Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Flat beds in Business Class

Flat beds in Business Class

Old Apr 20th 2013, 12:33 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Flat beds in Business Class

I am currently looking to book flight tickets between Manchester and Calgary. Just wondering if anyone has travelled on that route with an airline that offers flat beds in the business class? I know Canadian Affair operates directly between Manchester and Calgary but I am not sure if they have a business class in their fleet. I have some sleep issues and will have to be at work the next morning when I arrive in Calgary. So I think its a good idea to give my body time to rest on the way so that I can arrive fresh and get on with my work the next day. I don't mind taking a stopover on the way if theres no direct service.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice
Default Re: Flat beds in Business Class

Originally Posted by Edo
I am currently looking to book flight tickets between Manchester and Calgary. Just wondering if anyone has travelled on that route with an airline that offers flat beds in the business class? I know Canadian Affair operates directly between Manchester and Calgary but I am not sure if they have a business class in their fleet. I have some sleep issues and will have to be at work the next morning when I arrive in Calgary. So I think its a good idea to give my body time to rest on the way so that I can arrive fresh and get on with my work the next day. I don't mind taking a stopover on the way if theres no direct service.
The Canadian Affair flights are with Air Transat or Thomas Cook and do not offer flat beds.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 1:45 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
The only way to go.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

You could fly or take the train from Manchester to London and then take Air Canada to Calgary. They offer flat beds.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Air Canada lay flat beds/pods...not bad at all. Thanks to upgrades, I have enjoyed 22 of them in the last 12 months.... mainly to Frankfurt and Munich. From there cattle class....

Don't think I would pay for the AC Executive First experience unless the offer was a good one.....
Old Apr 20th 2013, 2:29 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
The flat beds are great, but going from the UK to Calgary is normally done in daylight hours, so it makes it more difficult, for some, to sleep. Air Canada has flat beds, but they fly out of Heathrow. AC does fly out of some regional airports, but only at certain times of the year and I couldn't say what type of aircraft they use on those routes. BA probably has flat beds.

On a "scheduled" flight from LHR you will arrive in Calgary in the mid to late afternoon, depending upon the airline. This will give you at least one nights sleep before heading to work. In recent years, whilst flying LHR to YYC, I have been taking a product called " No-Jet-Lag" and I swear by it. My jet lag was always worse flying to Calgary and these pills made such a difference. I was a bit skeptical when I first saw them in a local travel store in Calgary, but after speaking with the person in the shop I decided to give them a try and I am now a convert.

Good luck.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 3:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
The flat beds are great, but going from the UK to Calgary is normally done in daylight hours, so it makes it more difficult, for some, to sleep. Air Canada has flat beds, but they fly out of Heathrow. AC does fly out of some regional airports, but only at certain times of the year and I couldn't say what type of aircraft they use on those routes. BA probably has flat beds.

On a "scheduled" flight from LHR you will arrive in Calgary in the mid to late afternoon, depending upon the airline. This will give you at least one nights sleep before heading to work. In recent years, whilst flying LHR to YYC, I have been taking a product called " No-Jet-Lag" and I swear by it. My jet lag was always worse flying to Calgary and these pills made such a difference. I was a bit skeptical when I first saw them in a local travel store in Calgary, but after speaking with the person in the shop I decided to give them a try and I am now a convert.

Good luck.
It's also known by its other name, Don't-Get-Pissed-On-The-Flight.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:02 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
T In recent years, whilst flying LHR to YYC, I have been taking a product called " No-Jet-Lag" and I swear by it. My jet lag was always worse flying to Calgary and these pills made such a difference. I was a bit skeptical when I first saw them in a local travel store in Calgary, but after speaking with the person in the shop I decided to give them a try and I am now a convert.

Good luck.
You realize don't you that this is a homeopathic product i.e. one that contains absolutely no active ingredients and which relies entirely on the placebo effect?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:14 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You realize don't you that this is a homeopathic product i.e. one that contains absolutely no active ingredients and which relies entirely on the placebo effect?
Don't doubt it, but it worked for me, so after the tedious flight to YYC from LHR it is nice to know that I didn't face days with a fuzzy head.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:31 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I prefer the traditional flight mix, antihistamines and gin. Works for me.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

I never find the flight from abroad to Canada that bad. Usually go to bed at Canadian bed time and back to normal the next day. Worse is the overnight flight outwards.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 4:39 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
I never find the flight from abroad to Canada that bad. Usually go to bed at Canadian bed time and back to normal the next day. Worse is the overnight flight outwards.
You're right, its worse going from abroad to the UK as you miss out the night. If you don't have to be in a meeting the next day the best thing is to down about five pints in the airport lounge and then keep sucking them down until after the dinner then have a nap.

Last edited by Oink; Apr 20th 2013 at 4:42 pm.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Oh I'd love to but unfortunately the airlines don't provide babysitting service and so we've to look after our 3 little ones ourselves and although all 3 are really good and quiet flyers I fear boozing kind of interferes with that .
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Maplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to allMaplease is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ninaDGBCA
Oh I'd love to but unfortunately the airlines don't provide babysitting service and so we've to look after our 3 little ones ourselves and although all 3 are really good and quiet flyers I fear boozing kind of interferes with that .
You obviously aren't giving them enough

OP - Sleeping tablets may help.
Old Apr 20th 2013, 6:37 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Through a combination of business travel policy for longer flights and e-upgrades I fly fairly regularly in AC exec first. The lie flat pods are pretty good, especially on the long overnight flights like YVR to HKG. Much better than the back of the bus ( where I am if its my dime I'm spending!)

AFAIK the charter carriers don't do lie flat...needs to be scheduled and not all airlines business class is lie flat. Seat guru.com is your friend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.