Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Fish tank vs emigration

Fish tank vs emigration

Old May 2nd 2017, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fish tank vs emigration

I shipped a 100gallon and a 50 gallon tank, from Nova Scotia to Manitoba, with no issues at all, proved very useful for storage of my more delicate items too. I know its not overseas but same difference really. I even drove from NS to Manitoba with my fish in the trunk of my car, in several totes, with a battery operated air pump. Took 5 days driving and they were fine. I couldn't bring myself to rehome some of them, as they had been with me for 10 years at that time. They survived and are still going strong 6 years later.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:48 pm
Just Joined

MamaSealion is an unknown quantity at this point

5 days in the boot of your car?! Fish are great aren't they?
I like the idea of using the tank as a fancy packing box!
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:46 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

When we moved here we wanted to preserve as much tank water as we could so we siphoned some of it into five gallon buckets with the idea of driving them over here, putting the water in the bath tub and, when we brought the tank with the fish, tipping as much water as possible back in.

Alas, when we arrived in a truck with the buckets there had been a snowstorm and the truck got stuck at the end of the driveway. We then had to carry the water a quarter mile through the snow to the house. It's heavy, water.
Old May 3rd 2017, 6:54 am
Just Joined

MamaSealion is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha, oh dear! What a drama!
Old May 3rd 2017, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

Keeping fish sounds like a pain in the a...

My friend had some fish, some of them kept eating the eyes of other fish and my other friend said they'd had that type of thing too... since I heard that I have had a real dislike for fish. They just don't seem like they're very nice.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
Keeping fish sounds like a pain in the a...

My friend had some fish, some of them kept eating the eyes of other fish and my other friend said they'd had that type of thing too... since I heard that I have had a real dislike for fish. They just don't seem like they're very nice.
The tank is like a little zoo so some care in selection is required. If you were keeping animals all in one pen you'd similarly have to be careful not to have dominant lions and a herd of goats as, shortly after setting up that zoo, you'd have one lion and no goats. So it goes with water creatures.
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
The tank is like a little zoo so some care in selection is required. If you were keeping animals all in one pen you'd similarly have to be careful not to have dominant lions and a herd of goats as, shortly after setting up that zoo, you'd have one lion and no goats. So it goes with water creatures.
That even applies to the same breed fish in some cases....never put two MALE Siamese fighting fish in the same tank together. Beautiful looking fish, but only one male per tank - as many females as you want...but they are very plain looking in comparison to the males.
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd
That even applies to the same breed fish in some cases....never put two MALE Siamese fighting fish in the same tank together. Beautiful looking fish, but only one male per tank - as many females as you want...but they are very plain looking in comparison to the males.
Generally you have to go with one fish of each shape; one angel, one tang and so on. Some fish however primarily eat fish so the only hope for those in a mixed tank is to make the aggressive eater the smallest fish.
Old May 3rd 2017, 5:59 pm
Back in US & happy!

becks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond reputebecks_r has a reputation beyond repute

Generally you have to go with one fish of each shape; one angel, one tang and so on. Some fish however primarily eat fish so the only hope for those in a mixed tank is to make the aggressive eater the smallest fish.
That is interesting, had never thought of making sure the most aggressive fish is the smallest one, or one of each shape
Old May 3rd 2017, 6:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by becks_r
That is interesting, had never thought of making sure the most aggressive fish is the smallest one, or one of each shape
Individual fish sometimes fail to conform to type. We had a hawkfish for a long time, it was peaceful and entertaining in a tank with a range of other creatures. The tank suffered a disaster (the heating failed while we were away) and we had to start again. We got another hawkfish and it ate bloody everything until we worked out what was happening and took it back to the shop.
Old May 4th 2017, 1:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Most knowledgeable fish store owners can advice on these issues. One chain in America actually puts a ranking on which fish more aggressive - A through F is I remember, and recommends which "letters" can be mixed with others. Fish store owners tell me usually problem is either buyers just don't listen, or sometimes speak to part time help who aren't sure of answer.

My best experiences with such situations and overall have been :

1. Twice as much filtration as recommended, and adding to that the underground filter, but have section of tank were the water is still or more still than other parts of tank.
2. Some real plants. ( and for small fish good place to hide). Even fish I didn't expect would nibble on the plants.
3. Occasionally have live food such as shrimp.
4. And occasion, I don't know why, have some amphibians in tank such as the miniature white frogs, and if one can get a species that will actually eat regularly, salamanders. I don't know why but overall seem to help keep a balanced environment.
5. Snails ( though a pain when they multiply), or the small hermit crabs.
Old May 4th 2017, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

That is a good point but in this case these were all the same type of tropical fish.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Shakyuk
That is a good point but in this case these were all the same type of tropical fish.
Yeah, it's a fragile equilibrium. Not only do the buggers eat each other but many of them release poisons and some, sea apples for example, will, if they die, take everything else in the tank with them. People looking for a reasonably calm, relaxing and economical animal hobby should eschew the fish tank and buy a horse.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yeah, it's a fragile equilibrium. Not only do the buggers eat each other but many of them release poisons and some, sea apples for example, will, if they die, take everything else in the tank with them. People looking for a reasonably calm, relaxing and economical animal hobby should eschew the fish tank and buy a horse.

I didn't know that! It must be quite interesting and stressful to get everything set up.
At least with a horse you can ride it, and when it gets old you can sell it to Tesco UK and they'll market your horse as beef burgers. Everyone wins... Except the horse.
Old May 4th 2017, 8:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Why 'Fish tank vs emigration'?

If you cannot bring the tank you won't emigrate?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.