Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

First tax refund - no news?

Wikiposts

First tax refund - no news?

Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:37 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default First tax refund - no news?

I filed my first ever tax return in Canada in March 2014 and CRA advised me in a follow up phone call that they started processing my file on 20th May and it takes 5 weeks for the whole thing to be processed and any refunds issued. They owe me a hefty refund which I cannot wait to get back, so I called them again to chase it up today as I have still not heard anything and I was told that it actually takes 16 weeks (not from the date that they received it but when they actually started processing it) . I told the call centre advisor the CRA certainly didnt wait 16 weeks to deduct my tax so why should I have to wait for 16 weeks to get my refund and she said its normal for new residents tax files to take that long.

Can someone confirm if that is really the case and if there is any way to expedite this please?
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 9:45 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First tax refund - no news?

My first return didn't get to me until November.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

AlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond reputeAlmostThere12 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. We sent our as soon as got T4 mid/end Jan and it took forever. Got it end of Apr beg May after child evidence request and that was a straight forward employment with nothing extra other than child allowances. Apparently one in x amount get completely put through the mill! I'm really hoping next years is straight forward and quick!
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:23 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

15-16 weeks is not unusual for a new immigrant's first return. Next year, unless there is something odd on the return, it will be processed in a roughly 10 days.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Your first return for new residents as said takes forever, luckily after the first one, its processed pretty quick, 1-2 weeks.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 11:46 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies folks. They told me mine has been marked for some 'special review', cuz on top of being a new resident I was guilty of giving money to registered charities and the tax benefit from those contributions seem to be causing the delay. Not very encouraging to give charity in Canada is it.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I was guilty of giving money to registered charities and the tax benefit from those contributions seem to be causing the delay. Not very encouraging to give charity in Canada is it.
Probably something else related to being your first year. I put mine on my tax return this year and it just went straight through.
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 2:49 pm
Happy in Alberta

sms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud ofsms1984 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Edo
I filed my first ever tax return in Canada in March 2014 and CRA advised me in a follow up phone call that they started processing my file on 20th May and it takes 5 weeks for the whole thing to be processed and any refunds issued. They owe me a hefty refund which I cannot wait to get back, so I called them again to chase it up today as I have still not heard anything and I was told that it actually takes 16 weeks (not from the date that they received it but when they actually started processing it) . I told the call centre advisor the CRA certainly didnt wait 16 weeks to deduct my tax so why should I have to wait for 16 weeks to get my refund and she said its normal for new residents tax files to take that long.

Can someone confirm if that is really the case and if there is any way to expedite this please?
We filed ours via efile and received our returns about 2 weeks later, this was our first tax return too. It seems to be pretty varied
Old Jun 23rd 2014, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

Our status is very similar to yours, we put our returns in at the beginning of march, I called beginning of may and they said it had just gone to processing and would be maximum 5 weeks. I rang again yesturday and was told we had to allow 16 weeks. Our returns were also very straight forward with just the one employer, I figure ill give it to august then call again.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Took us over 13 weeks first return.

This year much quicker.

Hang in there - nothing is quick here where paperwork is concerned.
Old Jun 24th 2014, 5:44 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Ours went in March and have not heard anything yet, Im wondering when the tax return will come in and how long it will be till we get PER. Red tape ehh
Old Jun 25th 2014, 2:57 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Call them. I waited assuming that the delay was because it was my first return - turns out they lost it.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:03 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Call them. I waited assuming that the delay was because it was my first return - turns out they lost it.
Would be nice if you could "lose" the letters they send you asking for more money.
Old Jun 25th 2014, 3:21 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
I got JonEboy to do mine and send it so hoping it's not lost
Old Jun 25th 2014, 4:35 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo

Here is a piece of advice - don't piss off the tax man. Seriously.

Originally Posted by Edo
Thanks for your replies folks. They told me mine has been marked for some 'special review', cuz on top of being a new resident I was guilty of giving money to registered charities and the tax benefit from those contributions seem to be causing the delay. Not very encouraging to give charity in Canada is it.

How is one "guilty" of giving money to charity?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.