Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

First snow on the mountain!

Wikiposts

First snow on the mountain!

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First snow on the mountain!

It's not much yet, but it is the first snow of the season and I am excited - got up at 6 am to watch. This is the view from the living room.
A nice gentle intro to a Toronto winter.
We are happy to be in our new home before the winter arrives - now all we need is our container to arrive!
Attached Thumbnails First snow on the mountain!-first-snow-2.jpg  
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:43 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

It's not snow, but it is gorgeous!! We nipped down to the park beside this river this morning as the sun was rising, to look at the ice flowing on the North Saskatchewan River.
Attached Thumbnails First snow on the mountain!-dscn4427.jpg   First snow on the mountain!-dscn4428.jpg   First snow on the mountain!-dscn4429.jpg  
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Rob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond reputeRob4BC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
It's not snow, but it is gorgeous!! We nipped down to the park beside this river this morning as the sun was rising, to look at the ice flowing on the North Saskatchewan River.
Wow, cool!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 4:59 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
Wow, cool!
I was so excited, it's just soooo pretty down there right now, I've never seen anything like it before
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Rob4BC
It's not much yet, but it is the first snow of the season and I am excited - got up at 6 am to watch. This is the view from the living room.
A nice gentle intro to a Toronto winter.
We are happy to be in our new home before the winter arrives - now all we need is our container to arrive!
oh ~Rob~ that looks lovely!..enjoy!!! am so happy for you and your family!! i love watching the snow fall...very peaceful and relaxing..almost mystical..LOL..well to me..hehee

Last edited by Maple Leaf; Nov 23rd 2007 at 3:28 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
I was so excited, it's just soooo pretty down there right now, I've never seen anything like it before
isnt' it great....first discoveries...i am so exctied just with the dustings we are having here...which my husband insists is just frost..LOL..i say it aint!!!
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Whistler always posts its official opening date as US Thanksgiving Day (for marketing purposes only) but actually opens as soon as there is enough snow.

Sorry to hear about your colly wobbles. If you look out to the North Shore mountains this morning your feet must be itching to go. And happy birthday for Thursday.
Thanks for the birtday message.

Birthday party was postponed. Still in bed. Just trying to summon up the engery to see a doctor. Feeling very sorry for myself.

MIL also sent me some very cool new ski socks which just rubs salt in it!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:34 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Londonuck
How much is the ride up to Grouse now?

We used to drive up Cypress and stop just passed the doughnutting bit. The walk up there to Holyburn lodge, or whatever its called, is nice.
Grouse is a bit pricey just to take the sky ride up (but the views on a good day are so darn nice

What I do recommend is, if there is a group of you, that one of you gets the annual pass, and that enables the holder to take up 4 people 1/2 price

If you are moving here - wait until Feb and buy the cheapie ski pass!!! (Good for the rest of the season and the next)
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

we have had a huge dumping of snow here today..i got called into work for 5pm..and it took..me over an hr to get there!!! LOL~...not so funny about the cars in the ditch on the side of highway 18!!

i think we were doing about...30...40k's tops speed.....had no problems...slow and steady wins the race!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

~let it snow~ let it snow~ let it snow~
Attached Thumbnails First snow on the mountain!-007.jpg   First snow on the mountain!-008.jpg  
Old Nov 26th 2007, 5:22 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Grouse is a bit pricey just to take the sky ride up (but the views on a good day are so darn nice

What I do recommend is, if there is a group of you, that one of you gets the annual pass, and that enables the holder to take up 4 people 1/2 price

If you are moving here - wait until Feb and buy the cheapie ski pass!!! (Good for the rest of the season and the next)
If you have a reservation in the restaurant then the ride up is free.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

Does it snow much on Vancouver Island ?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
Does it snow much on Vancouver Island ?
Hi, we live in Cobble Hill in the Cowichan Valley and we asked this question to the locals when we first arrived 3 1/2 years ago. We was told no, not really. Our first Winter we got around 18 inches of snow and had a few power outs. We was told that this was an unusual event. Our second Winter bought just a couple of dumpings, enough to sled and build snowmen but nothing out of the ordinary. Last year, our third Winter we had nearly 2 foot of snow and again a few power outs fincluding one for a day and a half. We had snow during November and December, it cleared before Christmas and then came back in January. So from being told it doesn't snow on Vancouver Island we have had 2 Winters with good snow falls out of 3 Winters here. Temperature wise it is getting down to minus 5 at night now and the lowest we had last year was minus 13.

We had our first snowfall yesterday and it looks nice laying around. We quite like snow (big kids at heart) and have family coming over from England for Christmas so would really like a white Christmas. We will have to wait and see.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
If you have a reservation in the restaurant then the ride up is free.
Even better during Dine Out Vancouver. Lst year they let you go up in the morning, spend the day skiing or snow shoeing and then go for a nice slap up meal in the evening.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by maddhobs
Hi, we live in Cobble Hill in the Cowichan Valley and we asked this question to the locals when we first arrived 3 1/2 years ago. We was told no, not really. Our first Winter we got around 18 inches of snow and had a few power outs. We was told that this was an unusual event. Our second Winter bought just a couple of dumpings, enough to sled and build snowmen but nothing out of the ordinary. Last year, our third Winter we had nearly 2 foot of snow and again a few power outs fincluding one for a day and a half. We had snow during November and December, it cleared before Christmas and then came back in January. So from being told it doesn't snow on Vancouver Island we have had 2 Winters with good snow falls out of 3 Winters here. Temperature wise it is getting down to minus 5 at night now and the lowest we had last year was minus 13.

We had our first snowfall yesterday and it looks nice laying around. We quite like snow (big kids at heart) and have family coming over from England for Christmas so would really like a white Christmas. We will have to wait and see.

yes!! we were told pretty much the same thing..however...i have figured out that a lot of people who have told me this...are originaly from saskatchewan and places where they get heapssssssssssssss of snow..so to them ..this aint snow...LOL.....and i was told that by a 80 something year old lady the other night...*ha! this aint snow..you want to see snow ..go to Saskatchewan.....hehheee

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.