Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

FIFTY ONE MONTHS!! .... Gulp

FIFTY ONE MONTHS!! .... Gulp

Old Sep 15th 2006, 1:13 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default FIFTY ONE MONTHS!! .... Gulp

This link was posted on a yahoo group I belong to. It is a bit daunting (I can see why Australia/NZ is getting popular!)

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...1-all.html#all

80% of cases processed in 51 months in London (so 20% will take more than 4¼ years?!), but only 15 months in Vienna and 16 in Berlin....

Clare
Old Sep 15th 2006, 2:47 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: FIFTY ONE MONTHS!! .... Gulp

Originally Posted by ClareBC
This link was posted on a yahoo group I belong to. It is a bit daunting (I can see why Australia/NZ is getting popular!)

80% of cases processed in 51 months in London (so 20% will take more than 4¼ years?!), but only 15 months in Vienna and 16 in Berlin....

Clare

Or apply for Quebec and it can be 15 days accordiing to Canada2006
Old Sep 15th 2006, 4:16 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Grah
Or apply for Quebec and it can be 15 days accordiing to Canada2006
15 months more like!

6 months to apply for your CSQ
9 months for the federal application

Acually think it's quicker in the UK that where we are.

All you need is some French, but they're less strict on proof of funds etc. I didn't even have to prove I could speak French, although I have spent 7 years in French speaking countries...
Old Sep 15th 2006, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
15 months more like!

6 months to apply for your CSQ
9 months for the federal application

Acually think it's quicker in the UK that where we are.

All you need is some French, but they're less strict on proof of funds etc. I didn't even have to prove I could speak French, although I have spent 7 years in French speaking countries...
15 months, I better start learning French. BTW if I did 'O' level French at school, will that be of help in the application process?
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:23 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Thoses processing times are crazy - I thought they were supposed to be going down, not up! Many people will be put off coming here, people Canada probably needs.

I notice Austria and Germany are getting their applications through in far less time - Teutonic efficiency or just lots more people wanting to leave the UK compared to Germany?
Old Sep 16th 2006, 2:48 am
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
15 months, I better start learning French. BTW if I did 'O' level French at school, will that be of help in the application process?
You need to do the self test:

http://206.162.174.213/dpi/index.jsp?languageCode=en

and/or contact the Québec office in London:

http://www.mri.gouv.qc.ca/london/en/

My gut feeling is that you need to be able to work in French to be accepted. Again, like the federal application, it's points based so if you have a particular skill the language need my be reduced.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tidge
Thoses processing times are crazy - I thought they were supposed to be going down, not up! Many people will be put off coming here, people Canada probably needs.

I notice Austria and Germany are getting their applications through in far less time - Teutonic efficiency or just lots more people wanting to leave the UK compared to Germany?
Anyone would think we Brits are not wanted, having said that if you are Turkish, Romainian or Russian your lot is worse than ours. It is quite demoralising though, especiallly when you are about to start the process
Old Sep 16th 2006, 1:34 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Clare
It makes more sense to look at processing times for specific visa types,eg for skilled federal:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/departm...illed-fed.html

Also note that London processes cases from the Gulf States (mostly non-citizens of these jurisdictions).

But overall - it's a mess. It's probable that most people who can get into Australia as well find it quite easy to make up their minds about where to go after taking one look at these processing times.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 6:31 am
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

Clare

I see that we were very, very lucky, and I feel for everyone who has been waiting longer, and especially for those applying now.

I applied May '05 as an entrepreneur to go to Campbell River, BC, my wife has relatives there and it seems a nice town. AOR July '05 30 months, which I thought was ridiculous, so also applied for business PNP in BC Feb '06. It would have been done by Sept, but our medical requests arrived in June, so it was put on hold. Meds sent to London July and PPR arrived Friday, although we first had a letter in August thanking us for our application and saying we might hear from them in 42 months - I nearly had kittens!

The worst part was the total lack of communication from Canada House, I emailed and faxed asking for clarification about the letter but never got an answer until the PPR arrived. I still don't know (or care really) if our application just went through as it should, or if it was expedited because of the PNP approval, or because the Development Corporation in Campbell River asked the local MP for help, and she emailed CIC on our behalf.

It was all very frustrating, but even more so when compared to the experience of friends who went to New Zealand. The wife applied for a work permit as a teacher in November, and went in January to be joined at Easter by hubby and the kids, and they got their residency last month. All the way through the process they had a case officer that they could deal with!

Anyway, good luck to those still waiting.

badandy
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:36 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tidge
The UK also hadles applications from a number of other countries so maybe thats the reason ?
Old Sep 18th 2006, 12:53 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bad.andy
The worst part was the total lack of communication from Canada House........
Hardly surprising. The immigration people aren't in Canada House.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 3:52 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Perry Groves

Now theres a blast from the past!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 5:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Perry Groves

Now theres a blast from the past!
Yes, You can't keep a good footballing name down, hopefully a reminder of other legends (or not)
Old Sep 18th 2006, 7:13 pm
Starting over ..

bad.andy is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Hardly surprising. The immigration people aren't in Canada House.

Don't care where they are any more, job done