Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flexibilty to relocate with PR (& other queries)

Flexibilty to relocate with PR (& other queries)

Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:34 am
Just Joined

hoopla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Flexibilty to relocate with PR (& other queries)

Hi all,

I have a general question that I cannot find the answer to in previous posts.

If successful in obtaining PR via PNP (say in BC for example), are you restricted to remaining in that province longterm, or do you have full flexibilty to relocate anywhere in Canada? If you do have to remain in your PNP province....is it for a fixed length of time?

Also (just thought of another question re: the above) are you also obliged to remain with the employer (who nominates you for PR via PNP) for a fixed period of time ? If so....for how long?

Thanks in advance, Hoopla
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Flexibilty to relocate with PR (& other queries)

Originally Posted by hoopla
Hi all,

If successful in obtaining PR via PNP (say in BC for example), are you restricted to remaining in that province longterm, or do you have full flexibilty to relocate anywhere in Canada? If you do have to remain in your PNP province....is it for a fixed length of time?

Also (just thought of another question re: the above) are you also obliged to remain with the employer (who nominates you for PR via PNP) for a fixed period of time ? If so....for how long?

Yes, you do have to remain in that Province. I am not sure of the timescale though except that it is several years (4 rings a bell but someone will probably correct me).

No, you don't have to remain with your employer (or I think any employer) when you have your PR
Old Sep 12th 2007, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

karen 1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I think you have to stay with the company for 12 months as we are going that route in BC .I have heard that if you dont they can kick you out because you have gone under false pretences and you have broke a contract with that company that was going to take on.Unless that company get rid of you first eg;redundancy,or find that they cant pay you for any reason any more,as long as it is nothing you have done you are alright.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:23 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its sort of a grey area, The danger is if they figure out you are not planning to stay you simply wont get the PNP ticket in the first place, but certainly after 3 years you are eligible to apply for citizenship anyway, and the right of freedom of movement in enshrined in that charter so all bets are off once thats granted.
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
Yes, you do have to remain in that Province. I am not sure of the timescale though except that it is several years (4 rings a bell but someone will probably correct me).
Do you really have to stay in the same province? Wow, I've never heard this, do you know where I can find out more? I am in NS but I had in the back of my mind that if all fails then I can move to BC...
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h_henry
Do you really have to stay in the same province? Wow, I've never heard this, do you know where I can find out more? I am in NS but I had in the back of my mind that if all fails then I can move to BC...
Are you a provincial nominee applicant?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Are you a provincial nominee applicant?
No I'm a PR so I thought that gave me the right to live anywhere in Canada
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ahhhh I see...the post is talking specifically about Provincial Nominees...so I guess the answer is if you're not a PN, then you can live wherever you want?
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

It does. PNP was being discussed above
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
It does. PNP was being discussed above
Thanks.. Panic over. I would say it's cos it's early in the morning but it's not...
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: Flexibilty to relocate with PR (via PNP) & other q's

So just to clarify..

Are you obliged to stay with the employer (who nominated you for PNP), for a minimum of 12 months, from the date you achieved PR status ?

&

Upon achieving PR status (say for instance, in BC, via PNP) are you then obliged to stay put for 4 yrs? Do you then need to become a citizen in order to move province...or after 4 years (as a PR) are you able to move anywhere you wish within Canada ?

Any more info is gratefully received.

hoopla
Old Sep 14th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

This advice was given by Andrew Miller in a previous thread. I hope it is of some help to you.

you are not tied to the job, but you are somehow tied to nominating Province, at least until you permanently settle there and prove it. One of forms you sign is a declaration of intention to settle in the nominating Province and this document may be later used to revoke your PR status if nominating Province determines that you have not settled and didn't make enough effort to settle and wants to go after you.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I think there is the danger of p**ssing off employers who are using the PNP, if you were to just up-sticks after a few months.

The PNP places can sometimes be hard fought by many candidates (I'm using Calgary police as my example as it's the only one I'm familiar with). If the new employee came over, then buggered off after 6 months, it would surely make the employer even more particular about who it employs in the future - even given that they are desparate for more staff (which they must be to be using the PNP in the first place).

I guess if something genuinely does not work out, then so be it. Sometimes circs really do get the better of you.

Lawfully, I don't know the answer to your question, but I would hope some loyalty would be in evidence at the start of the journey. But to potentially 'use' the PNP with this intention from the start, would in some way I believe, potentially hinder the progress of the all the would-be immigrants behind you in the queue.

But, once you've got that PR in your hands - who knows?!
Old Sep 14th 2007, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Thanks guys, just trying to gather all the facts (and hopefully make the right choices from the outset ), in case work opps in another province present themselves a couple of years down the line.
Old Sep 14th 2007, 6:02 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys, just trying to gather all the facts (and hopefully make the right choices from the outset ), in case work opps in another province present themselves a couple of years down the line.
Agree with Ann M's point above. Its not really fair to other PNP hopefulls to arrive with no intention of working for that employer for any length of time and give the whole PNP a bad name. But I would have thought that a couple of years down the line you are well within your rights to look at better opportunities if they come your way. After all they abolished slavery some time ago! Unless there are rules specific to BC I don't think there is anything contractual about staying with an employer under a PNP.

I do remember from the NS PNP that the forms said something along the lines of moving to another province being viewed as a serious offence and you getting reported to the RCMP etc etc. But in practice I'm not sure - I read some stats that something like 30% of immigrants didn't stay and moved to other provinces. I cant imagine they locked all those people up - there are human rights issues to consider after all (i.e. I couldn't find work so I had to move to support my family). I think you would need to show you had made a reasonable effort to settle in the province though.