Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding work in Probation in Canada

Finding work in Probation in Canada

Old May 10th 2017, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

angiefrangie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work in Probation in Canada

Hi, I'm a Probation Officer in the UK with over 15 years experience and two bachelor degrees in Criminology/Criminal Justice. My husband and I are looking at emigrating to Canada, British Columbia ideally, so I am looking for advice on how to find work. I've read the wiki, but the advice there seems to apply more to the private sector? I've also read on other threads that government jobs are only given to citizens or those with PR. But, wouldn't I need a job to get PR in the first place?! Just wondering whether anyone from the UK has succesfully found work in Probation in Canada, and has any advice?
Thank you in advance.

(Other info - I'm 36, husband is 40. He currently has his own business as a TV engineer. We have two children, 3yrs and 6m. I have first cousins who are Canadians living in Canada, no other connections).
Old May 11th 2017, 12:59 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding work in Probation in Canada

I think you are correct that government jobs can only be given to PRs or Citizens, not those on work permits.

Assuming that is the case, that gives you two options:
1) Work in a different field until you qualify and are granted PR, then get back into Probation work
2) See if you qualify for a route that would put you straight to PR - have you checked to see how many points you and your husband score using CRS? If you score over about 450 then you might be in with a chance.
Old May 11th 2017, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks SchnookoLoly. I haven't completed the CRS test, hadn't heard of it. I will look it up. We've completed other online assessments where we scored something like 97 points, where the threshold was above 65, so we thought that looked promising?
Old May 12th 2017, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Finding work in Probation in Canada

PM sent.
Old May 12th 2017, 2:34 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angiefrangie
Thanks SchnookoLoly. I haven't completed the CRS test, hadn't heard of it. I will look it up. We've completed other online assessments where we scored something like 97 points, where the threshold was above 65, so we thought that looked promising?
The 67 point was through FSW which has been folded into Express Entry. EE uses the CRS scoring system, you need to work out how many points you score using CRS and go from there.
Old May 12th 2017, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

In general probation officers are employed at a Provincial level, and as such applicants must meet the Provincial requirements for the province that you are considering, each is different. Manitoba is currently seeking Probation officers, and there are some carefully worded requirements. Basically if you are not indigenous then you will not be considered. Check out the listing attached
https://jobsearch.gov.mb.ca/search.action
Old May 12th 2017, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

There are also a few issues going on in Ontario right now, this hit the press earlier this week. So there may be a shake up there soon

Ontario’s probation system ‘a joke,’ say offenders | Globalnews.ca
Old May 12th 2017, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Dormy - thank you very much for the links. We have similar 'bad press' in the UK at times - very rarely is it a true reflection of the hard work that is done, which is a shame. Thanks for your information about POs being employed at Provincial level. We are looking at BC specifically. Many thanks again.
Old May 12th 2017, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
The 67 point was through FSW which has been folded into Express Entry. EE uses the CRS scoring system, you need to work out how many points you score using CRS and go from there.
Hi, I've just done the CRS. We haven't done a language test, so I guessed those answers. We also haven't had our qualifications approved, so guessed that too. We had a score of 434. But it didn't say whether that was any good or not? I will look in to it more though, thanks for the advice.
Old May 12th 2017, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

pontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond reputepontcanna has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a link to BC government jobs open to non-employees. Don't see any Probation jobs there at the moment, but worth checking periodically:

https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/...jobs_quick.cgi
Old May 12th 2017, 11:56 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

HI

Originally Posted by SchnookoLoly
1, Not quite right, You still need 67 points or more through FSW to be eligible to submit an expression of Interest under Express Entry, the EofI is then scored under the points available under CRS scoring system to see if you have sufficient points to be offered an ETA
Old May 13th 2017, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes as PMM says: you have to be eligible under the FSW eligibility/points grid (at least 67 points) otherwise you aren't eligible to make an Express entry profile under FSW.
Old May 13th 2017, 3:24 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

This may be of use

Link to cached version of criteria for becoming a Probation Officer in BC including internationally trained. (direct link to the word doc: https://search.employment.gov.bc.ca/..._Info_Pkg.docx. )

General info:
Adult Probation Officer | Justice Institute of British Columbia
Youth Probation Officer | Justice Institute of British Columbia

Last edited by Siouxie; May 13th 2017 at 3:27 pm.
Old May 13th 2017, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Here's a link to current staffing activity with the Government of Canada for parole officers (both institutional and community, across the country). It does note that preference will be given to veterans and Canadian citizens.

https://emploisfp-psjobs.cfp-psc.gc....?poster=947977