Flight prices

Old Jan 4th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flight prices

Hi All,
we are 4 months away from flying to Halifax Nova Scotia,to activate our PR.We intend to stay for one week and then fly back to old blighty and consider our next move,which should be us coming over for good around Sept.
After looking for flights from Glasgow ,Edinburgh,Manchester to the above destination the best prices we are getting come in at around £760 upwardsSome with more than 3 stops each way
On that note does anyone recommend holding off booking hoping that the prices come down or have we missed that plane .

Cheers
Arty & Family
Old Jan 5th 2013, 1:12 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flight prices

On Air Canada (Multi City) Try adding in a US City eg NYC or Boston this usually saves a chunk off the trip. My daughter is flying out soon London - NYC (via Toronto) - Halifax - London approx 510 pounds sterling as opposed to 795 pounds for a London - Halifax return plus she gets a day shopping in NYC The prices don't usually drop if you leave it late....if anything they go up from my experience,
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:04 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

If you hang on til may Canadian affair are good prices, they have 10% off deal till end of jan. only 1direct flight a week and From gatwick but may still work out cheaper

You can look up and book flights now.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
If you hang on til may Canadian affair are good prices, they have 10% off deal till end of jan. only 1direct flight a week and From gatwick but may still work out cheaper

You can look up and book flights now.
Hi nikki,
We did consider Canadian Affair in May I think they quoted us around £450 each, great price but with Mhairi sitting her Uni exams and Lewis doing his standard Grades it was a no no.
Cheers
Arty & Family
Old Jan 5th 2013, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jimmydean
On Air Canada (Multi City) Try adding in a US City eg NYC or Boston this usually saves a chunk off the trip. My daughter is flying out soon London - NYC (via Toronto) - Halifax - London approx 510 pounds sterling as opposed to 795 pounds for a London - Halifax return plus she gets a day shopping in NYC The prices don't usually drop if you leave it late....if anything they go up from my experience,
Hi jimmydean ,
will give this a go.
Cheers
Arty & Family
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

i would agree with jimmydean, had a few travel agents book me tickets like this before, it works out cheaper, i guess it has to do with the passenger duty for the airport your flying from and to.

i book tickets and the last leg of the ticket is sometimes a heathrow to dublin, but i never use that section and just bin it. as i live in london

hamazz
Old Jan 6th 2013, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamazz
i would agree with jimmydean, had a few travel agents book me tickets like this before, it works out cheaper, i guess it has to do with the passenger duty for the airport your flying from and to.

i book tickets and the last leg of the ticket is sometimes a heathrow to dublin, but i never use that section and just bin it. as i live in london

hamazz
Hi Hamazz,
seems madness flying to one or two other airports before reaching your destination and it working out cheaper.
On that note we are considering having a stopover in New York either at the start or finish of our journey,if I am paying that kind of money may as well tick of one of lives things to do before you die (weekend in the Big Apple).

cheers
Arty & Co
Old Jan 6th 2013, 7:59 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Im going to Vancouver in March and going Manchester via Amsterdam on the way out and on the way back going Vancouver via Seattle via Amsterdam back to Manchester. It does not add that many more hours on top of a direct flight, every airport has free wifi so can catch up on emails etc. Plus £680 return including taxes, credit card fee etc. If I wanted to go direct in March I would have had to nearly doubled that figure.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

hamazz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Arty
Hi Hamazz,
seems madness flying to one or two other airports before reaching your destination and it working out cheaper.
On that note we are considering having a stopover in New York either at the start or finish of our journey,if I am paying that kind of money may as well tick of one of lives things to do before you die (weekend in the Big Apple).

cheers
Arty & Co
i think the way it works is the passenger air duty, if flight is from uk to uk you get charged a certain amount, if it starts or ends in europe you get charged more, usa even more, africa/middle east more etc,

so when the last leg is say london dublin its uk based so you get charged the local air passenger duty rather than the usa-uk figure, something like that

hamazz
Old Jan 7th 2013, 2:57 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,
we are 4 months away from flying to Halifax Nova Scotia,to activate our PR.We intend to stay for one week and then fly back to old blighty and consider our next move,which should be us coming over for good around Sept.
After looking for flights from Glasgow ,Edinburgh,Manchester to the above destination the best prices we are getting come in at around £760 upwardsSome with more than 3 stops each way
On that note does anyone recommend holding off booking hoping that the prices come down or have we missed that plane .

Cheers
Arty & Family
If you are just coming to activate your PR, is there any reason to go all the way to Halifax? You can do it just as easily at Toronto and it would be a lot cheaper in air fares.

Just a thought.

Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by siouxie
If you are just coming to activate your PR, is there any reason to go all the way to Halifax? You can do it just as easily at Toronto and it would be a lot cheaper in air fares.

Just a thought.

Ho Siouxie,
We were thinking about doing this,but we really would like to touch base with folk over in NS and look at schools ,areas to stay etc etc before the big move.The realization that we are getting closer to the point of no return ,is making it imperative that we look at all the angles.
To be honest we are starting to S**t ourselves
Cheers for the reply.

Arty & family
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamazz
i think the way it works is the passenger air duty, if flight is from uk to uk you get charged a certain amount, if it starts or ends in europe you get charged more, usa even more, africa/middle east more etc,

so when the last leg is say london dublin its uk based so you get charged the local air passenger duty rather than the usa-uk figure, something like that

hamazz
cheers Hamazz
Old Jan 7th 2013, 3:41 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ho Siouxie,
We were thinking about doing this,but we really would like to touch base with folk over in NS and look at schools ,areas to stay etc etc before the big move.The realization that we are getting closer to the point of no return ,is making it imperative that we look at all the angles.
Cheers for the reply.

Arty & family
I hear you

It's a shame you can't wait until May, Air Transat have a seat sale on - Glasgow to Halifax £398 including taxes. *** This fare has now disappeared from their website, sorry ***

http://www.airtransat.co.uk/en/speci...showpbe#GLAYYZ

How about flying into Toronto and then getting a Westjet flight to Halifax? They have a seat sale on at the moment.

http://www.westjet.com/guest/en/deal...ss-ge-20130102

Just saw this - don't know if it is any good. http://www.cheapflights.co.uk/flight...cotia/Glasgow/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 7th 2013 at 4:02 pm.
Old Jan 7th 2013, 4:00 pm
Account Closed

Dave n Ailsa is an unknown quantity at this point

Ho Siouxie,
Cheers for the reply.

Arty & family
You're doing the right thing. I spent a week driving about the Hamilton area, looking at Burlington, Hamilton, Stoney Creek, Caledonia, Binbrook, Dundas, Milton, and it all just confirmed that the place we wanted to settle was still Ancaster, the first place we liked.

Waste of a week? we don't think so. It's not a move anyone should take lightly, so the high expense short term will save a HUGE expense long term.