Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finding apartments: useful websites? where to live?

Finding apartments: useful websites? where to live?

Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Moops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud of
Default Finding apartments: useful websites? where to live?

Hello,
Could anyone tell me of any websites that I should use for finding a apartment in Toronto? I know from experience here that there are usually a few gems amongst lots of rubbish websites..any tips would be appreciated.

I am moving to Toronto next month and although I have temporary accomodation sorted can anyone advise where would be nice to live? My work is based in the financial district.
Thanks
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Finding apartments: useful websites? where to live?

Originally Posted by Moops
Hello,
Could anyone tell me of any websites that I should use for finding a apartment in Toronto? I know from experience here that there are usually a few gems amongst lots of rubbish websites..any tips would be appreciated.

I am moving to Toronto next month and although I have temporary accomodation sorted can anyone advise where would be nice to live? My work is based in the financial district.
Thanks
Look at MLS: http://www.mls.ca/map.aspx?AreaID=6248 They aggregate many realtors properties, so you get to see the majority of property for sale in one hit.
Can't advise on areas of Toronto, sorry. I only know the airport and the 401!
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Thanks

i found my place on www.viewit.ca

great website
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:38 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Buying or renting??
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by celine_uk
i found my place on www.viewit.ca

great website

renting
Old Aug 27th 2006, 11:55 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thanks

viewit is the main site, how much do you have in mind to spend?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Moops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud ofMoops has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dbd33
viewit is the main site, how much do you have in mind to spend?
Thanks for the site. My budget is a max of $2000 per month. I am hoping to get a place with two bedrooms for this.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 1:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the site. My budget is a max of $2000 per month. I am hoping to get a place with two bedrooms for this.
Easy.

What I would do is to take a place short term along the harbour somewhere or around the St Lawrence market; some sort of sublet. Look in the window of the estate agent by the island ferry dock. From there you might be able to walk to work but, if not, it's not far by tram. Once living somewhere you can check out neighbourhoods (though neither of those are rough spots and you might very well want to stay). Yonge and Eg (Young and Elig as they say) is a meat market area a subway ride from work, that might appeal. I like the beach, my daughter's looking for a two bedroom there at the moment and has found that at her budget, $1200, some trudging is required (lots of places are rented only by sign in the window) so $2,000 would be lots. It's an ethnic ghetto though; very much English and Irish and, like High Park, it means commuting by tram, not subway.

Then there's Boystown, Little Italy, Greektown, the Danforth....... lots of possibilities depending on your tastes. Not only in bars, but in structures; Y&E, Harbourfront, Market are all apartment buildings, in the Beach or High Park half a house with a some garden is an option but it's an option that comes with a snow shoveling obligation. Taking something central on a three or six month sublet would provide time to consider all of this.

Oh, if you have no taste there's also the suburbs. The GO train goes there.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

$2000 a month, very easy
Old Aug 28th 2006, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by celine_uk
$2000 a month, very easy
Thanks to all for the tips and websites - I found the realtor website very amusing - how different from the UK!! Now I am not only addicted to this site but house hunting as well.