuming that work will be in close proximity or at least close to a good source of transport)
If living in the city centre is going to cost considerable more then of course I would happily consider living on the outskirts.

I drive here in the UK and have done for many years and I would love nothing more than to have a car whilst living in Canada but I am not sure if from a financial perspective getting a car would be feasible.
I guess these are the things that I would need to look into once I am settled.
With regards to work I am open to doing most jobs, preferably jobs that involves meeting people i.e. bartending, waitressing...pretty much anything involving social interaction
I have been an administrator for years doing a 9-5 and although I would never rule this out, I would much prefer to do one of the above jobs.
I enjoy going to bars, clubs, live music, comedy shows, the gym, the beach, live events, the list goes on basically anywhere that has large crowds of people and a great atmosphere.
I am aware that this is starting to sound like an add on dating site...although
figured the more information I can provide the better

So just to clarify, nothing is set in stone, other than the fact that I am going to Canada.

I would preferably like to live in a shared house with 2 or more people.
What legit room mate sites can you recommend? Or other sites to join to get an idea of prices and contact details of potential roommates?
My initial plan is to book into a hostel for a couple of weeks and with all of the above in mind, where would you recommend?
I figure this would be the best option whilst getting to know the people/areas/job location.

I would be very grateful for any information regarding my plans, and I really am open to suggestions on all of the above.
I would like to point out that this forums members/moderators have been so helpful in providing information even before obtaining a working/holiday visa, so I thought I would ask for help with planning now that I am ready to head to Canada.

Thank you for all of your help so far and I look forward to hearing all suggestions.
If you need any more information or you are also in a similar boat to me and would like to search together, send me a PM or reply on here.
Old Jan 28th 2014, 11:24 pm
Forum Regular

mudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the roughmudcat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Flights Airports, Accomodation general advice

Hi,

You might enjoy somewhere like The Annex in Toronto if you want to be close to the action, live the inner city lifestyle, and able to get around on public transport. Have a look on hostleworld.com for hostels, these can be a great way to meet potential roomies and get a taste of the city before doing so. Padmapper.com is a good site for accommodation.

Car ownership is pretty expensive here and not required on a daily basis if you live/work downtown. I would look at car2go.com for short rentals and just use a normal car hire company if you want to get out of the city for a weekend.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 10:23 am
Forum Regular

Jmboot is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I went to BC in 2008 and made it up as I went along. I wouldn't try to plan everything as you can end up missing out on some great experiences.

I'm hoping to be going again in March and I'll be taking the same approach, I have a rough idea where I'm going, I've researched the housing market a little so I have somewhere to stay, but that's about it.

If you are going to spend a few weeks in a hostel(s) join Hosteling International (you'll get a cheaper rate after a small membership fee) and you might end up meeting some nice folk going through the same experience as yourself. I flew into Van, stayed in a hostel and met two guys, caught the bus to Whistler and met another two in the hostel on the lake and we got a shared house for the summer.

Edit: Some hostels have a maximum stay period, so keep an eye out for that.

You can't plan to meet interesting people and it's the people that'll make the trip special Best of luck!

Jason
Old Jan 30th 2014, 5:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mudcat
Hi,

You might enjoy somewhere like The Annex in Toronto if you want to be close to the action, live the inner city lifestyle, and able to get around on public transport. Have a look on hostleworld.com for hostels, these can be a great way to meet potential roomies and get a taste of the city before doing so. Padmapper.com is a good site for accommodation.

Car ownership is pretty expensive here and not required on a daily basis if you live/work downtown. I would look at car2go.com for short rentals and just use a normal car hire company if you want to get out of the city for a weekend.
Hi mudcat

Thanks for the detailed reply!
I will be sure to check out those hostel/accommodation sites to see what I could book within the area.
The idea of hiring a car for weekends/road trips makes sense, especially if the public transport is frequent.

The Annex definitely sounds great for what I am looking for in terms of location and things to do in the area, I did a bit of research and it say's it's a friendly area with lots of students...just what I was looking for

I am keen to meet people and I guess at the moment my trip is a blank canvass, it is nice to have some idea of where I am heading so that I can start looking now rather then when I get there.

As soon as I book my flight and have my arrival date, having my first few weeks planned will take the pressure off, because unless I can arrange something prior to arriving, I will need to job hunt fairly soon to avoid eating into my savings early on

Thanks again!
Your input has been really helpful.

Last edited by iec2014; Jan 30th 2014 at 6:04 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2014, 6:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jmboot
Hi,

I went to BC in 2008 and made it up as I went along. I wouldn't try to plan everything as you can end up missing out on some great experiences.

I'm hoping to be going again in March and I'll be taking the same approach, I have a rough idea where I'm going, I've researched the housing market a little so I have somewhere to stay, but that's about it.

If you are going to spend a few weeks in a hostel(s) join Hosteling International (you'll get a cheaper rate after a small membership fee) and you might end up meeting some nice folk going through the same experience as yourself. I flew into Van, stayed in a hostel and met two guys, caught the bus to Whistler and met another two in the hostel on the lake and we got a shared house for the summer.

Edit: Some hostels have a maximum stay period, so keep an eye out for that.

You can't plan to meet interesting people and it's the people that'll make the trip special Best of luck!

Jason
Hi Jason

Thank you for the reply!
I will definitely be looking on the sites that you have mentioned, and I totally agree with everything you said regarding planning, meeting interesting people and I have always had the attitude of just "going with the flow" and plan as I go along...which has been great, and I have met some amazing people along the way.

It has made my travel exciting and I am a big fan of spontaneity but as I am older and wiser(...I think ) since then, I would like to not feel too pressured when I arrive.
I think my main concern is having a place to stay and taking it from there.

And even though I am not new to travel, I am new to making long-term travel plans haha!
In the past I have saved travelled and saved travelled some more, but this time it is a case of save, work and travel a bit.
I have travelled for a few months at a time headed back to the UK, but never had to think about a year or 2 in the same country and making it my temporary home.

I really appreciate your reply and I am glad that I now have somewhere to start.
Thanks again
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

Can anyone give me any pointers on flights from Birmingham to Toronto?
Maybe if you could let me know when it's cheapest to fly ie time of year, days of the week etc.
I have to leave in May and have found a flight with Aer Lingus via Dublin, but wanted to see if there was another way that might be better value.
Also if there are any good voucher sites that may be useful.
Very grateful for any help.
Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:09 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iec2014
Can anyone give me any pointers on flights from Birmingham to Toronto?
Maybe if you could let me know when it's cheapest to fly ie time of year, days of the week etc.
I have to leave in May and have found a flight with Aer Lingus via Dublin, but wanted to see if there was another way that might be better value.
Have you not tried a website like Skyscanner? Then you can search for the cheapest day over a whole year if you want!
Old Feb 2nd 2014, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Have you not tried a website like Skyscanner? Then you can search for the cheapest day over a whole year if you want!
Hi Christmasoompa, thanks for the fast response!

I have tried Skyscanner and I found a flight, however every time I went through to booking it kept giving me and error and the price kept increasing.
I did a search for the entire month, but wasn't aware that it was possible for a whole year?!

if I go onto Aer Lingus' website it gives me that flight for £200 more than Skyscanner.
Am I missing something? is airport tax going to add on that much?
Thanks again I appreciate the help
Old Feb 3rd 2014, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

I can't believe I missed the whole year search button haha!
I think all of this planning is frying my brain
Opodo seems to be bringing up a reasonable search.