Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

flashing green lights

flashing green lights

Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:56 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: flashing green lights

Found it

www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/handbook

Its a good read.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:57 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl

Also the person to the right of you has the right of way at a stop sign.
Yeah, and if 4 people arrive at one they all have someone to the right so then what?

...hence my point about 4 arriving at once
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Yeah, and if 4 people arrive at one they all have someone to the right so then what?

Age before beauty ???
Women and children first ??
Shit before the shovel ???
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:00 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gremmie
the fact that i was mowed down by a drunk who was on his cell and left for dead bares no relivance to this thread,,
But it does worry me the number of Britts that come over here expect to get their licences flipped,but dont bother to learn the can highway code or bother to learn how to drive on the new road conditions,,,but as the holier than thow SteveP says i,m a miserable sod
Whether you think I'm holier than thou is irrelevant.

You could have found a lot more diplomatic way to express your surprise, than to attack the original poster of this thread.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:03 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'll see your F350 and raise you 300 or so.......

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/4425/f650sdep2.jpg
I suspect virtually ANYTHING arriving at the same time as that behemoth would get away from the line quicker
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Not rude,,just startled and shocked, was wondering what other signs you and others dont know in the highway code..
You are making a wild assumption there.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Whether you think I'm holier than thou is irrelevant.

You could have found a lot more diplomatic way to express your surprise, than to attack the original poster of this thread.
So calling me a miserable sod was diplomatic
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:06 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

So calling me a miserable sod was diplomatic
Just responding in kind.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 8:43 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

The simplest things can cause accidents what may seem a very minor and insignificant detail at some point could have killed somebody once.

Most rules and regulations are actually placed in the drivers handbook as a lessons learnt from previous accidents. Which is why wherever you go in the world even if is just for a holiday you should learn the local rules.

Obviously the likelihood of an accident occuring is very slim but imagine if you did kill somebody because you didn't take the time to understand a sign or you were unaware that pedestrians always have a right of way even if they are not at a crosswalk.

I'm not a perfect driver but I pray that i will never hurt anybody. I find it amazing much like most of you on this site how bad it can be driving in Canada can be but i also would hazard a guess that it is because the majority are immigrants that drive the way they did back home (whether that be france, germany, england, india or the phillipines) wherever they come from they all drive differently so you put the on the same streets and it becomes mayhem...

Sorry for the rant but it's just my 2 cents worth.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
The immigrant community could/should at least buy a copy of the drivers handbook and give it a once over...in mine it mentions about the green light situation.

Also the person to the right of you has the right of way at a stop sign.
Only if you arrive at the stop line at the same time. I read the Highway Code, even though I did a straight swap... I couldn't work out what those bloody flashing green lights were!!

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'll see your F350 and raise you 300 or so.......

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/4425/f650sdep2.jpg
I used to dream of a Dodge SRT10.... until I saw that..... It's so un-PC!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:26 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

hmm - but why to the right?? in Uk we drive on left and give way to right =- so why here do we drive on right and give way to right - that threw me at first!!

but please note - I am having a lesson next week before I do my BC TEST!!

please polish my halo
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:37 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
hmm - but why to the right?? in Uk we drive on left and give way to right =- so why here do we drive on right and give way to right - that threw me at first!!

but please note - I am having a lesson next week before I do my BC TEST!!

please polish my halo
...but the UK is unusual in that regard - the rule across Europe (unless the road you're on is designated as a major route, with the white and yellow diamond sign) is that priority is given to traffic on your right. It's what used to make the place de l'etoile in Paris such fun as you're effectively giving way to traffic joining a large roundabout. To the average Parisien, "give way to traffic on the right" equates completely with "aim at traffic on the left." Now the French have embraced the roundabout, the idea of giving way to traffic already in the junction is gradually filtering through...

At a 4-way stop, the idea of giving way to traffic on the right is just as logical as any other. And don't forget, the priority-to-the-right rule only applies if two of you arrive at the same time. In normal use, it's first come, first served. Beyond two simultaneous arrivals, theoretically, traffic going straight on or turning right has precedence over something turning left, but in reality it's whoever is the politest gives way to the more aggressive. It's as likely to end up in one of those "you go first," "no, after you," "no, I insist, after you" discussions as anything else!
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:48 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
...but the UK is unusual in that regard - the rule across Europe (unless the road you're on is designated as a major route, with the white and yellow diamond sign) is that priority is given to traffic on your right. It's what used to make the place de l'etoile in Paris such fun as you're effectively giving way to traffic joining a large roundabout. To the average Parisien, "give way to traffic on the right" equates completely with "aim at traffic on the left." Now the French have embraced the roundabout, the idea of giving way to traffic already in the junction is gradually filtering through...

At a 4-way stop, the idea of giving way to traffic on the right is just as logical as any other. And don't forget, the priority-to-the-right rule only applies if two of you arrive at the same time. In normal use, it's first come, first served. Beyond two simultaneous arrivals, theoretically, traffic going straight on or turning right has precedence over something turning left, but in reality it's whoever is the politest gives way to the more aggressive. It's as likely to end up in one of those "you go first," "no, after you," "no, I insist, after you" discussions as anything else!
I used to drive in the uk with the attitude of "after me you come first" if people were hesitating - now I just mooch and let them go if they want!

although some mum at school told me the other day that if you are on a traffic circle (roundabout) you still have to give way to pople joining it?? that cant be right can it? not that I have seen many roundies over here !
Old Jan 16th 2009, 8:59 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

you dont give way to drivers while on a rotary. you give way to the left here (canada) before joining it & then you drive anticlockwise round. You should signal before leaving before your desired exit.
Old Jan 16th 2009, 9:02 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by magnumpi
you dont give way to drivers while on a rotary. you give way to the left here (canada) before joining it & then you drive anticlockwise round. You should signal before leaving before your desired exit.
Well I know that - maybe the lady in question was a bit mad or wanted to see if the silly english lady would fall for it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.