British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Finally! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/finally-328452/)

Atlantic Xpat Sep 28th 2005 1:26 pm

Finally!

Without getting involved in the various debates on selling houses at the moment, I just need to have a quick......

WOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I completed the sale of my house in UK today. Almost 1 year since going on the market and 10 months after I moved to Canada. The feeling of relief not to have to worry about two mortgages is incredible.

Now all I have to do is lament the collapse in exchange rates since May when it was first sold. But there's bugger all I can do about that so I'm not going to spend much time on it and think about celebrating instead! :beer: :beer:

AX

Woodstock62 Sep 28th 2005 3:14 pm

Re: Finally!

Hooray!!!!!

What a relief for you and just think what you can do with all that money you'll be saving! Lol. I'll help you spend it if you like ;)

themadstans Sep 28th 2005 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Without getting involved in the various debates on selling houses at the moment, I just need to have a quick......

WOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because I completed the sale of my house in UK today. Almost 1 year since going on the market and 10 months after I moved to Canada. The feeling of relief not to have to worry about two mortgages is incredible.

AX

Well done. What a relief for you. Must have been a nightmare. I think you deserve a beer! Think I'll join you :beer:

andy_sheila Sep 28th 2005 5:07 pm

WOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now all I have to do is lament the collapse in exchange rates since May when it was first sold. But there's bugger all I can do about that so I'm not going to spend much time on it and think about celebrating instead! :beer: :beer:

AX

Congratulations XP, do you have a Uk bank account still? you could put the money in ther and sit on it until the rate goes back up (if you can afford to)
a bit risky i know but they can't go down much more and are very likely to go back up.

rossandvi Sep 28th 2005 6:36 pm

WOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AX

Great news well done :beer:

SAW 04 Sep 28th 2005 6:39 pm

Well done. We know how it feels, we were waiting for 12 months to complete following the initial offer. Dont even think about the exchange rate, it'll drive you crazy. Enjoy your :beer:

SAW 04

WOHOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AX

Atlantic Xpat Sep 28th 2005 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Congratulations XP, do you have a Uk bank account still? you could put the money in ther and sit on it until the rate goes back up (if you can afford to)
a bit risky i know but they can't go down much more and are very likely to go back up.

Yeah, I can afford to leave a good part of it in my UK bank account. Need to do the maths of interest in UK on savings (greater than interest in Canada) vs interest on mortgage vs what is going to happen to the exchange rate and when! Its a nicer problem than worrying about paying the mortgage in UK from an income in Canada!

FWIW we are going through our budgetting cycle at work & exchange rate predictions (based alledgedly on bank predictions) are for 2.1 to the GBP for the balance of 05 and into 06 rising to 2.2 by the end of the year. Not the best news & who knows whether its right or not!

andy_sheila Sep 28th 2005 10:17 pm

who knows whether its right or not!

Whatever the experts opinion it's still going to be a calculated risk. Of course if you had unlimited time to sit on it, there's very little risk, because it will eventually rise at some point.

best of luck to you all.