Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

First Few Days in Toronto

Wikiposts

First Few Days in Toronto

Old Mar 9th 2012, 3:52 am
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First Few Days in Toronto

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Do you live in the US? It's cheques in Canada
I have actually but must admit for some reason I thought it was the same here.

Obviously not and Cheques it is then !
Old Mar 9th 2012, 3:52 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katenoza
are there any places in West Tornto that i shoudl avoid?
Around the airport is unattractive, not just the industrial bits but the residential ones. In Toronto, Jane and Finch is generally considered dirty and dangerous but I'd say there's really no need to go to either Jane and anything or Finch and anything, if you go east or south from High Park you'll be safe and can see everything. But then the Dufferin Mall is west and offers a glimpse of a Canada not much mentioned on these boards, you could go there in daylight.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 4:13 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Around the airport is unattractive, not just the industrial bits but the residential ones. In Toronto, Jane and Finch is generally considered dirty and dangerous but I'd say there's really no need to go to either Jane and anything or Finch and anything, if you go east or south from High Park you'll be safe and can see everything. But then the Dufferin Mall is west and offers a glimpse of a Canada not much mentioned on these boards, you could go there in daylight.
Ooooh Jane and Finch ehh

some on here love that area and think it is juat as safe as River st and Gerrard sr east.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 4:19 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Ooooh Jane and Finch ehh

some on here love that area and think it is juat as safe as River st and Gerrard sr east.
So, I was driving to work, past the Welfare Mall on Gerrard St. E. and, at the traffic lights, a woman jumped into the car. "Gimme a ride to River, will ya?". I was going past anyway so we chatted until she told me to stop, "this is my corner", she said, proudly, "thanks for the ride. Do you want a date?". I made my excuses and left.

There's nothing iffy about Gerrard, not that I've noticed anyway. It's also not in West Toronto so I suppose the OP would only be going there for curry. And, on editing, I think that would be an excellent idea, get the tram from High Park, all the way to Little India, see a fair chunk of Toronto for just the fare and eat well for little money, time well spent!

Last edited by dbd33; Mar 9th 2012 at 4:26 am.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 4:26 am

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 9th 2012, 4:52 am
BE Enthusiast

victorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond reputevictorfoxtrot has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing iffy about Gerrard, not that I've noticed anyway. It's also not in West Toronto so I suppose the OP would only be going there for curry. And, on editing, I think that would be an excellent idea, get the tram from High Park, all the way to Little India, see a fair chunk of Toronto for just the fare and eat well for little money, time well spent!
Agreed the trams (ok Streetcars if I must adopt the local lingo) are a great way to see the city without having to walk everywhere. Lahore Tikka House on Gerrard East is great - if you don't mind plastic furnishings and a somewhat drafty feel. Their lamb biryani is superb.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by victorfoxtrot
Agreed the trams (ok Streetcars if I must adopt the local lingo) are a great way to see the city without having to walk everywhere. Lahore Tikka House on Gerrard East is great - if you don't mind plastic furnishings and a somewhat drafty feel. Their lamb biryani is superb.
It is. But, if you go east a bit, on that side of the street, there's the fabulous BBQ Hut and, for those who like yogurt drenched delights, the Madras Dosa. Avoid the Udapi Palace "the McDonalds of India".
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:08 am

It is. But, if you go east a bit, on that side of the street, there's the fabulous BBQ Hut and, for those who like yogurt drenched delights, the Madras Dosa. Avoid the Udapi Palace "the McDonalds of India".
Thats the best thing bout livin in or near a multicultural city like TO
Old Mar 9th 2012, 5:27 am
Assimilated Pauper

Thats the best thing bout livin in or near a multicultural city like TO
The BBQ Hut? Yes, the ideal thing is live within their delivery area, most of the Beach counts.

The reason for suggesting the tram is that it'll go past, or near, Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreatown, the Brazilian bit, Little Portugal, Chinatown East and so on. Someone travelling by tram could have a butcher's at and maybe jump off and poke around, any of these safe, potentially interesting, areas. High Park's a bit sterile, being historically dry, but there are lots of lively places within reach.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

The BBQ Hut? Yes, the ideal thing is live within their delivery area, most of the Beach counts.

The reason for suggesting the tram is that it'll go past, or near, Chinatown, Little Italy, Koreatown, the Brazilian bit, Little Portugal, Chinatown East and so on. Someone travelling by tram could have a butcher's at and maybe jump off and poke around, any of these safe, potentially interesting, areas. High Park's a bit sterile, being historically dry, but there are lots of lively places within reach.
Careful dbd, but do you know you are sounding almost positive about Toronto? You might want to go back and edit some of these posts so that they sound just a little less nostalgic and positive...
Old Mar 9th 2012, 9:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh Jane and Finch ehh

Who is that I wonder? I work near there but I wouldn't be seen dead at night, or perhaps I mean I would be seen dead at night. It is getting better though.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by London Mike
Careful dbd, but do you know you are sounding almost positive about Toronto? You might want to go back and edit some of these posts so that they sound just a little less nostalgic and positive...
There are a fair few things I like about Toronto, the market and the restaurants especially. I don't think it's London and so I think being successful in Toronto will, for me, always feel a bit second rate, but it's better than Manchester or Birmingham or any of those places up there past that Watford.

I'm not sure where you get "nostalgic", I'm in Toronto several times a month, we shop at the market, and I still have the building so I'm still a property tax payer. I don't feel more or less attached to the town than I was when I could smell the Ashbridges Bay sewer outlet each day.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

There are a fair few things I like about Toronto, the market and the restaurants especially. I don't think it's London and so I think being successful in Toronto will, for me, always feel a bit second rate, but it's better than Manchester or Birmingham or any of those places up there past that Watford.

I'm not sure where you get "nostalgic", I'm in Toronto several times a month, we shop at the market, and I still have the building so I'm still a property tax payer. I don't feel more or less attached to the town than I was when I could smell the Ashbridges Bay sewer outlet each day.
There you go.
Old Mar 9th 2012, 12:59 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

There you go.
Hmm. I love the Smell of Sewage in the Morning.

<cue, Ride of the Valkyries>
Old Mar 9th 2012, 1:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

There you go.
Balanced view, innit? A rational appreciation of the city and the fact that it's the immigrants who make it, an understanding that it's interesting despite being in Canada, despite being ugly and flat, despite the built environment having the charm of Slough, because there aren't many Canadians there any more. It's a great place to be a blind gourmand.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.