Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

First tax return - would YOU file?

Wikiposts

First tax return - would YOU file?

Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: First tax return - would YOU file?

But it does not say anything about filing for the first time. As the OP arrived in 2011 they can file their first return online.

I on the other hand cannot as I arrived in April.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:39 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I appreciate the distinction. I am not trying to say to are wrong, I am just surprised.

When you file a return online the CRA's computers check certain personal information e.g. name, SIN and date of birth, to make sure you are who you claim to be.

I can file the first return for the child of a Canadian because they are already in the system. For an immigrant who has never filed a tax return I wonder how the CRA knew to setup a taxper file for you.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

.c.s.o. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I appreciate the distinction. I am not trying to say to are wrong, I am just surprised.

When you file a return online the CRA's computers check certain personal information e.g. name, SIN and date of birth, to make sure you are who you claim to be.

I can file the first return for the child of a Canadian because they are already in the system. For an immigrant who has never filed a tax return I wonder how the CRA knew to setup a taxper file for you.
You can't set up one of those My Account things but when you go to submit the .tax file there is a checkbox for first time filers and they ask for a bunch of information. Once you get the assessment notice then you can set up a My Account.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

OK. Thanks.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

I moved to Canada permanently in later part 2012 and haven't earned any income in Canada or in the UK in 2012 although i started my new job in Calgary in January 2013.
Do i need to complete a CRA tax return for 2012 even though my earning were zero.
All help welcome
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:06 pm
Binned by Muderators

No, you don't have to file a return if you did not earn any income. Unless teh CRA ask you to.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Scotjames is on a distinguished road

Hi Jon
thanks for your reply' I was had start to complete the T1 General 2012 forms section and was going complete as zero in the earning.
Old Apr 21st 2013, 12:45 pm
Just Joined

VicE is an unknown quantity at this point

You can not file on line in your first year. This is our year of first time filing and we had to send ours in through mail. Also takes up to 16 weeks for refund for first time new immigrants that are permanent. Called CRA the other day to see when we would get out refund and we were told up to 16 to 20 weeks. then next year can file online. I have no income this year but my husband does and I still had to file.