Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

flight help & advice needed...pleeeease

flight help & advice needed...pleeeease

Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

coolboarder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default flight help & advice needed...pleeeease

Im trying to find a flight to Ottawa as i have a job interview. Im really flexible with dates because i can go anytime in November or December. It needs to be for 3 nights stay or there abouts. Im having trouble finding a flight much under 14 hrs. Whats going on here, its only across the pond which i thought direct was about 7-8 hrs. The majority of flights are to Toronto and then onto Ottawa with an internal flight. This seems crazy, isnt Ottawa the capital ! Also i here people reaching Canada for £300 ish well some quotes are anything up to a grand.

I live in the midland and can easily get to Birmingham or Manchester and even Heathrow would be ok but im a bit disappointed at my results so far. I accept i may have to use an internal flight but what am i doing wrong. Should i perhaps go internally up to Scotland and then onto Canada from there, should i book one way flights and any internal flights separate ?

Im confused & disheartened, can any one point me in the right direction please.

Any help or advise would be much appreciated,

Thanks.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flight help & advice needed...pleeeease

Originally Posted by coolboarder
Im trying to find a flight to Ottawa as i have a job interview. Im really flexible with dates because i can go anytime in November or December. It needs to be for 3 nights stay or there abouts. Im having trouble finding a flight much under 14 hrs. Whats going on here, its only across the pond which i thought direct was about 7-8 hrs. The majority of flights are to Toronto and then onto Ottawa with an internal flight. This seems crazy, isnt Ottawa the capital ! Also i here people reaching Canada for £300 ish well some quotes are anything up to a grand.

I live in the midland and can easily get to Birmingham or Manchester and even Heathrow would be ok but im a bit disappointed at my results so far. I accept i may have to use an internal flight but what am i doing wrong. Should i perhaps go internally up to Scotland and then onto Canada from there, should i book one way flights and any internal flights separate ?

Thanks.

Toronto is not that far from Ottowa...if you can't get a direct flight then just go to Toronto and rent a car from there.....actually I think Montreal is a little closer even
Old Oct 27th 2005, 11:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

AC 888/889 seems to be direct LHR-YOW, 7hr45min flight time going west. I checked Nov 27th and it exists on this date, didn't look at pricing...
Old Oct 28th 2005, 12:15 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by psb182
Toronto is not that far from Ottowa...if you can't get a direct flight then just go to Toronto and rent a car from there.....actually I think Montreal is a little closer even
Yep, Montreal is only a couple of hours drive max.

I believe the airport is on the Ottawa side of town also.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:19 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
Yes Ottawa is the national capital but in aviation terms it is not a major center.

If you go to the Air Canada website and choose dates of November 24th departure from London Heathrow to Ottawa with a return date of November 29th, then choose by fare, it comes up with some flights with fares of £193 round trip, if you then carry on to the next screen it'll give you the flights. You will have to go through Toronto on the way there but it is a direct flight back to Heathrow.

November 24th AC869 Heathrow to Toronto
November 24th AC454 Toronto to Ottawa
November 29th AC888 Ottawa to Heathrow

Cheers
Steve

Last edited by Hangman; Oct 28th 2005 at 1:22 am.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

You can fly with Air Canada from Manchester to Ottawa in November or December for just over £200 on a variety of dates.

Their website is good as you can put in your dates and see other dates and prices around that date and pick the best routing and price for you.

It is via Heathrow on the way out and Montreal and Heathrow on the way back but a good price!

Or you can fly to Montreal direct from Manchester (7 hours) with them (same price) and then drive to Ottawa, very easy direct route and takes about 1.5 hours.

www.aircanada.com

Hope this helps.

Thanks.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hangman
Yes Ottawa is the national capital but in aviation terms it is not a major center.

If you go to the Air Canada website and choose dates of November 24th departure from London Heathrow to Ottawa with a return date of November 29th, then choose by fare, it comes up with some flights with fares of £193 round trip, if you then carry on to the next screen it'll give you the flights. You will have to go through Toronto on the way there but it is a direct flight back to Heathrow.

November 24th AC869 Heathrow to Toronto
November 24th AC454 Toronto to Ottawa
November 29th AC888 Ottawa to Heathrow

Cheers
Steve
Thanks for that Steve, your above suggestion is a touch longer than i wanted to stay but i dont think i have much choice. On the same flights page i found its quicker to get to Ottawa via montreal and back on the direct flight you mentioned.

Thanks to every one for your ideas, Rob.
Old Oct 28th 2005, 10:04 am
cbays

cbays is an unknown quantity at this point

Try checking out flights from Amsterdam or Brussels - flights from the UK are expensive because and I quote from a well known airline "British people will pay". If you can get to Amsterdam or Brussels first and fly from there, the prices drop like a lead balloon.

Good luck with your interview
CBays
Old Oct 28th 2005, 11:56 am
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

I use for reference on prices www.expedia.co.uk

Check out going via a US city aswell, Boston route can throw up some great prices.
Air Canada have great staff but can be a killer on the pocket!

Do not forget two things -

US Thanksgiving last weekend Nov.

Prices to/from CDN and US sky rocket from December 15th this year!!!!!
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:46 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that Steve, your above suggestion is a touch longer than i wanted to stay but i dont think i have much choice. On the same flights page i found its quicker to get to Ottawa via montreal and back on the direct flight you mentioned.

Thanks to every one for your ideas, Rob.
Flying to Ottawa via Montreal doesn't make an awful lot of sense. Montreal airport is on the far western edge of the city and well on the way to Ottawa. It would be quicker to stop your journey there and rent a car. If you don't fancy driving, you can also take a bus direct from the airport to Ottawa (about 90 minutes).
Old Oct 30th 2005, 10:55 am
spring is coming yeha

steved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nicesteved61 is just really nice

Hi
we have found zoom airlines (www.flyzoom.com) to be cheap but a very good airline as good as main scheduled airlines. Also there is canadian affairs(www.canadianaffairs.com) which uses charter airlines never used them though
Old Oct 30th 2005, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Flying to Ottawa via Montreal doesn't make an awful lot of sense. Montreal airport is on the far western edge of the city and well on the way to Ottawa. It would be quicker to stop your journey there and rent a car. If you don't fancy driving, you can also take a bus direct from the airport to Ottawa (about 90 minutes).
Thats interesting, thanks. Is there a rail link also as well as a bus from Montreal airport to Ottawa? If i cant fly direct to Ottawa this seems the best route so far. I have to get to Kanata, is this a well known area. I dont fancy hiring a car so will buses & trains get me where i want to.

While im on the subject can anyone tell me how close Kanata is to the main Ottawa city.

Cheers.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:04 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats interesting, thanks. Is there a rail link also as well as a bus from Montreal airport to Ottawa? If i cant fly direct to Ottawa this seems the best route so far. I have to get to Kanata, is this a well known area. I dont fancy hiring a car so will buses & trains get me where i want to.

While im on the subject can anyone tell me how close Kanata is to the main Ottawa city.

Cheers.
Forget travelling by train. I don't think there is a link to the airport. You'd have to go back into Montreal and pick up a VIA train to Ottawa. They do not run often (four or five a day, I think). I'm not sure about the bus schedules but I'm prepared to bet that it will be quicker than taking the train.

Kanata is just west of Ottawa. Driving, you'd be looking at about 20 minutes, in good traffic. You can take the bus, although I don't know how close it goes to where you want to be. Have a look at octranspo.com
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Cheers.
I live in Ottawa and work in hi-tech in Kanata. If you want any detailed info pleas feel free to PM me.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 1:02 pm
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Wrong. There are five trains daily from Dorval to Ottawa, taking about 90 minutes. $34, tax inclusive, if you book well in advance and get a Comfort Super fare. The train stop is max 5 minutes from the airport in a taxi.
The downside about taking the train, is that there are limits on how much luggage you can bring. If I'm not mistaken, none of the trains between Montreal and Ottawa carry separate luggage carts, so you can't check excess luggage.

Greyhound runs between Dorval and Ottawa, 6 departures a day, taking around two hours. $25.20, tax not incl. I'm not sure if there are other bus companies operating this route.

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Forget travelling by train. I don't think there is a link to the airport. You'd have to go back into Montreal and pick up a VIA train to Ottawa.

Last edited by Wannabe; Oct 30th 2005 at 1:21 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.