Finding places to Rent from UK

Finding places to Rent from UK

Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:12 am
Just Joined

benji88uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding places to Rent from UK

Hey guys,

Im new here so please bear with me.

Me and my girlfriend have both had our Work visas approved and, after visiting a friend in Banff last year for a holiday have decided to give it a go ourselves. We pretty much have everything sorted the only problem is finding somewhere to live! There seem like a lot of good properties on Kijiji but it will not let me post from outside Canada. I've tried setting up a Canadian email address, i've tried free proxy servers which let me get as far as posting th ad and then errors occur. I've tried various other websites including Craigslist but had no luck.

Has anyone been in the same position? Is there a solution? I would ask my friend to post an ad for me with my contact details only he has now moved on and out of Canada.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions, I'm nervous about waiting until we arrive as it will be getting close to the start of the winter season and I imagine a lot of people will be in a similar position.

Thanks for reading guys
Ben
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:43 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finding places to Rent from UK

Can you not just stay in a hostel/hotel for a week and then do your searches then as you can go and view what's available then
Old Jul 13th 2014, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Hi Becki,

That is one option yes, I would have preferred having at least a short list of properties to view before arriving though if not something definite. Not being able to post ads on Kijiji is not only a problem for finding accommodation but it is the same whilst applying for jobs and looking at cars to buy.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 11:06 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benji88uk
Hi Becki,

That is one option yes, I would have preferred having at least a short list of properties to view before arriving though if not something definite. Not being able to post ads on Kijiji is not only a problem for finding accommodation but it is the same whilst applying for jobs and looking at cars to buy.
Can you not just contact landlords/hosts with the kind of accommodation you are looking for and that are advertising. There appears to be a lot if demand for rentals so chances are putting an ad out on what your looking for won't get much interest as landlords will already have interest from other people.

When are you heading out anyway. I'm starting my search for jobs and accommodation in August for when I head out September. I have heard that a lot of people got no responses for jobs if they were emailing 2 -3 months in advance.

With the winter seasons, I'm not sure about bang but whistler job fair isn't until end of September to start in November ( although the online applications will be opening soon).

Unless you need a car straight away as soon as you get there, that can wait a few weeks. Accommodation and jobs as I said a month before you head out maybe
Old Jul 13th 2014, 11:19 am
Just Joined

We also head out in September. I guess your right I was just looking at finding a way to make short lists. Looks like we will just have to wait until we arrive to get sorted.

Thanks for your help
Old Jul 13th 2014, 11:33 am
Bex in the city

Your welcome. It's worth trying beforehand as you never know and you don't have anything to lose. But just be prepared that it may have to wait until nearer the time or when your out there.

Good luck
Old Jul 13th 2014, 4:08 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a landlord in a resort community, and unless you're local to the area, or able to meet and view the property within a few days, I won't make appointments weeks or months ahead. It's too vague, and too many prospective tenants fail to follow through and show up. Unfortunately IEC visa holders trying to secure accommodation from overseas are often the least reliable.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 4:24 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Becki, hop everything works out for you too! Is it whistler you're heading to?

Cheers Rich, I guess that's understandable. Just a little nervous. I'm sure it'll all work out.

I appreciate all your help guys
Old Jul 13th 2014, 4:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with RICH. Also, take care when seeking renal properties on-line. Not all are real. I would not rent to someone I had not met so I would be very skeptical of a landlord who will do it all sight unseen.

Never send money unless you are 100% sure of who you are dealing with. Even if the landlord is legitimate their descriptions and carefully chosen photos do not always represent what the place is actually like. Most rental contracts are for a year so if you have signed a contract but arrive to see that the landlord forgot to mention the nightclub next door, the building site across the road and the abattoir out the back, you are stuck.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 6:53 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Best to get a hotel/motel room as property goes quick here, basically everyone when looking to move puts their notice in and as to move by the first of the following month. You just need to scour craigslist and hit the ground running and try and fit in as many properties per day as possible and before you know it you will find somewhere.

I would not recommend agreeing to anything sight unseen as per any area there are flea pits and reasonable rentals.
Old Jul 13th 2014, 7:37 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by benji88uk
Thanks Becki, hop everything works out for you too! Is it whistler you're heading to?
No I don't think so ( at least it's not my intention right now) just I thought as you were looking at banff it was perhaps a similar set up with finding jobs/accommodation etc

The post above mentions moving in on 1st of the month. Is it possible to get rooms (in shared houses) mid month or is it more likely it will be on the 1st unless they can't get someone in...?
Old Jul 13th 2014, 8:03 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
No I don't think so ( at least it's not my intention right now) just I thought as you were looking at banff it was perhaps a similar set up with finding jobs/accommodation etc

The post above mentions moving in on 1st of the month. Is it possible to get rooms (in shared houses) mid month or is it more likely it will be on the 1st unless they can't get someone in...?
If is a share and someone is breaking their tenancy perhaps but living and having searched for rentals the 1st of the month thing tends to be the norm.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 4:13 pm

TheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond reputeTheThornes has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that trying to find a long term rental before you arrive could be unwise as you never completely know what you're getting. Always best to view first. If you're looking at Banff, there's lots of holiday apartments there - perhaps arrange to rent one of those for a few weeks to give you a chance to look at potential rental properties. Have a look on VRBO - The Most Popular Vacation Rental Site in the US - theres lots on there for Banff.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

rustrash is an unknown quantity at this point

I am finding it very hard finding rent from the UK. Also have found if you message somone on Kijiji they will not get your message as you are outside of Canada.
Old Jul 16th 2014, 6:50 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rustrash
I am finding it very hard finding rent from the UK. Also have found if you message somone on Kijiji they will not get your message as you are outside of Canada.
Look at it from a landlords perspective. Why would I rent to someone I've never met, or has no job here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.