Reload this Page >

Finding a job from the UK...

Finding a job from the UK...

Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:08 pm
Just Joined

adamfozz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Finding a job from the UK...

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum. I have been following different threads for quite some time now but this is my first post. I am hoping to emigrate to the Toronto area of Canada. My wife and I are very much in the planning stage of the process and just about have our heads around the systems in place to allow permanent entry into then country but I have a question about Jobs which I cant seem to answer despite trawling through the threads.

I have read the various posts about other people stories and the differences between UK and Canadian processes. I just wondered if anyone has ever found a job from the UK. I mean, is it possible do you think to find a position, apply, do an over the phone interview and then perhaps a face to face to confirm everything? The reason I ask is because the plan was to go over on a Work visa and the convert to a permanent residence once over there. As far as I can tell this is the only way to do it unless you have significant amounts of funds in the bank allowing you to move, set up and then think about locating work afterwards.

I realise that this site probably has a lot of repetition but I hope you don't mind answering my questions.

Thanks
Adam
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

anniepony is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Finding a job from the UK...

Hi,
Yes it's possible. We started looking into moving to Saskatchewan in January this year. OH had job interview over the phone at the beginning of June and found out last week that the LMO has been approved. Now just waiting for the formal offer to come through then planning to go out on a TWP, then apply for PR. I must admit, I can't believe it is really happening and never thought it could be so quick. Mind you, we still need to sell house etc.........
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by anniepony
Hi,
Yes it's possible. We started looking into moving to Saskatchewan in January this year. OH had job interview over the phone at the beginning of June and found out last week that the LMO has been approved. Now just waiting for the formal offer to come through then planning to go out on a TWP, then apply for PR. I must admit, I can't believe it is really happening and never thought it could be so quick. Mind you, we still need to sell house etc.........
Excellent, Well done to you! I have sold my house so that is a plus point.

If you don't mind me asking, which area do you work in and at what level (manager, director etc). If you have any advise on where you looked for positions that would be great. I have been looking at the Canadian version of the chartered institute of purchasing as I hope to work in purchasing like I do in the UK. But I keep thinking that maybe there are job sites which cater specifically for immigrants since surely a lot of the companies who advertise would be reluctant to go through the extra work to take on an immigrant.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Adam
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:53 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by adamfozz
Excellent, Well done to you! I have sold my house so that is a plus point.

If you don't mind me asking, which area do you work in and at what level (manager, director etc). If you have any advise on where you looked for positions that would be great. I have been looking at the Canadian version of the chartered institute of purchasing as I hope to work in purchasing like I do in the UK. But I keep thinking that maybe there are job sites which cater specifically for immigrants since surely a lot of the companies who advertise would be reluctant to go through the extra work to take on an immigrant.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Adam
Don't know of any sites specifically aimed at recruiting immigrants. Don't think that would wash in trying to get an LMO as companies have to try and find Canadians or PRs to do the job first.

Quite a few have found jobs from the UK. I found my job from the UK (sort of). It is worth coming to Canada to visit first and have some first hand knowledge of the country. Applying for a job in Canada and wanting to move here without visiting first can be a big gamble for some, especially employers. Moving countries is not for all and not always the romantic adventure it may seem before one has left their home country.

Read the Wiki on Job Hunting in Canada
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Don't know of any sites specifically aimed at recruiting immigrants. Don't think that would wash in trying to get an LMO as companies have to try and find Canadians or PRs to do the job first.

Quite a few have found jobs from the UK. I found my job from the UK (sort of). It is worth coming to Canada to visit first and have some first hand knowledge of the country. Applying for a job in Canada and wanting to move here without visiting first can be a big gamble for some, especially employers. Moving countries is not for all and not always the romantic adventure it may seem before one has left their home country.

Read the Wiki on Job Hunting in Canada
Hi there, Thanks for the reply.
I have read many of the threads in the Job Hunting Wiki. There's alot of good information and I think I could do a good job of selling myself as I have good experience in my area here in the UK. The biggest barrier is getting your foot in the door and getting that interview. And this is where I can totally sympathise with the Canadian employer. Why would you go to the trouble of interviewing someone who, perhaps needs to move when you could take on local people.

I understand the point of "why wouldn't they if you were the best person for the Job but still it seems like they have to commit an awful lot.

Certainly inst a pipe dream. Considering all of our options at the moment, but this is something we have wanted to do for some time. I will certainly be getting over there before committing to anything.

Adam
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, Thanks for the reply.
I have read many of the threads in the Job Hunting Wiki. There's alot of good information and I think I could do a good job of selling myself as I have good experience in my area here in the UK. The biggest barrier is getting your foot in the door and getting that interview. And this is where I can totally sympathise with the Canadian employer. Why would you go to the trouble of interviewing someone who, perhaps needs to move when you could take on local people.

I understand the point of "why wouldn't they if you were the best person for the Job but still it seems like they have to commit an awful lot.

Certainly inst a pipe dream. Considering all of our options at the moment, but this is something we have wanted to do for some time. I will certainly be getting over there before committing to anything.

Adam
They don't have a choice. local or immigrant. If there is local labour that is suitably qualified, then a LMO won't be issued. This is the law.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

anniepony is an unknown quantity at this point

OH is truck mechanic which there seems to be a big shortage of. We were lucky enough to find a contact through BE who works for the company, and put us in contact with them. We have been very lucky, lets just hope everything else falls into place.
Many people think we are mad as we have never visited Canada despite talking wbout it for many years, however, we are both ex-sevice and have moved round all our lives so have particular ties to one place. We are open minded about the move and are very much looking forward to the challenge.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

What do you actually do, are you sure you need a job offer to get a visa?
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

OH is truck mechanic which there seems to be a big shortage of. We were lucky enough to find a contact through BE who works for the company, and put us in contact with them. We have been very lucky, lets just hope everything else falls into place.
Many people think we are mad as we have never visited Canada despite talking wbout it for many years, however, we are both ex-sevice and have moved round all our lives so have particular ties to one place. We are open minded about the move and are very much looking forward to the challenge.
Thats interesting. I can see your point about moving around in the past. I myself lived in about 16 different houses whilst I was growing up. Granted they were all in the UK, but if you are used to moving around I think that is one less thing to worry about.

Hopefully someone on here might see this and point me towards an employer! Im currently a Group Buyer for a European manufacturer with 6 years purchasing experiance and my Wife is a recent graduate in Environmental Science. She also has some teaching experience amongst other things. I think she is most interested in working in the area of sustainability, perhaps in the public sector or for a private company who currently hasn't explored the area of environmental responsibility.

Adam
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What do you actually do, are you sure you need a job offer to get a visa?
See above!

We have enough points to get in but I dont think we have enough savings to move before securing work...The risk would be too great I think.

Adam
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:28 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

See above!

We have enough points to get in but I dont think we have enough savings to move before securing work...The risk would be too great I think.

Adam
Points are only relevant to a Skilled Worker visa though - and that's only one visa route out of over 50!

Any chance of a transfer through your current job, do they have offices in Canada? If not, does it have to be Ontario you go to or would you consider another province? Any family in Canada? What have you or your wife done previously i.e. over the past 10 years?

It may be that a job offer is your only option, but just thought I'd check in case you do have another route open to you.

Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

If he got a job he could work and would get the same money but would have to take the red seal exam for truck mechanic then they will fast track your PR
There is big money to be made in the oil fields for truck mechanics see other threads
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:32 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by pacepeter
If he got a job he could work and would get the same money but would have to take the red seal exam for truck mechanic then they will fast track your PR
There is big money to be made in the oil fields for truck mechanics see other threads
Sorry, but just have to correct this - PR will not be 'fast tracked' just because an applicant has the Red Seal. Red Seal isn't actually required for a PR application.

Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Points are only relevant to a Skilled Worker visa though - and that's only one visa route out of over 50! Although the bit about not having enough savings would be a concern tbh, the amount of 'proof of funds' required by CIC is usually considered to be on the low side and you've got to add your visa/moving costs (at least £10k for most people) on to that.

Any chance of a transfer through your current job, do they have offices in Canada? If not, does it have to be Ontario you go to or would you consider another province? Any family in Canada? What have you or your wife done previously i.e. over the past 10 years?

It may be that a job offer is your only option, but just thought I'd check in case you do have another route open to you.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Yea, as I say. I dont think its so much that we need a job offer before going but my thinking is...If you have one before you go you have secured income.

I have been working for the past 6 years and before that I was a student. I have also been studying towards and have now achieved membership into the chartered institute of purchasing and supply...I have made enquiries to see if I could convert this to the Canadian version but have not heard back yet. My wife was training to be a retail manager and has worked in bars etc, until she started her degree 3 years ago. Whist studying she has done some teaching work and has a qualification allowing her to teach at college (college uk that is (ie 16, 17, 18 year olds).

We are doing some hard saving to make money and we have started a budget to ensure we know exactly when we can afford to make the move. As I said, we are currently working on the proviso that we wont be without some sort of income for any length of time.

My company is pan European so there is no chance of a transfer. We were hoping for Ontario, why what are your thoughts? Are there areas with better job prospects or something?

Adam
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:46 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Yea, as I say. I dont think its so much that we need a job offer before going but my thinking is...If you have one before you go you have secured income.
Not sure I'd count a job on a TWP as 'secured income' - we've seen too many people on this forum have to return to the UK after being made redundant on a TWP. But I know what you mean, and realised after I'd typed that you meant just not spending savings whilst job hunting, rather than to get set up out there. So as long as you've got the amount you'd need for moving and getting settled, you'd be fine with a job.

My wife was training to be a retail manager and has worked in bars etc, until she started her degree 3 years ago.
Was she ever a bar/restaurant manager by any chance? Forget about the teaching side of things, have a read of this to understand why that is incredibly unlikely to get her a job offer..............http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada

We were hoping for Ontario, why what are your thoughts? Are there areas with better job prospects or something?
Presume you've visited Ontario before and have a specific reason for choosing there? If so, then it doesn't matter but I just wondered if you'd consider a more open province such as MB or NS, where you don't need a job offer to apply for PR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.