Wikiposts

Final Post

Old Aug 16th 2004, 12:51 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Final Post

Originally Posted by simonhouse
I have decided to retire from this forum as I have nothing useful to contribute.

For those of you who have followed my posts, you'll know life has been less than perfect for me in Canada and it's impossible to comment on anything without bringing in that negativity.

So time to give you all a break! I might come back eventually to post updates, but we'll see. It seems to have turned into a bash UK forum rather than Canadian lifestyle, and that's not for me since I disagree with most of what the anti-Brits say.

Final bit of advice - the only way you'll find out if you like this country is to live in it for yourself.

Good luck.
You can't leave me...... :scared:

I will be the only one holding out for the UK "on the dark side..."
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I agree with what everyone has said so far.........don't go.....people need to know how it really is and not how they want it to be. It is hard and emigration is not always fun, balanced opinions are needed.

JJ
Old Aug 16th 2004, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

lancs lass is an unknown quantity at this point

Simon
Just catching up with postings as have had visitors for the past two weeks. Sorry to see you quitting the forum - I know things have been tough but as others have said it's good to have someone who can bring things down to earth and show that not everything in the expat garden is rosey. Hope you will change your mind or at least post occasionally. I'll PM just in case you want to keep in touch.
Old Aug 16th 2004, 5:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future
Talking Re: Final Post

Originally Posted by daisymoll
I really agree with Corky, having lived in NS. We certainly thought, huh "What do they know?" to all the people who advised us to give it more time, try another province. I so wish we had done that instead of returning to the UK. The UK is a great place and I sure wish that people who lived here would realise that, but alas they won't in the majority, which makes living here a struggle to be positive. I think the UK that I really missed when I was in NS was the UK when I was growing up as i had a very happy childhood etc. Everything that pissed us off though before we moved to Canada was still here upon our return and was Much worse in many cases (Especially yob culture).

I really imagine that we were much the same as you this time last year and I remember feeling the same way when people just continually bashed the UK but unfortuneately many of those people turned out to be right in some way.
Funny I was just saying that today to my cousin in Wallasy........I miss the UK but it is only the past I miss, So I'm going over and having one great big reunion with family I have been E-mailing these past months.
I know after a couple of weeks I will wont to come back (my father-in law says after three days relitives are like fish they start to smell "lol") .......
Old Aug 17th 2004, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
I really agree with Corky, having lived in NS. We certainly thought, huh "What do they know?" to all the people who advised us to give it more time, try another province. I so wish we had done that instead of returning to the UK. The UK is a great place and I sure wish that people who lived here would realise that, but alas they won't in the majority, which makes living here a struggle to be positive. I think the UK that I really missed when I was in NS was the UK when I was growing up as i had a very happy childhood etc. Everything that pissed us off though before we moved to Canada was still here upon our return and was Much worse in many cases (Especially yob culture).

I really imagine that we were much the same as you this time last year and I remember feeling the same way when people just continually bashed the UK but unfortuneately many of those people turned out to be right in some way.
THere' another threafd on this subject by another Simon at http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...67#post1604967

where the $1000 cure was used.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 5:41 am
#include

simonhouse is an unknown quantity at this point

A few of you have successfully proven my point - it didn't take long for this thread to aquire a little moderate debate regarding 'how bad things are in the UK'.

Anyway - thanks for all the positive comments, if you can crack the weak encoding in my signature, feel free to drop me an email at any time. I also plan to start using my blog a little more with all the extra time I'll have not debating the same thing over and over again on BritishExpats!

Old Aug 17th 2004, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Chester Copperpot is on a distinguished road

A few of you have successfully proven my point - it didn't take long for this thread to aquire a little moderate debate regarding 'how bad things are in the UK'.

Anyway - thanks for all the positive comments, if you can crack the weak encoding in my signature, feel free to drop me an email at any time. I also plan to start using my blog a little more with all the extra time I'll have not debating the same thing over and over again on BritishExpats!

I see on your blog your into mame. Another point to cheer you up, the best cabinets (candy cabs) are much cheaper in Canada and are very rare in the UK. Cost me $1900 including shipping (excluding pc and jpac/arcadevga).
Old Aug 17th 2004, 9:44 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Really? On this thread?

Actually I've felt that there's been quite a lot of Canada bashing than UK bashing in recent times on the forum but there you go I guess it's just down to our own perception and maybe our sensitivities.
Old Aug 17th 2004, 10:28 am
squarepants

Obvious you are not too happy at the way things are going for you in Canada, and you make that known in your own way. The field you are in, is a tough one, and you can get frustrated and down, when you can get your foot through the door, or land something similar to the one you were doing in the UK.

Anyway.....I will checkout your blog every now and then, when I get a chance. Your sig, is it making reference to this,(http://simon.hosting.bowdata.net/trans.jpg) by any chance?

Old Aug 18th 2004, 12:42 pm
Glaswegian

Originally Posted by stepnek
Actually I've felt that there's been quite a lot of Canada bashing than UK bashing in recent times on the forum but there you go I guess it's just down to our own perception and maybe our sensitivities.
Reality is a tough thing to comprehend, sometimes it sucks, sometimes it doesn't.

People are becoming way too sensitive on this forum - there's bashing and there's facing up to reality. Canada isn't perfect, neither is the UK, but I really don't want my Canadian experience to turn into a repeat of my own UK experience.

Anyone who expects a utopia in Canada is being unrealistic, it's a real country, with real people, sorry. Good honest debate and good honest criticism are rare and valuable things to have access to - enjoy them while you've got access to them.

Old Aug 18th 2004, 2:49 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

It's sad to see someone like Simon experience difficulties and become demoralized after going through so much effort to get here. I can't tell him what to do, but I think he should give things a shot elsewhere in Calgary or elsewhere in Canada before throwing in the towel.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:04 pm
Glaswegian

Ditto

Old Aug 18th 2004, 3:50 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Glaswegian
Ditto
Try BC - just because I hate the place doesn't mean you will! Actually. the neighbourhood is looking up - two more Brit families on my street - yeah! I can also recommend two nice watering holes round here.
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:02 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by dingbat
Try BC - just because I hate the place doesn't mean you will! Actually. the neighbourhood is looking up - two more Brit families on my street - yeah! I can also recommend two nice watering holes round here.
You hinted that you would be leaving BC for possibly Ontario, is that true?
Old Aug 18th 2004, 4:07 pm
Cynically amused.

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
You hinted that you would be leaving BC for possibly Ontario, is that true?
Yes, it is very true. I may be moving with the CF, as husband to be is entering as a social worker and there are no posts here. I have also been talking to a couple of employers out there who lift my spirits with their progressive thinking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.