Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Firefighter exchange from UK to Canada?

Firefighter exchange from UK to Canada?

Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

LFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really nice
Default Firefighter exchange from UK to Canada?

Hi all
I am a Canadian Citizen I have just sold my house in the UK & really want to make the move to Canada (anywhere!) I have 14 years Firefighting experience with NFPA qualifications as I work for the DND in the UK.

I don't want to leap without a job & a family to support- does anyone know of any transfers available?
Thanks for any advice!
Old Jul 20th 2010, 5:51 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Firefighter exchange from UK to Canada?

um -whats DND??

I would suggest you contact your HR department and the HR department of where you want to go to , to see if there is any transfer type thingy . .
Old Jul 20th 2010, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

LFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really niceLFC1 is just really nice

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
um -whats DND??

I would suggest you contact your HR department and the HR department of where you want to go to , to see if there is any transfer type thingy . .
Hi
Thanks already tried that - no joy if it was America I wanted to move to it would be fine as I work for the Americans in the UK! but as I am a Canadian Citizen & love the Country I would love to go back]
DND Is the Department of National Defence & I have tried there as well but so far not many jobs advertised!
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:16 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

City of Calgary has just opened up firefighter recruitment after a long dry spell:
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....ecruitment.htm
Old Mar 1st 2011, 6:44 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know whether you know but there's a lot of volunteer fire people here.

The higher up ones like the chiefs and so on are paid a salary but certainly in the smaller towns everyone else seems to be volunteer. So it may be worth concentrating your search on the larger areas.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 4:57 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
I don't know whether you know but there's a lot of volunteer fire people here.

The higher up ones like the chiefs and so on are paid a salary but certainly in the smaller towns everyone else seems to be volunteer. So it may be worth concentrating your search on the larger areas.
Most reasonable sized towns will propably have full time firefighters who will then be backed up by the volunteers. Ours doesn't but the town has only about 1500 residents. Truro, down the road with 20,000 have quite a few.
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

Thanks will look into it thanks I appreciate all the help!:
Old Mar 1st 2011, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute4d32ftw has a reputation beyond repute

kamloops firefighter recruitment has just opened up as well
Old Mar 1st 2011, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

Just saw this today out of Calgary....

(Calgary, March 1, 2011) – Looking for challenging and rewarding work that makes a profound and positive difference for our community? The Calgary Fire Department is kicking off its month-long search for qualified candidates to join its ranks.

Pending firefighter retirements, coupled with a number of new stations being constructed over the next year, means that there is a need for dedicated, community-minded men and women to continue to meet citizens’ needs for fire prevention and suppression.

“We need good-hearted, hard working people to continue the legacy that those before them have built,” said Deputy Chief Bjolverud of the Calgary Fire Department. “In fact, over the next ten years, up to 30 per cent of our uniformed personnel will be eligible for retirement.”

Although the Department continues to look for attributes such as strong athletic abilities and those with a teamwork mentality - there are a few notable changes to this year’s requirements and application process. These include: completion of CPR at a hospital care provider (HCP) level and a “closed” on-line applications process, which means candidates will have a certain time period to submit their applications and supporting documents. In the past, application intake was on-going.

“If someone has considered a career in firefighting before and meets the minimum requirements, I would encourage him or her to apply,” said Deputy Chief Bjolverud. “We have a 99 per cent citizen satisfaction rating, the lowest attrition of any job in civic service, and can offer candidates exciting and profoundly important work in a teamwork environment.”

You have the potential. Ignite it!

A non-mandatory information session in available on March 8 at 7 p.m. at the Calgary Fire Department’s Multi Agency Training Centre (5705-23 Avenue S.E.).

For more information on the application process, please visit www.calgary.ca/fire.
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

Great thanks - will give it a go fingers crossed!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by greenbwoy
Just saw this today out of Calgary....

(Calgary, March 1, 2011) – Looking for challenging and rewarding work that makes a profound and positive difference for our community? The Calgary Fire Department is kicking off its month-long search for qualified candidates to join its ranks.

Pending firefighter retirements, coupled with a number of new stations being constructed over the next year, means that there is a need for dedicated, community-minded men and women to continue to meet citizens’ needs for fire prevention and suppression.

“We need good-hearted, hard working people to continue the legacy that those before them have built,” said Deputy Chief Bjolverud of the Calgary Fire Department. “In fact, over the next ten years, up to 30 per cent of our uniformed personnel will be eligible for retirement.”

Although the Department continues to look for attributes such as strong athletic abilities and those with a teamwork mentality - there are a few notable changes to this year’s requirements and application process. These include: completion of CPR at a hospital care provider (HCP) level and a “closed” on-line applications process, which means candidates will have a certain time period to submit their applications and supporting documents. In the past, application intake was on-going.

“If someone has considered a career in firefighting before and meets the minimum requirements, I would encourage him or her to apply,” said Deputy Chief Bjolverud. “We have a 99 per cent citizen satisfaction rating, the lowest attrition of any job in civic service, and can offer candidates exciting and profoundly important work in a teamwork environment.”

You have the potential. Ignite it!

A non-mandatory information session in available on March 8 at 7 p.m. at the Calgary Fire Department’s Multi Agency Training Centre (5705-23 Avenue S.E.).

For more information on the application process, please visit www.calgary.ca/fire.
Many thanks for going to the trouble of sending me the info, it's really appreciated
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

MrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud ofMrGreen has much to be proud of

No worries. It was good timing actually. I finished reading your post and minutes later got that emailed to me. Weird.