Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Finally landed / Problem Opening Bank Acc

Finally landed / Problem Opening Bank Acc

Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future
Default Re: Finally landed / Problem Opening Bank Acc

Originally Posted by Aviator
Until you have an account - Never again!
Aviator, can I ask why, what you mean please? The reason I ask is because I was planning on opening an account with them when I arrive as it really seemed the simplest option (no other reason - just easy to get banking and credit from the off). Would like to hear of possible problems and if they are too much will just go to one of the usual banks.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:32 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Violets are blue
Aviator, can I ask why, what you mean please? The reason I ask is because I was planning on opening an account with them when I arrive as it really seemed the simplest option (no other reason - just easy to get banking and credit from the off). Would like to hear of possible problems and if they are too much will just go to one of the usual banks.
It did not work for me. I prefer my RBC VIP account, which encompasses all I need and can be easily dealt with with no extra charges, including my credit cards. Much more personal and less trouble. If I have a problem, I can go into the bank, they know who I am and I can sort it out there and then with ease.

PC is a virtual bank administered through CIBC I believe. Staples did something like it years ago and did not like that either. I still have a few hindered in PC and they are not making it easy to get ti out without charging me to do so.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:25 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

I prefer my RBC VIP account, which encompasses all I need and can be easily dealt with with no extra charges, including my credit cards.
Has RBC also started doing fee free accounts?
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Has RBC also started doing fee free accounts?
No idea.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:23 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

No idea.
oh I thought thats what you implied in your post
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Violets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant futureViolets are blue has a brilliant future

It did not work for me. I prefer my RBC VIP account, which encompasses all I need and can be easily dealt with with no extra charges, including my credit cards. Much more personal and less trouble. If I have a problem, I can go into the bank, they know who I am and I can sort it out there and then with ease.

PC is a virtual bank administered through CIBC I believe. Staples did something like it years ago and did not like that either. I still have a few hindered in PC and they are not making it easy to get ti out without charging me to do so.
Thanks for that Aviator, I appreciate your response, I guess I will look into things a little more in depth with regard to banks/banking. Thanks again
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:21 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been with PC Financial for the last couple of years, and have no complaints whatsoever.
I've seen that BMO are now offering free banking too.

Not sure why you're struggling to get your money out Aviator- you simply go to an ATM, insert your card, type in your pin, and take your money out.... you only get charged if you use an ATM through another bank. Only thing I can think of is that you're talking about a savings account?

Not sure why anyone would agree to pay to use a bank. The whole point of banks is that they pay you, not the other way round.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:24 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
oh I thought thats what you implied in your post
VIP is $30 per month before any discounts so no I don't think so.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

yzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really niceyzf.shaun is just really nice

I got the account opened on Monday without issue. I had my COPR and then I also printed the operational bulletin from the CIC website which stated the new form replaces IMM 5292.

I didn't really look into Scotia but RBC were offering free for 12 months and unsecured credit card. So I figure after 12 months I can swap to a free banking option. This was more the credit card I was interested in.
Old Jun 22nd 2012, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by Tangram
VIP is $30 per month before any discounts so no I don't think so.
$35 now, does include a safety deposit box, no extra charge for most banking though, better FX rates than other accounts, Visa Infinite cards. If you use a lot of bank services, it is cheaper than paying individual service fees.
Old Jun 24th 2012, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

CanadianDreams is an unknown quantity at this point

We had no problems setting up bank account with RBC, took our passports with the copr stapled in, and UK driving licence as id, i did make an appointment to do this but they were very helpful and very straightforward and came out with two temporary cashcards.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 1:20 am
active again

amherstburgmac is an unknown quantity at this point

CIBC were the only bank that would give us credit and a mortgage when we arrived. The listened to our story and treated us like customers. TD and RBC didn't. I understand that ScotiaB are also understanding.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 5:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amherstburgmac
CIBC were the only bank that would give us credit and a mortgage when we arrived. The listened to our story and treated us like customers. TD and RBC didn't. I understand that ScotiaB are also understanding.
It's down to the branches you deal with, and your specific circumstances, isn't it? To broad brush all the banks with a positive or negative spin is meaningless.
Old Jun 25th 2012, 9:36 pm
active again

amherstburgmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe...
Old Jun 25th 2012, 11:04 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amherstburgmac
Maybe...
How does my experience of RBC offering me a commercial mortgage, credit line and bank accounts as a non-resident with no job or guaranteed income relate to other immigrants experience of struggling to open a basic checking account with the same bank? It obviously doesn't - it's very branch/relationship dependent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.