Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding work in Halifax around this time of year?

Finding work in Halifax around this time of year?

Old Oct 31st 2006, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

jman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding work in Halifax around this time of year?

Hi everyone, im new to the forums and first would like to say thankyou for all the information I've come across so far :-)

Im an Australian flying in to Montreal this week then after a few days I plan on going to Halifax. My question is,

"Will I be able to find work in bars/restaurants/labor/factory/anything?"

I have a working visa and am just curious as to the employment situation this time of year. Is there a better place to find work?

Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers, Jaz
Old Nov 1st 2006, 7:47 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding work in Halifax around this time of year?

Originally Posted by jman
Hi everyone, im new to the forums and first would like to say thankyou for all the information I've come across so far :-)

Im an Australian flying in to Montreal this week then after a few days I plan on going to Halifax. My question is,

I have a working visa and am just curious as to the employment situation this time of year. Is there a better place to find work?

Cheers, Jaz
Well it is coming up to Christmas so I think there's maybe a lot of bar type work coming up, I know their looking for temporary retailers in some places. But I don't know for certain.

Emma
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Cheers, Jaz
There is loads of work available at the moment in all sorts of places, try www.jobbank.gc.ca for general work,hotels, bars restaurants etc are all desperate for staff at the moment

Good luck
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, Jaz
What type of "working visa" do you have ? Is it an "open" work permit ? If not, then you will not be able to work full stop. If it is a work permit but is not open - you will be limited to the employer named on the permit.

It is very unlikely you will be able to find work with a work permit

Obviously, if you want to join the "illegal" fraternity then jobs will be available to you :scared:
Old Nov 1st 2006, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future

Cheers, Jaz
If you have an open work permit then there will certainly be temp work around through many of the local agencies. Advantage Personnel in Dartmouth usually has requirements for drivers and labourers. As stated above, this time of year also brings extra shop work and indeed bar work but you will be competing with the University crowd for this, which often drives salaries down towards minimum wage.

General rule for temp work in Halifax is if you want it and your flexible you’ll get something within the week!