British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Finding work in Halifax around this time of year? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/finding-work-halifax-around-time-year-405396/)

jman Oct 31st 2006 11:46 pm

Finding work in Halifax around this time of year?

Hi everyone, im new to the forums and first would like to say thankyou for all the information I've come across so far :-)

Im an Australian flying in to Montreal this week then after a few days I plan on going to Halifax. My question is,

"Will I be able to find work in bars/restaurants/labor/factory/anything?"

I have a working visa and am just curious as to the employment situation this time of year. Is there a better place to find work?

Any help is much appreciated.
Cheers, Jaz

or4ngecrush Nov 1st 2006 7:47 am

Re: Finding work in Halifax around this time of year?

Originally Posted by jman
Hi everyone, im new to the forums and first would like to say thankyou for all the information I've come across so far :-)

Im an Australian flying in to Montreal this week then after a few days I plan on going to Halifax. My question is,

I have a working visa and am just curious as to the employment situation this time of year. Is there a better place to find work?

Cheers, Jaz

Well it is coming up to Christmas so I think there's maybe a lot of bar type work coming up, I know their looking for temporary retailers in some places. But I don't know for certain.

Emma

charlie1 Nov 1st 2006 8:02 am

Cheers, Jaz

There is loads of work available at the moment in all sorts of places, try www.jobbank.gc.ca for general work,hotels, bars restaurants etc are all desperate for staff at the moment

Good luck

Almost Canadian Nov 1st 2006 8:56 am

Cheers, Jaz

What type of "working visa" do you have ? Is it an "open" work permit ? If not, then you will not be able to work full stop. If it is a work permit but is not open - you will be limited to the employer named on the permit.

It is very unlikely you will be able to find work with a work permit :mad:

Obviously, if you want to join the "illegal" fraternity then jobs will be available to you :scared:

torticat Nov 1st 2006 11:13 am

Cheers, Jaz

If you have an open work permit then there will certainly be temp work around through many of the local agencies. Advantage Personnel in Dartmouth usually has requirements for drivers and labourers. As stated above, this time of year also brings extra shop work and indeed bar work but you will be competing with the University crowd for this, which often drives salaries down towards minimum wage.

General rule for temp work in Halifax is if you want it and your flexible you’ll get something within the week!